• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think that some pokemon types are unnecessary?

Would you change typing chart?

• Yes

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 126 78.8%

• Total voters

wolf1095

Grass Type Trainer
I personally don't see any reason that a current typing should be removed. I also don't see the need at all for a renaming, nor for two or more types to be merged.... Rock and ground are far from the same, Ice and water are far from the same, etc...

I wouldn't mind however, if new types were added.. not saying there SHOULD be new types, but i wouldn't argue against it... IMO, the only new typings that would fit and be different enough are Cosmic/Spacial (i don't like the "Alien" naming, but thats just me) and Light (Psychic, Electric, etc. are FAR from fitting under light in most cases if it were to be made).

So I don't think there should be any removals, merges, or renaming. If anything, there should be a new typing, but I don't think that is NECESSARY, imo. But i would fit.

I generally love the Ground-type.
I generally dislike the Rock-type.
Fact of the matter is, that they both could have been combined into a singular "Earth-type" originally.

Strangely enough, despite their existence, many people use the argument that certain types could NEVER exist because they are too similar to current types.
I have seen arguments that a "Light" type would be too similar to Psychic, Electric, or Fire.
Or that a "Magic" type would be too similar to Psychic.

Honestly, there are better reasons why these types shouldn't exist, but the argument that they are too similar to other types is not a valid one.

Freeze Frame

The only changes I would add to the type chart would be to give Poison a second super-effective hit (even though I still use it for its decent neutral coverage on stuff that gets STAB with it), and add one more SE hit to both Ghost and Dark to differentiate those attacking types further than just their resistances and STAB chances.

Not sure where I'd put them, though.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
The only changes I would add to the type chart would be to give Poison a second super-effective hit (even though I still use it for its decent neutral coverage on stuff that gets STAB with it), and add one more SE hit to both Ghost and Dark to differentiate those attacking types further than just their resistances and STAB chances.

Not sure where I'd put them, though.

Poison huh... Well, I would give it SE against Dark, Ighting and Normal, considering those three types are all "living-like" and since living creatures are suspectible to Poison, it would make sense.

And, I want a Move that makes Posion SE against Steel. Poison eats away at Steel anway, the immunity makes no sense.

PokemonTrainerKaden

I like the type chart. It gives a nice diversity to the game.

KillerDraco

Poison huh... Well, I would give it SE against Dark, Ighting and Normal, considering those three types are all "living-like" and since living creatures are suspectible to Poison, it would make sense.

And, I want a Move that makes Posion SE against Steel. Poison eats away at Steel anway, the immunity makes no sense.

I've always thought poison should be SE against water, personally. Water already has so few weaknesses (the least of the three starter types), and the logic would be that poison pollutes or taints water. But that's just me wishing water types' lives would be a little bit harder.

As for the original question of types being unnecessary... no. I think the type chart is fine. There's enough balance, and there isn't any single type that you could get rid of without drastically affecting the way the game plays.

Zachmac

Acid eats away at steel. Not poison; that only hurts organisms. That's why ghost resist it, most likely.

I've heard of an idea of a poison type attack called "acid" whatever that does double damage against steel types. I think that would be an okay idea, if it were implemented.

Elementer

Sword&Element Master
I think that the Type charts are pretty much good as they are. Sure, Poison is vastly underpowered in its offense because it's only SE against Grass, but a lot of Poison types have good diversity in their movepools or, at least, have a second type combination to take advantage of. If I could, then yeah, Poison SE against Bug would make sense, or something like that, but honestly, the move chart is for the most part really set in stone.

Messing with even one type - whether its resistance, effectiveness, immunity - or obviously, making or deleting an entire move type; that would really complicate and possibly make a mess of what is a pretty balanced type chart relatively.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Acid eats away at steel. Not poison; that only hurts organisms. That's why ghost resist it, most likely.

I've heard of an idea of a poison type attack called "acid" whatever that does double damage against steel types. I think that would be an okay idea, if it were implemented.

Acid is already a move :p

And Posion combines the two, thus why I said Poison.

bloodnmetal

I'd rework the type chart according to the japanese 5 elements and their respective synergy / mix with little or no modification:

Gogyo.35890226_std.jpg

ps.: Sometimes you can find Void (or even Metal) instead of Lightning, therefore it may.

• Gengar would be a Void poke
• Charizard would be a Fire+Wind
• Dragonite: Wind+Fire or Wind+Earth or Wind+Whatever but Water
• Crygonal: Wind+Water
• Gliscor: Earth+Wind
• Garchomp: Earth
• Infernape: Fire+Earth
• Galvantula: Earth or Earth+Wind (or lightning/Void - and yes, i know about the last one...)
• Metagross: Metal (Void, for that matter...)

although the above is just a sketch, you've got the idea, so need to argue about "omg, Metagross Metal? Galvantula Earth+Wind?!" and so on...

As it is a game and you wouldn't need to follow Godai or Gogyo by the book, allowing to expand the above typing chart to include Lightning, Void, Metal and even Wood, in their own category...

Last edited:

Colt45

Cobalt
Do I think some types are unnecessary? No, however, I feel like if they included a bug type, they should have included a bird type as well.

SteelKing 2012

An Iron Fist
The type chart is pretty well balanced, in my opinion. There are always going to be some typings that are weaker than others, but the fact is, getting rid of any types would be more trouble than it was worth, as Game Freak would have to reclassify loads of pokemon. I'd rather things stayed the same with the type chart, but if they really, really wanted to change something, it would be changing some of the less logical matchups, e.g Bug/Dark.

OnceDone

I used to think the same way, but now my views have changed.
Even though two types might seem very similar, they are all unique and different from each other.

Born Better

God of Lightning
The only useless types are light,sound,etc. They serve no real purpose and are already covered by what we already have.

Dinosti

I'm here, yeah...
I don't think any Pokémon types are useless at all. Fighting type does make sense after all, it harnesses the Pokémon psychical strength instead of elemental power. Ice and water wouldn't be a smart thing to group together, Ice beating Fire? That would be weird. Ghost is more of supernatural creatures or beings whereas Dark is all sorts of stuff, illusion, night time or dirty tactics. But not necessarily evil. Bug type is more unique I guess in some ways, if it fell under the grass type then it just seems to have something to do with plants.

shadorai

wandering trainer
i think all types are necessary, but i think they need to even out the types a little more. for example, types such as ice and steel have way too many weaknesses compared to other types, while types like poison and dark are only weak to a couple types. and i also think dragon should be super effective against normal. it just sounds right.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think that several of the types are unnecessary. Two of them because they aren't types at all but kinds of creatures (Bug, Dragon). I find Normal to be unnecessary because a single normal typing would basically render the Pokemon just a plain animal and it would actually be weak to almost all types (I don't see many animals in the real world surviving against flames and electrocutions and poisoning). Fighting I find unnecessary because it is no different than the Normal type. Fighting types are strong creatures. Great. So why is Strength a Normal type move? Why are certain punches and kicks typed Normal? Fighting and Normal should be one. Ground and Rock should be one. An Earth type would make more sense because sand (associated with Ground) is essentially broken up rock. The Earth (the ground) is rock. Flying should have been named Air or Wind because of Flying types' control of the wind. Not all Flying types can fly which is a major flaw. The argument that Ice and Water are similar to counter the Ground/Rock argument is ridiculous because Ice is the opposite of Fire. Water is a neutral. Ice might need water but the cold is what defines it. Dark fits with Fighting and Normal for the most part because Dark type moves are as necessary as they are elemental.

My basic judgment is that all types should be elemental. The fact that a Pokemon is a kind of creature or fights a certain way should not define its power because, in the end, in reality (for lack of a better word), elements such as fire, electricity, extreme cold, large masses of water or earth being dropped or thrown at something, or being poisoned would kill any creature regardless of how it fights.

Orithan

@Shadorai: Where the heck did you get the idea that Steel has too many weaknesses? Firstly; Steel has three weaknesses (Fire, Fighting, Ground) compared to Grass having five weaknesses (Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying, Bug). Secondly; Steel is single-handedly the best mono-defensive type in the game because it resists everything other than the three aforementioned weakness and Water and Electric (which are the only types that are neutral to it). Also, Dragon is powerful enough as it is already. We don't want to give it another SE hit just because it 'feels right'.

@SlowPokeBroKing: One of the ways that Pokemon distinguishes itself from other RPGs is the amount of types there are and that they are all balanced mechanically. Most RPGs have up to five or six elements, which works because you get much fewer playable characters to choose from. This simplified list of elements doesn't work in Pokemon because of the amount of different species of pokemon, all of which are 'playable' but must be 'unlocked' first, just wouldn't fit into them properly and they become less distinguishable (and memorable) as a result. Also, do you have any idea how valuable each type is in the competitive environment? Say we removed Bug? We lose a good counter to Psychic and Dark types, making foes like Latios and Hydregion much more threatening because then top threats like Scizor or Volcarona won't be able to stop them (not like that Scizor can stop Hydregion well anyway) and a valuable resist to Fighting, making it easier for Breloom and Conkledurr to smash holes through teams.
My other argument is that I believe that Normal is supposed to be the Neutral type, but giving it no weaknesses or resistances would leave it unbalanced. Considering that almost all Normal types are either birds or mammals, it made sense to give the type the weaknesses/resistances it got.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Ok, ever since gen 2, everyone wanted to know about the ??? type. It's kinda sad that they wasted a possible new type and make it ghost