• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the Fairy-type is overpowered?

Do you think the Fairy-type is OP?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 89 73.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
just because the type is powerful on paper doesnt mean the pokemon themselves are overpowered. like someone said earlier in the thread, some fairy types are amazingly good at what they do (mega gardevoir, klefki, azumarill) but the rest arent very useful simply because of their stat distributions and honestly, even movepools. the lack of offensive fairy type moved really hinders the type. for example, dedenne could really use moonblast and it doesnt have amy access to it. and other fairy types like slurpuff have the same issue where its main offensive stat isnt supported by its movepool. quite a shame really but i believe like some others, the pokemon are not powerful enough, though becsuse of its type matchups, giving a lot of fairy types 600+ bst will definitely destroy the metagame. so my ideal solution? keep their bst's relatively low as they are now and heavily improve their moveset. that way you will need to know how to use a fairy type instead of them naturally being overpowered.

anybody agree?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It has the potential to be OP. But right now? No. I mean before Dark and Steel types came out, Fighting Pokemon were among the most underrated Pokemon around. Look at them now. If nothing else, Fairy Pokemon give Poison Pokemon a reason to exist on a players team. Steel types get more love now as well. And now I don't need to be afraid of my Unova nightmare anymore that was named Hydreigon. I feel like Fairy types would have always got the Fighting and Dragon coverage but they added the Dark one as a big middle finger to Hydreigon. I don't feel Fairy Pokemon are overpowered yet. I have yet to battle one that really gave me a challenge.

Rakurai

I feel like Fairy types would have always got the Fighting and Dragon coverage but they added the Dark one as a big middle finger to Hydreigon..

That honestly wouldn't surprise me at all, considering that it was one of the most popular Pokemon in the VGCs last year.

Hopefully they'll realize that they seriously screwed up once they notice that it's practically the only Pokemon that's seen a sharp drop-off in its usage, whereas other staples like Garchomp and Dragonite haven't budged at all.

XSilverStarboyX

While I haven't had any issues with it in game. I just thought the whole fairy type was tacked on and not necessary. I mean, when they added Dark and Steel during Generation 2, it made sense. Because back in RBGY, a strong psychic type could easily wipe out an entire team without breaking a sweat. And on that same note, Fighting could be very powerful but had so many weaknesses, it was usually knocked out before it had a chance to do anything. So those two types made sense to balance things out. I just don't really know why Fairy type was made, but it hasn't hindered my gameplay at all;152;

bailey.ga

I wouldn't say it's op, I always carry toxic spikes, either Metagross or Gengar (which knows sludge bomb) sometimes both, and Ferrothorn and I only use my Goodra as a defensive pokemon and to stall when the opponent is poisoned. It's never caused me any problems.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
The Fairy type has caused more Dragons to carry Flash Cannon, Iron Head/Tail and Sludge Bomb to counter them, and most Fighting/Dark types get Poison Jab or Sludge Bomb anyway, so the Fairy type actually caused a wider movepool, as most teams had to carry at least two Ice Beam users to deal with Dragons, but actually wielding Fairy types is problematic, hence the common split typing.

Also, am I the only person who hinks that Dazzling Gleam should have a chance to drop the opponent's accuracy? it is a 'powerful flash', and the animation isn't that different from Flash, so it should have something to seperate it from Moonblast aside from the wide-range.

Rakurai

The Fairy type has caused more Dragons to carry Flash Cannon, Iron Head/Tail and Sludge Bomb to counter them, and most Fighting/Dark types get Poison Jab or Sludge Bomb anyway, so the Fairy type actually caused a wider movepool, as most teams had to carry at least two Ice Beam users to deal with Dragons, but actually wielding Fairy types is problematic, hence the common split typing.

Also, am I the only person who hinks that Dazzling Gleam should have a chance to drop the opponent's accuracy? it is a 'powerful flash', and the animation isn't that different from Flash, so it should have something to seperate it from Moonblast aside from the wide-range.

Most players still don't even bother carrying Steel/Poison coverage, because it's either not strong enough to warrant using it over your STAB moves (A good example being Garchomp with Earthquake, which is only 10 BP weaker then a SE Poison Jab), or it doesn't allow the Pokemon in question to reliably stand a chance against Fairy types. IE, Hydreigon can learn Flash Cannon, but most won't even bother with it because it can only two hit KO Fairy types at best, meaning if you don't hit them on a switch-in, you're out of luck. It also doesn't help that Poison and Steel are only good for hitting Fairy types, due to having redundant coverage with multiple, better coverage types, meaning you're hurting your ability to deal with numerous other Pokemon if you sacrifice a moveslot for a Poison or Steel move.

The only thing it's done is make dual type Poison and Steel Pokemon actually bother using both of their STAB types more of the time.

They still need to improve the effectiveness of Poison and Steel as attacking types further by making them hit more types for SE damage, make them not be resisted by so many common types, and giving them more moves and Pokemon (Mostly in Poison's case) that are actually worth mentioning.

SurfingPenguins

The Fire Magician
Personally No..but i have a feeling that eventually they will be when more good Fairy type Pokemon are shown (I do really like the Fairy type but man..we should of gotten much better Fairy Type Pokemon in Gen 6)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
That honestly wouldn't surprise me at all, considering that it was one of the most popular Pokemon in the VGCs last year.

Hopefully they'll realize that they seriously screwed up once they notice that it's practically the only Pokemon that's seen a sharp drop-off in its usage, whereas other staples like Garchomp and Dragonite haven't budged at all.

I just find it too convenient that a beast like Hydreigon gets introduces in a generation and in the very next generation a new Fairy Type comes along and clips it's wings. It's not surprising as Dark types did the exact same thing to Psychic Pokemon. Hard to believe Psychic Pokemon use to be the top type back during the Red and Blue days. Dark types come along and put a end to that. Now it looks like Fairies are doing the same with Fighting, Dragon, and Dark types. I guess I don't mind, because again I don't have to fear Hydreigon's anymore. If only Fairies existed in Gen 5. I hate you Ghetsis DX

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
4x weaknesses mean squat. Yeah it got a new weakness but look at Tyranitar, it's still kicking with a 4x weakness to Fighting and a new Fairy weakness. Sure it's not as great as it was in 5th gen but it's still better than most non-Uber Dragons. Plus it packs Flash Cannon to deal with them too (although Florges or Clefable can probably tank one).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Fairy Pokemon won't become overpowered until we start seeing some with duel types that are resistant to Poison and Steel types. For now Fairies are fine. I seriously think Hydreigon was one of the reasons Fairy Pokemon exist to begin with. It's not the only one, but probably one of them. Fairies were made to depower the thing. Unless your using Dark/Dragon or Fighting/Dark, Fairies are nothing to fear. The biggest problem I've had with Fairies is the old Pokemon that got the Fairy type. I can't begin to tell you how many times I faced Mr. Mime and expected to Dark Pulse it in one hit before it sets up Light Screen/Reflect, only to remember it's a Fairy Pokemon and it lives through Dark Pulse. Suddenly the difference between Dark type moves and Ghost type moves becomes important again.

Rakurai

Tyranitar hasn't lost any of the qualities that made it popular, and it's only gotten better this gen between getting a Mega Evolution that lets it actually get some mileage out of its special movepool and the Assault Vest making it virtually impervious to special attacks when coupled with Sand Stream's boost.

Hydreigon was already struggling to keep itself relevant because of its speed stat, and losing the two things that made it good compared to other Dragon types (Lack of a 4X weakness and flawless type coverage) has cemented it a place in mediocrity (At least far as a pseudo legendary goes) unless it gets some new moves and/or a decent mega evolution in a future game. It's made worse by the fact that it can't do squat against most of the Fairy types, whereas Garchomp and Dragonite can still plow through them if they have attack boosts active.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Most faries are focused around defending and attacking from the special side making them not all that great against physical attackers (outside of dragon and fighting) and special walls.

Faries are not OP they just captalize on the abundance of dragon and fighting type pokemon being used, realy all they are is a wake up call to the fact that other offensive options exist.

To put this in different light if we all for the most part used water types for multiple generations but then they released a electric as a new type that type would seem OP.

Bottom line: Faries aren't op they're just an answer to an over centralized metagame.

Rakurai

The topic is more on the subject of the Fairy type itself, not the Pokemon possess the type.

As it stands, it could be considered the strongest defensive type in the game overall, as it's not balanced out by having a weakness to a common attacking type(s) like the two other defensive powerhouses of Ghost and Steel do. It's a typing almost any monotype Pokemon would desire as a secondary type because of how hugely its pros outweigh the cons. Ghost types have to be afraid of Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Steel types have to fear the ever common Earthquake, Fighting type moves, and Fire type moves.

Fairy types? Nothing. Poison and Steel have horrible distribution, are resisted by a huge number of types, and lack powerful moves overall.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
How common an attack type is shouldn't be factored into the strength we believe another type to have.

As I said in my last post fairy is simply a response to an over centralized metagame.

They're only OP if everyone uses the types they're good against which could be said for any type.

Also from a weakness stand point I'll admit that what they're weak to isn't well distributed.

One could however argue that what they resist (outside of fighting) isn't very well distributed either with dragon moves being almost none existant off of their STAB owners and dark being very uncommon.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
While I haven't had any issues with it in game. I just thought the whole fairy type was tacked on and not necessary. I mean, when they added Dark and Steel during Generation 2, it made sense. Because back in RBGY, a strong psychic type could easily wipe out an entire team without breaking a sweat. And on that same note, Fighting could be very powerful but had so many weaknesses, it was usually knocked out before it had a chance to do anything. So those two types made sense to balance things out. I just don't really know why Fairy type was made, but it hasn't hindered my gameplay at all;152;

That's where you're wrong.

Pokémon with the dark/ghost combination had no weaknesses in the past, now they do.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
That's where you're wrong.

Pokémon with the dark/ghost combination had no weaknesses in the past, now they do.

Foresight or Odor Sleauth could be used to give them Weaknesses, and a similar situation now exists in the Tynamo line, despite them not recieving new Weaknesses.
And there is one Ghost/Dark Type and one Dark/Ghost Type, compared to three Electric Type without a Weakness.
Now, for balancing, which one would lessen the amount of things with no Weakness?

Rakurai

dark being very uncommon.

The Dark type hasn't been uncommon as an attacking type ever since the special/physical split, due to it being the only decent option a lot of Fighting and Normal types have against Ghost types. This gen, it's even more common thanks to the huge buff Knock-Off got, coupled with type's ability to hit Steel for neutral damage.

Which is partly why Fairy is so ridiculously good defensively.

And another thing I don't get about the type balance wise: Why the heck do Play Rough and Moonblast get to have a 30% chance on their additional effect vs. the usual 10% of 90 BP attacks?

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Foresight or Odor Sleauth could be used to give them Weaknesses, and a similar situation now exists in the Tynamo line, despite them not recieving new Weaknesses.
And there is one Ghost/Dark Type and one Dark/Ghost Type, compared to three Electric Type without a Weakness.
Now, for balancing, which one would lessen the amount of things with no Weakness?

Yeah, but you would have to waste a turn using either of those moves.

You don't have to if you have a fairy-type move.

Status
Not open for further replies.