1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the next generation(s) will surprise us?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Jeal, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

The recent movies have changed the formula and presented an alternate universe. The actual saga replaced the gyms, abolished the travelling, focused on comedy over action and presented a bigger cast than past sagas. Sounds like the writers are more comfortable in making drastic changes in the formula of the anime than past times. Do you think that they can make even greater changes in next saga(s)?

In fact, even the games, since BW are being less previsible. Stuff like B2W2, Mega Evolution, Z-moves, ultra beasts and lack of gyms.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Moonlit Raven

I think so. There is a high possibility of some major changes happening in the next series one way or another. I think Ash losing leagues and Team Rocket are here to stay though.

Satoshi & Touko likes this.
  3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

The true surprise would be if they stopped this damn Kanto pandering that started after BW ended.
    All I think about when I picture gen 8 is "How's Kanto going to be forced on us this time?"

Ash only having one companion would be a pretty nice surprise though

4. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

I hope so. In more part in story, but with return of adventure formula and regular battles. Becoming more deep and realistic, with going in side of shonen. Somehow near with newest Kamen Rider seasons (Ex Aid and Build), which was deep and emotional, but have fun gags. And, even they to more light and fun, it should really fun and pleasant, not annoying (and sometimes insulting) like in SM, like in Kyoryuger. And - someone should leave... Well, you already know.

Redstar45 likes this.
  5. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

Eh i would rather have girl (leaf /blue ?) from Ash's hometown pallet town show up gen 8 and yes i know it is unlikely to be happened anyway but it would be interested if writer-director starting connection from Pokemon anime universe to game universe bit more then we give from them in ag-XYZ era .

6. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to think the following gen, unless the games themselves really change things up, will likely be a refine and balance of what SM has offered with maybe the odd new idea. That tends to be the pattern, we have one experimental series that tries all sorts of new ideas and twists (if often at the cost of proper direction) while the following is a moderation that either develops or tones down what the previous series offered. Take AG and then DP for example, or BW and then XY.

7. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

The next generation always give us surprises. It'll be nice if they made traveling more appealing like utilizing their PokeRide features and less reliant on the group sleeping in generic forests unless necessary like their Charizard is injured.

Also bring back reserves. I want to see more of Ash's older Pokemon appearing. They're more extinct than his past traveling companions.

8. Redstar45

You know that generic Forest are going to be again and rest of the Ash's Pokemon? That cost too much money you know and most actors do have other jobs and life outside do Pokemon anime show .

9. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

In my honest opinion I only think people include DP with XY concerning the series being toned down just to make XY look less like the odd ball out. DP gave us Ash’s first co-star, Paul, expansions on Contests and actually allowing Dawn to lose them, Ash used more reserves than ever, Counter Shields and different ways to expand moves and much much more.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  10. DatsRight

I just hope they didn't go back to the 'classic era' setup full-time like XY did, with COTD and TR driven plots making up nearly every filler (and often half the non-fillers). I'm too used to versatile plots now that I cringe whenever the normal formula returns, especially since its blatantly run stale now.

11. Redstar45

Look it is going to be happened regardless of what you think that team of writers should or shouldn't do with the Pokemon anime show and fact we are not main focus (we are the western don't really matter to them) only younger Japanese kids do matters.

12. DatsRight

Yeah but SM often changes up the formula while still aiming at a younger audience.

13. Redstar45

Maybe....but there is chance that could run stale just as much as classic stuff that Pokemon anime show is know to be ?
    I mean you do know that could definitely be happened in near future of the Pokemon anime universe right ?

14. DatsRight

At least it's a choice of two formulas, and one hasn't been run into the ground for over TWO DECADES.

15. Redstar45

Well .....maybe you're right about that but it is up to Pokemon company and team of writers should decide on that not us Westerners fans but only small kids in the Japan that can force that decision that could make writers choose do new ideas in next gen anime in eary or late 2020 and from what i heard there is rumored that sun and moon anime is doing not well for Pokemon company and are planning on use m22 to softe rebooted the Pokemon anime again for next-generation Pokemon anime in next Year or so and i do not know that is true or not but it is what i have heard from Twitter and YouTube channel that are talking about past few months ago ...,maybe longer ?

16. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist A caustic critic among überfans

Don't listen to Twitter and YouTube. Especially the Western side of Twitter/Youtube. They have even less to go on than the Japanese side.

Anyway, of course they'll surprise us. No one ever thought that a temporary evolution mechanic would be introduced before Gen VI. The Gym system being removed in Gen VII was also a total blindside.

17. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

It cost more money for them to not put the characters in another generic forest? I thought we've moved past the Flintstones' era of repeating backgrounds!!

I have no clue what you're trying to say tbh.:p

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  18. Redstar45

I kinda know that and i was just put it out on serebii.

19. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Please God no.

I hope it's a girl I'd ship them so hard.

How was AG lacking proper direction? I thought it was the best series to date at the time. In fact I still think it's the second-best series behind DP.

What do you mean about actors' lives? I don't get it

20. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

SM has surprised me greatly, so I think the next saga will, too. Perhaps it won't be a good surprise if the next saga follows the standards set by XY, but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see a return to basics like in Best Wishes.