• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the Fairy-type is overpowered?

Do you think the Fairy-type is OP?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 89 73.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokepal148

Togekiss is the only one that really poses a major threat in my experience and alot of that is from it doing what it was already doing, (killing stuff with para-flinch, being annoyingly bulky,)

I don't think it's OP simply because it isn't that widespread.

Curo

Water Trainer
I don't see why it would be overpowered to be honest. I'm a fairy type trainer, and from experience, I know that the fairy type doesn't have high offensive stats. So its not like it can OHKO most dragons even if it is super-effective. The fairy type also gives poison and steel types a purpose to be used in battle, and for the most part, most of the fairies don't have a high Defense stat. If you use them correctly, they can be a threat, but for the most part, I wish GameFreak would add an offensive fairy.

I'm with you. I use a slurpuff every now and and then and it faints a lot...it has it's moments though. It's not the best fairy but I like it. And yes, I like the fact that poison and steel types get a boost. I love poison type pokemon. My sheer force Nidoking is a monster now.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
To everyone who is exclaiming that the type is OP but the Pokemon are not - you're right, it is very true that the vast majoirty of fairies included thus far are not overpowered at all, however, look at the topic title: it concerns the type itself, not the Pokemon. If we, say, assume a fairy type Pokemon with similar stats to Dragonite, a Pokemon with good offensive stats and satisfactory bulk, then just think of how overpowered it will be. There may not be many OP fairies yet, but they aren't going anywhere - in the generations to come I think it is safe to say that we will see quite a few and they will wreck havoc.

Wow, you're the first person I've seen who thinks Fighting didn't need a nerf

Sort of, I think that a defensive nerf (the adding weakness of the fairy-type) was completely unnecessary since Fighting types generally have low defensive stats, and
they already had weaknesses to the common Flying and Psychic types.
In terms of Offensive properties, perhaps they could have used a nerf considering their bulk amount of effectiveness coupled with their huge offensive stat totals, however, I used to think (and think even more now with the inception of Fairies) that it was not required since their low defensive stats makes the majority of them major glass cannons, so it kinda balanced out in my opinion.

Mr.FusRoDah

I hope they make a Fairy-Pseudo before too long. That would be awesome. I wonder what it would be. Would it be a Fighting/Fairy Minotaur, a placid looking Fairy/Dragon, or a Nightmarish Fairy/Ghost?

Speaking of Fairy-types, I see it as wise that the Pseudo of Gen 6 is mono-typed, since Dragons gained an enemy type this generation, and to have made it dual-typed would have been more of a burden on the little guy. Goomy already had to deal with other dragons and ice before then, and with the Fairy-type introduced, it was apparent that Goomy's lineage would be in danger if they didn't take the path of least resistance. I like how beastly Goodra actually is. A signature HA that rocks, bulky Spec. Def, decent offensive stats, and to top it all off, only has 3 weaknesses. Not bad. Not bad at all GameFreak. :)

Last edited:

Archaewok1

Imo, outside of normal and steel types, I think all types should have a set balance in strengths and weaknesses- perhaps 3 resistances, 3 weaknesses, and 3 types they are super effective against, or something like that, with pokemon types with immunities gaining one of their weaknesses as a stronger weakness. This would help to make the game a lot more balanced, because some types (like fighting) were/are overpowered ( in Gen 5, fighting had 3 resistances, 2 weaknesses, and 4 super effective against), while some were significantly under-powered (ice - 1 resistance [itself], 4 weaknesses, 4 super effective against). I'm okay with normal having basically nothing it is super effective against or resistant to, as it is supposed to be the average type, and I'm okay with steel have 6 or so resistances, as long as it has 5 or so weaknesses to balance it out, and it could be given 3 types to be super effective against (we have learned from the ice type that making any move super effective against many pokemon types means that other pokemon types will simply swipe those attacks and not use that type of pokemon so they can avoid the type disadvantages). Steel would be the anti-normal. As well, with their being, what, 18 types in the game? If a pokemon had 4 attacks and each attack was super effective against only 3 types of pokemon, that would mean it would be impossible for any pokemon to have an attack set that was super-effective against everything, leaving at least 1/3 of the pokemon types taking normal damage from any pokemon. Right now, the game is a bit of a joke. Balance doesn't really exist. Ice got nothing to help it out. Scizor was left untouched. Steel is still pretty strong, and honestly should have picked up a weakness to electric. Stealth rock is still overpowered. I'm surprised someone hasn't made a pixelmon mod with more balanced battle mechanics yet. And if they do make another generation of pokemon games, you can probably bet they will make an offensive fairy type. Steel was supposed to be rare due to its power, but look how many steel pokemon there are now.

Last edited:

Yogi Bear

King of Poke Games
The issue here is muddled by the other type changes that occured simultaneously upon the introduction of the fairy type.

The Fairy Type...

...takes double damage from...

...Poison-Type Attacks
...Steel-Type Attacks.

The significance of these match-ups is two fold. Steel prior to Gen VI was GREAT defensively but rarely used offensively. Who REALLY used Steel-Type Attacks? Adamant Serene Grace Jirachi's Iron Head, any user of Bullet Punch, uhh....yeah. Kind of about it. Steel only hit two things super-effectively: Ice and Rock. Both of which are hit by more common attacks that also hit a wider variety of targets (Flamethrower, Earthquake, Surf, Stone Edge...) It was for all intents and purposes only used for emergency coverage on things that would otherwise not have any other options (say Pidgeot with Steel Wing) or for STAB and Priority. By introducing a bunch of fairy-types that are really good for fighting, it only diversifies both the attacks used and the team combinations used.

On top of this, it gives people a reason to use Poison-type attacks. Let's be honest. The number of non-STAB Poison type attacks BEFORE Gen VI is a very short list consisting of Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and maybe the rare Venoshock. That's it. NO one used Poison type attacks because 1) Steel-types who are immune to poison were running around EVERYWHERE because of Stealth Rock and 2)Poison only hits Grass super-effectively and is resisted by GROUND, GHOST and ROCK (also Poison itself) which include a number of extremely powerful and useful Pokemon ranging from Gliscor to Gengar. Including a Poison-move was simply a bad choice in terms of oppurtunity cost.

By giving both Steel and Poison attacks SOME meaning in terms of offensive power, it allows a lot more Pokemon to have meaningful STAB attacks.

The fairy type...

...is resisted by...

...Poison type pokemon.
...Steel type pokemon.
....Fire type Pokemon.

Okay. I'll admit it. Steel resisting Fairy is not really super-important...or it wouldn't have been. But Steel's nerf to no longer resist Ghost and Dark means that it's Fairy-resistance is more important now. It's a net -1 defensively in terms of type resists but the fact remains that it's an important distinction that the Steel-Type is the defacto fairy killer.

Poison is also the rival fairy-killing type and is quite nice defensively actually: it has only two weaknesses to Ground and Psychic and a rather nice five resists including Fighting and Bug. The fact that is more relevant defensively means that Ground and Psychic are more relevant OFFENSIVELY (not that Ground needed it). While Psychic does see some use offensively, it's not as common as Fire, Ice, Ground, Rock, Water, or Electric.

Fire picking up another defensive resist is important because of Stealth Rock.

No. I'm serious. Remember how Charizard in DPP OU fell off the face of the earth because no one wanted to use Bellyzard? I still contend that Stealth Rock was THE most over-centralizing gameplay element in existence in recent memory, but the fact remains is that SR is really useful for checking Fire-types and giving people a reason to use Fire types is an important if confusing interaction.

The Fairy-type...

...is immune to...

Dragon-Type Moves.

The important thing here to note is not that the dragons have ways of "hitting around" the Fairy-type. It's that Choice-locked Dragon type attacks and/or Outrage can't just be spammed. You don't get to just send in Salamence and click Outrage to win once the Steels are gone. There's a whole bunch of people that that strategy is completely and utterly ignored. It encourages smarter play and it has a very weird if interesting fluff explanation for why it happens.

The Fairy-type...
...hits super-effectively on...
...the Fighting type.
...the Dark Type.
...The Dragon Type.

I have never understood why Fairy beats Fighting from anything except a gameplay standpoint. It's to nerf Fighting. It's so that Conkeldurr, and Machamp, and Infernape, and Blaziken, and Lucario Hitmontop, and Terrakion have to think twice. I don't understand HOW it works. I thought Psychic was the "magic" type (you know, like Quadratic Wizards vs. Linear Warriors?) so I'm not sure what's happening here.

I understand why it hits Dark super-effectively. It also nerfs the like twelve hundred (read: 30?) Pursuit users running around who just bashing on Ghosts and Psychics for the lulz. Think about it. This is way too cookie-cutter.

Vanilla Team A:
Stealth Rocker/Spiker
Spinblocker
Revenge Killer

Vanilla Team B:
Spinner
Pursuit-Trapper
SR-weak Sweeper

This also works alongside the buff that Dark got: it hits Steel neutrally now, but it is weak to Fairy now. So it's about a net +0.

Being super-effective to Dragon is note-worthy because besides other Dragons, the only thing that beat Dragons was Ice (which is admittedly super-common). This opens up some better options for Pokemon like Azumarill but this is mostly to nerf Dragons harder. Dragon is weaker offensively and defensively this generation and that is the important take-away.

So to answer the OP directly: I don't think that the Fairy-Type is OP, I think it has accomplished exactly what it needed to do, and that was shake up the status quo and rebalance the type match-ups so they people don't use Steels as much defensively and Dragons as much offensively.

Tonguetyd

Actually, since Dragon-type moves don't affect fairies, using Draco Meteor or Outrage is quite safe since an ineffective Draco Meteor doesn't incur a special attack drop and an ineffective Outrage breaks you free of using that move. This means Dragons can have even more fun spamming Outrage and Draco Meteor.
Also, Bullet Punch Scizor.

Rakurai

I'd have to agree that it has serious potential to become overpowered, just judging from how monstrous the few good Fairy types that do exist are.

Its two weaknesses are too uncommon (And still terrible attacking types overall), it has extremely good resists, and it has extremely good neutral coverage. Like Ghost, the only things holding it back are a lack of good Pokemon and stronger moves, which can easily be addressed in future generations.

If they want it to be balanced as the gens go on, it really needs a third weakness plus another type that resists it, IMO. Psychic would be an ideal candidate, since the type is lacking both offensively and defensively, plus it leans towards having high special defense, which would make them ideal counters to the special oriented Fairy types (Who presently can't be walled effectively by much of anything, as high special defense is a quality that's seriously lacking among the three types that do resist Fairy type STAB).

Last edited:

DoA1987

Master Strategist
Honestly I'm not too worried about the Fairy type but Steel type is not resistant to anything anymore! It's ridiculous! I was fighting a Mawhile online with my Scizor. When it used sucker punch I figured since I was steel/bug type it would .5 or .25 damage but NO it's just Regular! What did Nintendo do to steel types? Even a ghost type does regular to my Scizor WHO IS ALSO A BUG TYPE?!?!?! What happened to the beloved steel types???

Now I'm worried about fairy types because steel types have super low speacial defense and they're not resistent to anything anymore?!??

worldwaker

Elebug disaproves
no,not really,i'm more concerned about the steel and poison type.they NEEDED that bit of offencive boost,steel was only SE against ice/rock,teo not very commonly seen types,and poison was only SE against grass,however,steel still boasts an immpressive 8 resistances,abeit a net loss of 1

Last edited:

Tonguetyd

Honestly I'm not too worried about the Fairy type but Steel type is not resistant to anything anymore! It's ridiculous! I was fighting a Mawhile online with my Scizor. When it used sucker punch I figured since I was steel/bug type it would .5 or .25 damage but NO it's just Regular! What did Nintendo do to steel types? Even a ghost type does regular to my Scizor WHO IS ALSO A BUG TYPE?!?!?! What happened to the beloved steel types???

Now I'm worried about fairy types because steel types have super low speacial defense and they're not resistent to anything anymore?!??

Apparently being resistant to Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Normal, Flying, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Rock and Steel that happen to be over half of the type chart means nothing to you.

For me, I have to keep remembering that certain older Pokemon are part Fairy. Once I have that down I'll be fine. For instance, I was playing the Battle Maison today and I almost forgot that Wigglytuff is immune to Dragon attacks now. I wouldn't say Fairy is OP at all.

This is the whole point of my name
I done the pokemon league with sylveon with the most kills

Tonguetyd

This is the whole point of my name
I done the pokemon league with sylveon with the most kills

Beating in-game opponents is no estimation of strength. Wurmple sucks, but you can solo every game with the thing.

Also, Sylveon's an eeveelution, so it's overrated by default.

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel
To everyone who is exclaiming that the type is OP but the Pokemon are not - you're right, it is very true that the vast majoirty of fairies included thus far are not overpowered at all, however, look at the topic title: it concerns the type itself, not the Pokemon. If we, say, assume a fairy type Pokemon with similar stats to Dragonite, a Pokemon with good offensive stats and satisfactory bulk, then just think of how overpowered it will be. There may not be many OP fairies yet, but they aren't going anywhere - in the generations to come I think it is safe to say that we will see quite a few and they will wreck havoc.

Yeah, this is what the whole point of the thread was supposed to be about. I'm asking about the type itself, not about the Pokemon who have it. Perhaps mentioning Azumarill and Mawile in my opening post was a mistake. I know not all Fairy-types are crazy like them. I just hope that the people who voted so far are seeing the big picture and are thinking about what the Fairy-type can potentially turn into as it will no doubt be more and more common in future generations.

To be honest, I never thought Dragon was overpowered, let alone Fighting and Dark. I just thought some Pokemon with those types were really good compared to others. I know Hidden Power mentioned Dragon-type is so powerful because some of the Pokemon in it have such high stats. If that's the case, why not nerf those individual Pokemon instead of the whole type with another type that can potentially be OP itself due to having such advantageous strengths and weaknesses? Same goes Fighting and Dark. I know some Pokemon like Scolipede got a slight increase in stats for Gen. 6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but did any Pokemon get its stats nerfed?

I don't know. I guess as long as we don't get more Fairy-types that are riduculously strong like Azumarill/Mega Mawile and we get more good Poison and Steel-types, it'll be fine for the most part. But I can't help but think Game Freak used a band-aid on the problem instead of fixing it at its source.

I mean, it annoys me that truly OP Fighting-type Pokemon like Blaziken are literally not affected by the Fairy-type, and are as strong as ever thanks to having a Mega Evolution. And didn't Mega Lucario get banned recently? Would that have happened if it were weak to Fairy?

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
The coverage given is quite good in my humble opinion. But overpowered? Nah. It's easy to counter and none pf the members which have this type are particularly strong. Tbh, never had any problem with them, except with Sylveon, but Bullet Punch Scizor is awesome, hehe.

I tend to think an OP Type was Steel, considering it's resistances.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
In that case I apologize.

Yes, if we are talking about types fairy could maybe be considered overpowered.

But then again, fire could be considered overpowered as well. It's strong against four types. Yeah, it has weaknesses commonly used, so there is that. But the fact that fire can beat steel-types who are for the most part very defensive so easily does kinda make it overpowered. Ok, maybe not overpowered but still powerful. Especially since Scizor is being used a lot.

The three types fairy is strong against are indeed types being commonly used in online Pokémon battles.

It is tough for me to talk about a type without mentioning the Pokémon who are of that type. If I get anything I said wrong, that's the reason.

Rakurai

I think if they intend to keep the Fairy type balanced in the future when it'll no doubt be packing numerous strong Pokemon and stronger attacks, it at minimum needs to lose the Bug resist, gain another weakness, and have another type resist it.

Ideally, I'd want Psychic to be strong against it and have Psychic and/or Ice resist it., since those types are rather lacking in those regards.

I'd also want it to hit Ghost for SE damage instead of Dark, considering that Ghost currently is completely superior to Dark both offensively and defensively, which is just idiotic to me.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
It's a fairly (getit?) good type, but certainly not overpowered in my opinion. Dragon was way more overpowered in the previous gens, being only weak to itself and Ice while resisting a ton of other types. Fairy balances this out by serving as a Dragon counter.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
The two biggest mistakes they did not compensate for is the additional bug resist (seriously they type was already one of the most resisted in the game...)
and the ice type not getting a resistance...
Ice one could argue is geared solely to be a sweeper due to lacking any resistances and having weaknesses to rock fire fighting and steel unfortunately GF has made almost all ice types defensive which insures they will be one shoted by most Pokemon and be useless for you team a fact most evident by Kyurem being a generally underpowered Pokemon despite its very high BST (there are exceptions)

I don't get how "balancing" the game has to hurt the worst off types...

Status
Not open for further replies.