1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the anime's take on the Aether family is more superior or lacking compared to the games

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham On the right road

While I do enjoy that the anime actually acknowledges that Gladion and Lillie are siblings, I don't like their dynamic with Lusamine as much and that's probably because I prefer her game version. I mean in this version of Sun and Moon, it makes no sense why Gladion isn't at home with Lillie since he never had to seek refuge from Lusamine like in the games. Anyway what's your take?

SIDE NOTE: Something that's been bothering me is... Is Gladion Ash's age or is Lillie his age? Gladion was a fully talking young boy, by the time Lillie was born (which I suppose makes him about four years her senior) but he's about Ash's height. One could argue that Lillie is younger than Ash but then why are they in the same class (assuming Pokemon follows the age school system).

LilligantLewis likes this.
  2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "What are yeh looking at. Gimme my booty back."

Lacking.

The serious tension is basically replaced by a cheesy embarrassing parent tension. And as a whole, the entire story suffers since they were supposed to be the backbone.

SH65, mysticalglacia, Emelie and 4 others like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Banned

The Aether Foundation was one of my favorite things about the S/M games, but I do find it lacking in the anime given that some things were skipped over and other parts were watered-down. For instance, I really wish that Lilie had been Hoshigumo-chan's caretaker in SM like she was in the games. I also dislike that Gladio didn't infiltrate the Skull-dan the way that he did in the games, although his relationship with Lilie is more enjoyable to me in the anime.

4. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

I guess an abusive parent was too dark for the anime. I do like Lusamine's embarrassing mother role so it's fine.

I think he is a bit taller than Ash.

Majespectre likes this.
  5. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Lacking. And giving how most of the characters from the anime were toned down compared to their game counterparts in terms of competency along with the far less agressive vibe and show's history of rushing some arcs, I wasn't surprised on how that arc was delivered in the anime.

6. DuquÊ?

DuquÊ? Too lazy to pick a pic

It's comfy. If anything, we lost some good dynamics between Lusamine and Guzma, but I like of what we have now. I do appreciate Lusamine's anime take as a wonky mom who emabarass her kids, but had to recognize her own failure parenthood at first and how that troubled Gladion and Lillie for a long time.

At least, things are looking brigther to the Aether family compared to their bittersweet ending in the games.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    MockingJ and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  7. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

There was something bothering me about Lillie in the anime mostly that was her being scared of pokemon that important in the first season? Because I feel like after that she’s just normal now as if it wasn’t a thing before.

Majespectre and MockingJ like this.
  8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Mixed. I'm bothered by the lack of Lusamine's villainous nature, however her sympathetic qualities are less of an informed trait like in the original Sun and Moon

Majespectre likes this.
  9. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

I CAN ONLY SAY... I require more information to formulate such an well meaning opinion as I've yet to see the most recent episodes where I've been told Lillie & Gladion get better character development but at the very least before Meltan came, the anime's take on the Aether family is okay.

10. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Better in most areas due to the anime humanizing Lusamine, keeping a lot of things wrong with her as a parent and overall making us care that our heroes are trying to save her.

The catch... making Lusamine 100% not evil like in the games might be a turn off.

mehmeh1 and Agstrek like this.
  11. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Lacking. Lillie standing up to her mother had far more meaning and depth when her mother was abusive.

They took a scene that was supposed to be a beacon of hope for children who suffer abuse and transformed it into "oh i am pissed that my mother hugs me too much and evolved her pokemon without consulting me even though it wasn't my pokemon".

If they wanted to make Lusamine more sympathetic they could have dialed down her craziness and made her more human without removing what made her arc important in the first place.

Regarding Lillie and Gladion's relationship, i would say it's about the same. Despite being siblings, it doesn't really seem like they are that close, both in the anime and the games. They rarely see each other and most of the time they are doing their own thing.

LilligantLewis, SH65, mehmeh1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

Problem i am have Lusamine is she just a female version of G-cis ...at least she is more fleshed out then him .but yeah

MockingJ likes this.
  13. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Well, i think they both could certainly be seen as abusive parents in the games, but i believe Ghetsis didn't serve much of the role of a father. He was more like a corrupt advisor who let N be raised in the wild so he could develop a strong connection to pokémon (therefore, becoming the perfect king for Team Plasma).

In a way, N was kind of raised by pokémon rather than Ghetsis, a bit like Mogli and Tarzan were raised by animals. Meanwhile, although they had a completely disfunctional relationship, Lusamine was very much present in Lillie's upbringing to the point of Lusamine sleeping with her and dressing her even when Lillie was old enough to do it herself.

Personally, i think that N's character arc was more about learning to see the world from different points of views and accept opinions that are not the same as his own (which allowed him to see Ghetsis for the man he really was), while Lillie's character arc was more about standing up for herself and not allowing to be treated like an object, much like Lusamine treated her Pokémon. Not to say they didn't have some of these elements in BW's storyline, but in my opinion they weren't the main focus.

As antagonists, Ghestsis was more driven towards power while Lusamine was more driven towards obsession and compulsion. I would also say that, even though Ghetsis was pure evil, he still remained sane for most of the plot, unlike Lusamine.

So i would say that, despite sharing some similarities, they are still very different characters.

Emelie and wolf jani like this.
  14. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

Definitely lacking. They wasted Lusamine's whole evil thing, and failed to give Lillie her game plot. I didn't find Gladion convincing in the games with his over-the-top edginess and I find him even less convincing in the anime. I love the anime, but the games were outright amazing.

wolf jani likes this.
  15. Sham

Sham On the right road

You completely missed the point. I don’t like how the anime did the Arther arc either but you can’t downgrade Lillie’s valid feelings. It wasn’t about Lusamine “over hugging” Lillie. She was so busy with her work she was out of touch with her children’s feelings. So much to the point she completely ignored her daughter was traumatized and didn’t even go into deep depth about how it happened. Not to mention when she was around, all she did was force her own feelings on Lillie without considering her own. All very valid reasons to be angry at a parent. Abuse comes in all shades and forms and isn’t just black and white. Neglect is an abuse itself.

LilligantLewis and MockingJ like this.
  16. Leonhart

Leonhart Banned

I preferred Lusamine in the games since she was more of a threat there, although I can at least appreciate the way that Lilie stood up to Lusamine in the anime, and the fact that the dynamics between Lilie and Lusamine were handled a bit better in SM than in the games. I just wish that the Mohn subplot had been resolved ages ago.

Majespectre and MockingJ like this.
  17. Ignition

Ignition Incineroar wins yet again (proud of my son)

Definitely lacking as most of their interactions lack the same impact as the games’ storyline does. I think Lillie being scared of Pokèmon was a pointless replacement of her game counterpart’s struggles.

Also @Sham I’m pretty sure it’s mentioned that Gladion is older than both the player character and Lillie so I’d assume the same here

LilligantLewis, Sham and wolf jani like this.
  18. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

What? Those two characters could not be any more different. Ghetsis is a cold-hearted sociopath who has no love for N and no value of the life of others unless they are useful to him somehow. Lusamine on the other hand is a woman driven insane over the loss of her husband, feels betrayed by even the slightest disagreement from her children, feeling a sense of abandonment by her family that she tries to replace her love of her family with her love of Pokemon and by extension Ultra Beasts.

19. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Or gets consumed by vengeance and masked it into a messiah complex/ living up to being a protector of all. (USUM) and Since the Manga made things more clear in her treatment of her kids. Didn't want to let things go and became that controlling to her kids over it.

Ghetsis is a complete monster who only cared about himself and power. Lusamine wasn't meant to be portrayed as that in her debut and in all other adaptations past that, IS actually portrayed as human and sympathetic. (A caricature of an abusive parent was NEVER what they had going for her and I don't think the point of Lillie's story was ever meant to be "child standing up to her abuser" since no other adaptation DID that route again and even in SM... it ended the story with Lillie going forgiving and going back to her mother. I think something is very wrong with the ending to SM's story and the other adaptations did something to fix that.)

Besides the abusive parent factor, Lusamine and Ghetsis have next to nothing in common.

MockingJ likes this.
  20. MockingJ

MockingJ Banned

I don't like that the anime made Lillie less important than she was in the games since it also devalued the worth of Lusamine and Gladion. Even Mohn's been a loose end that will probably be tied up later, but it feels really late in the saga.