• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think that there will be an Alolan Pokémon League Conference in the Sun & Moon anime series?

Do you think that there will be an Alolan Pokémon League Conference in the Sun & Moon anime series?

• Total voters

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Seeing as how Bewear has been known to stop TR from confrontin Ash and co. or stopping a battle half way through, I don't see how you can't see people presuming that.

Meh, in general the writers seem to be able to time Bewear pretty well. It usually doesn't take them away until they've concluded their role for the episode. I can't really think of a time where it really hindered the overall plot. It just replaces them getting blasted off once their plan has already been stopped, it prevents them from interrupting the flow of an episode where there's no place for them (like the Wishiwashi episode or the episode where they wanted to steal the Tapu), or just fakes out a victory for them after Team Rocket's actual role in the episode was already done.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Seeing as how Bewear has been known to stop TR from confrontin Ash and co. or stopping a battle half way through, I don't see how you can't see people presuming that.

I also stated that trials have always been treated with respect and seriousness.

This battle was labeled as a trial, and they spent multiple episodes leading up to it. There was more evidence suggesting it wouldn't happen for once.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Meh, in general the writers seem to be able to time Bewear pretty well. It usually doesn't take them away until they've concluded their role for the episode. I can't really think of a time where it really hindered the overall plot. It just replaces them getting blasted off once their plan has already been stopped, it prevents them from interrupting the flow of an episode where there's no place for them (like the Wishiwashi episode or the episode where they wanted to steal the Tapu), or just fakes out a victory for them after Team Rocket's actual role in the episode was already done.
I agree, but I still think it's a valid conclusion someone could make

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I also stated that trials have always been treated with respect and seriousness.

This battle was labeled as a trial, and they spent multiple episodes leading up to it. There was more evidence suggesting it wouldn't happen for once.

I saw what you said. I've watched the show. It's still a reasonable thought. The fight could've been up to a clash of the respective Pokémon's Z Moves and then still have them ready to continue but Bewear comes in (as this episode was mainly meant to showcase Mimikium Z).

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Honestly, I voted "Not sure". In my eyes, something is a league when all participants have gained entry based on an equal amount gained based on a set parameter: Badges (or heck, Ribbons for the GF-equivalent). Since we have heard that Kiawe also wants to join the league and with the entry-parameter being vague at best (4 Grand Trial wins? Kiawe currently only has one?) I don't see if I could take this "League" seriously enough or if it's just a glorified tournament with a low-level entry point (what I would consider one Grand Trial-win to be).

So yeah, if anybody can enter, I honestly don't consider a possible tournament at the end of this series as a "Pokémon League". But if everybody needs to complete every Grand Trial, then yes, sure, I'll consider it a Pokémon League. That being said, the hint of Kiawe also being a participant really makes me say: "Not sure" - it honestly feels like it is going to be a glorified Don Battle-arc, with the finals being Ash vs. Gladion.

lolipiece

Staff member
Honestly, I voted "Not sure". In my eyes, something is a league when all participants have gained entry based on an equal amount gained based on a set parameter: Badges (or heck, Ribbons for the GF-equivalent). Since we have heard that Kiawe also wants to join the league and with the entry-parameter being vague at best (4 Grand Trial wins? Kiawe currently only has one?) I don't see if I could take this "League" seriously enough or if it's just a glorified tournament with a low-level entry point (what I would consider one Grand Trial-win to be).

So yeah, if anybody can enter, I honestly don't consider a possible tournament at the end of this series as a "Pokémon League". But if everybody needs to complete every Grand Trial, then yes, sure, I'll consider it a Pokémon League. That being said, the hint of Kiawe also being a participant really makes me say: "Not sure" - it honestly feels like it is going to be a glorified Don Battle-arc, with the finals being Ash vs. Gladion.

Alola's never had a League before, so it would make sense if it's not the exact same as the others.

And why Kiawe can't beat the other trials offscreen?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Alola's never had a League before, so it would make sense if it's not the exact same as the others.

Agreed, it'd be neat if all the classmates went separate ways after graduation (right before the league) and then they all come back at the league and we get to see them powered up... although i'd also Love to see how they develop, so I'd want to see it all lol.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Agreed, it'd be neat if all the classmates went separate ways after graduation (right before the league) and then they all come back at the league and we get to see them powered up... although i'd also Love to see how they develop, so I'd want to see it all lol.
yeah, there could be a slight time skip (like the skip between the TF arc and the clemont episode) between graduation and the league

If the anime calls it a league, then it's a league. Whatever you "consider" it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Because it would be inconsistent with how this series has been done? NONE of the characters have even showed the slightest interest in beating the Kahuna's, except for Kiawe - but he hasn't expressed interest since we saw him beat Olivia in the flashback.

I'm having this sinking suspicion that a bunch of the main cast are just going to get sent invites and that's it. That by every definition would not make it a league, but a tournament.

But NONE of the classmates, bar perhaps Kiawe, have even expressed interest in doing Trials, much less Grand Trials. Lana did the Water Trial on accident of all things - and probably wouldn't have succeeded if she didn't have Ash's back-up.

It's also very inconsistent with the history of this show. Yes, we've seen Clemont go to Lumiose City to prep, but we haven't seen the main cast of this show go off on their own adventures at all - and it would be bad storytelling and writing to barely develop these characters towards this goal and suddenly have them developed over a timeskip. It would be a slap in the face.

If the anime calls it a league, then it's a league. Whatever you "consider" it.

Yeah, when every series up to this one is going out of their way to have a set system for allowing entry to the tournament, watch this one not have one and be open for all. If all you need to do to enter is show up, then it isn't a league and if the animé wants to pass it off as one, then they've dropped the ball. Not on me, but on them.

lolipiece

Staff member
Because it would be inconsistent with how this series has been done? NONE of the characters have even showed the slightest interest in beating the Kahuna's, except for Kiawe - but he hasn't expressed interest since we saw him beat Olivia in the flashback.

I'm having this sinking suspicion that a bunch of the main cast are just going to get sent invites and that's it. That by every definition would not make it a league, but a tournament.

...But the League is a tournament?

And Kiawe is the only other member who expressed even the slightest bit of interest, and the only one who's shown enough skill to actually justify participating. He's definitely going to be the only other main protag joining.

Ash's final Grand Trial is ways away, possibly. Maybe Kiawe will decide to do the other trials at some point during the interim and finish the last one after Ash does. There's usually a gap between the final battle and the League beginning.

ShadowForce720

...But the League is a tournament?

And Kiawe is the only other member who expressed even the slightest bit of interest, and the only one who's shown enough skill to actually justify participating. He's definitely going to be the only other main protag joining.

Ash's final Grand Trial is ways away, possibly. Maybe Kiawe will decide to do the other trials at some point during the interim and finish the last one after Ash does. There's usually a gap between the final battle and the League beginning.

You know actually thinking about it although it was special circumstances they could have it to where the time Kiawe beat Olivia for his Z-ring and Firium-Z winds up counting for his Grand Trial for that island meaning he would have 3 Grand trials left, and look at it, it's interesting to note that they went out of their way to specifically have Hala evolve his Crabominable, which I mean sure that pokemon had to be debuted somehow but they could have easily used a character of the day or something to debut it, so maybe the reason they had Hala evolve his Crabrawler was because they plan on having Kiawe battle him at some point, he would also have to take on Hapu and Nanu.

Maybe it's like we see him battle Hala on Screen and then maybe while Ash is taking on Hapu, Kiawe goes and challenges Nanu and that happens off screen or they could actually show it, and then maybe have him battle Hapu off-screen while Ash is preparing for the league or something. What do you think? Do you think they should show Kiawe's battles with Nanu and Hapu?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
if he does battle Nanu, I want to see some closure on who's perspective was right in regards to Z-moves.

regardless, this league probably won't be as impactful as previous leagues

Thumbs2

Kiawe is a main character, they won't be able to pull the "off-screen training and capturing" thing with him. They've never done anything like that with main characters before, we've always seen their growth happen on-screen.

Jessie got two of her showcase wins offscreen. Kiawe doesn't even appear in every episode like the old protagonists.

DatsRight

While there's not much hints the others doing the league, it would be interesting to utilise them if they followed the usual formula.

In XY the writers said they developed Alain because they wanted the guy who crushed Ash's dream to be a sympathetic character, not a prop. Imagine if they went one step further this series and made it one of the main characters. Yeah there's not much competition right now, but rules and power plays can change (Mallow suddenly has a super powered Pokemon without any training for example and most trainers we know don't even have full teams, suggesting there might be a balancing gimmick for Alola).

Also there's potential emotional conflict for said companion that knocks Ash out of the game. Imagine you have a friend you know dreamed constantly of winning this competition and you're about to shatter that dream into pieces. Oh, and also imagine this friend is basically a big cuddly 10-year old human version of Tigger that's always helping you and super happy and nice to you. I can just imagine the one beating SM Ash to have a heart wrenchingly guilt ridden 'I just kicked a puppy' reaction that would make any audience forgive them.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
While there's not much hints the others doing the league, it would be interesting to utilise them if they followed the usual formula.

In XY the writers said they developed Alain because they wanted the guy who crushed Ash's dream to be a sympathetic character, not a prop. Imagine if they went one step further this series and made it one of the main characters. Yeah there's not much competition right now, but rules and power plays can change (Mallow suddenly has a super powered Pokemon without any training for example and most trainers we know don't even have full teams, suggesting there might be a balancing gimmick for Alola).

Also there's potential emotional conflict for said companion that knocks Ash out of the game. Imagine you have a friend you know dreamed constantly of winning this competition and you're about to shatter that dream into pieces. Oh, and also imagine this friend is basically a big cuddly 10-year old human version of Tigger that's always helping you and super happy and nice to you. I can just imagine the one beating SM Ash to have a heart wrenchingly guilt ridden 'I just kicked a puppy' reaction that would make any audience forgive them.

I'd totally be down for Mallow beating Ash, but she and the class mates not called Kiawe really have no need to partake in it.
I'd be alright with Kiawe winning, they just got to show that he has other Pokemon or show him catching them. Rather than pulling four random Fire types out of his ass, and never showing them again after the battle.

DatsRight

I'd totally be down for Mallow beating Ash, but she and the class mates not called Kiawe really have no need to partake in it.
I'd be alright with Kiawe winning, they just got to show that he has other Pokemon or show him catching them. Rather than pulling four random Fire types out of his ass, and never showing them again after the battle.

Mallow would be an interesting twist if they actually played on the aforementioned detail and that sometimes the guy who works harder isn't the one who comes out on top (but I can see her just being another plot armoured companion). The 'guilt ridden winner' plot idea could work even greater with such a detail, especially if Ash was still nice and supportive to her but had that underlying 'sad clown' undertone to losing (ie. she could tell he was heartbroken but didn't want her to feel bad).

I keep having this theory that Ash will give Mallow Rowlet and Grassium Z at some point. Imagine Mallow having to take out Ash with his own gift.

Another decent contender for this would be Lillie, I don't think she could bear to make her idol and surrogate big bro sad.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Mallow would be an interesting twist if they actually played on the aforementioned detail and that sometimes the guy who works harder isn't the one who comes out on top (but I can see her just being another plot armoured companion). The 'guilt ridden winner' plot idea could work even greater with such a detail, especially if Ash was still nice and supportive to her but had that underlying 'sad clown' undertone to losing (ie. she could tell he was heartbroken but didn't want her to feel bad).

I keep having this theory that Ash will give Mallow Rowlet and Grassium Z at some point. Imagine Mallow having to take out Ash with his own gift.
I don't think that Ash will give Mallow Grassium. It will deprive Rowlet of its own Z-Move unless it fully evolves and gets Decidum, which is not a guarantee.

DatsRight

I don't think that Ash will give Mallow Grassium. It will deprive Rowlet of its own Z-Move unless it fully evolves and gets Decidum, which is not a guarantee.

Thats why I said Rowlet as well. There's not much foreshadowing, but it would explain why neither Rowlet has done much recently nor has Mallow got her secondary Pokemon yet. Probably get a funny 'Ohhh HELL no!' reaction from Tsareena at least. :p

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Thats why I said Rowlet as well. There's not much foreshadowing, but it would explain why neither Rowlet has done much recently nor has Mallow got her secondary Pokemon yet.
I don't think that Ash is giving Rowlet away either. But, this is a discussion better suited for the Pokemon speculation thread.