• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the Fairy-type is overpowered?

Do you think the Fairy-type is OP?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 89 73.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
The Dark type hasn't been uncommon as an attacking type ever since the special/physical split, due to it being the only decent option a lot of Fighting and Normal types have against Ghost types. This gen, it's even more common thanks to the huge buff Knock-Off got, coupled with type's ability to hit Steel for neutral damage.

Which is partly why Fairy is so ridiculously good defensively.

And another thing I don't get about the type balance wise: Why the heck do Play Rough and Moonblast get to have a 30% chance on their additional effect vs. the usual 10% of 90 BP attacks?

Play Rough excuses it with it's slightly lower accuracy, Moonblast is high value I'll admit though

As for dark I still very rarely see a person use knock off and the only dark move I commonly see is dark pulse greninja.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I find it funny that Game Freak went through the effort to balance the type chart but yet didn't give Ice type the buff they sorely needed. Personally I think that Fairy have made Ice type Pokémon so useless now.

Fairy is SO OVERPOWERED! I don't see how over 70% of voters said it wasn't! It's IMMUNE to Dragon!!!

Tonguetyd

Fairy is SO OVERPOWERED! I don't see how over 70% of voters said it wasn't! It's IMMUNE to Dragon!!!

Which breaks them out of Outrage and has Draco Meteor not lower special attack!
Oh noes!!!

SurfingPenguins

The Fire Magician
I find it funny that Game Freak went through the effort to balance the type chart but yet didn't give Ice type the buff they sorely needed. Personally I think that Fairy have made Ice type Pokémon so useless now.

Which is why i am sure we are going to see Fairy types become weak against Ice

Rakurai

Thematically, Ice resisting Fairy would make sense. Making it hit for SE damage would completely overshadow Poison and Steel as Fairy killing types, though.

It should get weaknesses to other more uncommon coverage types like Psychic and Bug instead.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Do I have to repeat myself?

Fine, I will.

Thanks to the introduction of fairy-types poison-types will be used more often.

And don't even dare taking that away from them by giving fairy-types more common weaknesses.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Nope. I always said Ferrothorn and Scizor will always keep the fairy type Pokemon in their place.

And other Pokemon like Venasaur really keep them in check.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
If there is one type that could be considered overpowered it's definitely ghost.

I mean there is only one type resistant to it and one type immune to it.

I understand that two resistances had to be removed off steel as it was resistant to too many types.

But the fact that only two types are resistant or immune to it really isn't a good thing.

And at the top of that ghost-types are immune to the most powerful attacking type in the games.

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
I think the typing is pretty strong, but the pokemon that got are pretty meh. 90 % of dragons and fighting types are physical, while fairies are focused in special defense. I still think the fairies need their own tyranitar, before we really have the power to say how good they are.

KaijuMAxis115

Dragon Tamer
In short:
Absurdly.

In long:
They at overpowered, but not for the same reasons everyone said dragons were. Mostly, its a few choice individuals that are overpowered, namely Gardevoir.
Mostly it is due to how they are super effective on three of the most effective damage dealing types, who are all very well established to have their weaknesses, and it is easily known how to use them, the only reason many people said dragon type was overpowered was they were using the wrong choice in words, dragons were 'overpowered' (I use quotes because, they were, in reality, actually pretty frail to anyone who knows how to use them) because of their massive stats, due to most being pseudo-legendaries, or even legendaries themselves. Yes, they had only 2 weaknesses, but dragons were often the victims of a dual-weakness, and no super effective STAB except against one of their own and, with a few exceptions, relatively low defense. Where as Fairies so not have any of these problems, they have massive special attack and defensive stats, meaning they dishout a lot of punishment and take almost none, take no damage from dragontypes, have the same number of weaknesses as dragons, albeit they are far less common and viable to be used against fairies, are super effective against 3 types, and, this has to be the biggest reason, one of the types they are weak to, poison, may as well not even be there because most all fairies can learn the TM Psychic.
YEah, dragons may be overpowered because they hit hard, but even so, that is their big flaw, that is *all* they can do for the most part, even their support moves, like dragon dance, only exist to further beef up their own offensive potential, and leaves them vulnerable, where as fairies are not as vulnerable, do to their massive defenses, very uncommon weaknesses, massive movepools that can negate any cause for alarm if facing one of the weaknesses due to a lack of viable anti-fairy (steel and poison type) attacks, it all culminates in a type that is far move of a problem that the type is was supposedly meant to balance out. YEs, dragons were powerful, and we all love them because of that, but even then, they weren't infallible, quad weaknesses, and most being heavily reliant on knocking opponents out fast made them easily crippled by status moves, (most dragons are physical destroyers, a burn would more than destroy a dragon's potential) where as no such conditions exist for fairies, and many know moves that can heal themselves with draining moves, something very few, if any, dragons can do.
Its actually very unfortunate because the whole purpose of the gen 6 games was to make the fans love the idea of fairies and Mega's, and in the process, it made both far too good to be likable, leaving a lot of people split on them. I'm not going to lie, I am very fond of dragon types, I always use one, and going against (gen 6) fairy types is down right unfair for a dragon type, then generation 7 ones are far more balanced, but it seems the damage has already been done. I would love nothing more then to like fairy types, but after seeing what they are like, there seems to be no viable justification for why they are as powerful as they are.

Sorry if that was a bit long, but there is a lot to say on a topic like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.