• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the remakes render the older games obsolete?

Manchee

extra toasty
Some remakes like HGSS are amazing and worth playing compare to others. Black 2 and white 2 was a great remake and it shows how black and white should have been like (rather than an extremely small 30 hours game). Other remakes try to improve the graphics and certain battles (elite four, champion and gym leaders)...

BW2 were not remakes, though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I don't necessarily think so. People still play the original games years after their first release, even when the remakes come out. Updated graphics are nice, but sometimes you just can't beat good old nostalgia. ;)

I still get wishes to play the original Silver and Ruby even when I own their remakes.
Word. I'm playing Crystal right now and I'm having just as much fun as I did on my first play through. And now with that much more experience playing the series, it's even more fun.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don’t think remakes make the older games obsolete. Players will always have memories of older games and still play the originals no matter what.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Word. I'm playing Crystal right now and I'm having just as much fun as I did on my first play through. And now with that much more experience playing the series, it's even more fun.

I'm really glad Nintendo decided to put the Gen 1 and 2 games on the 3DS VC. It's all the nostalgia on a new console, and you don't have to worry about the battery running out. ;)

Universal Loser Riley

Leader of the Universal Losers Ink
Personally, I never touched Generation 1 or 2 and still try not to when it comes to their physical releases as they are trapped there for eternity, but since they have been released on the Virtual Console I find it easier to play through RBY/ORAS on there instead of the GBA games as that way I can play every region in some form on one system.

I certainly don't feel like any are obsolete, but as for ease of play ORAS definitely gets a lot more playtime out of me than RSE do these days.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm really glad Nintendo decided to put the Gen 1 and 2 games on the 3DS VC. It's all the nostalgia on a new console, and you don't have to worry about the battery running out. ;)
Definitely. My old Silver and Crystal versions both died, and it was soon after I tried restarting one of them. So it's great to have the option to play through them without the battery issue hanging over it.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Personally, I never touched Generation 1 or 2 and still try not to when it comes to their physical releases as they are trapped there for eternity, but since they have been released on the Virtual Console I find it easier to play through RBY/ORAS on there instead of the GBA games as that way I can play every region in some form on one system.

I certainly don't feel like any are obsolete, but as for ease of play ORAS definitely gets a lot more playtime out of me than RSE do these days.

Following in the steps of the Gen 1 and 2 games, the Gen 3 games (the originals, not the remakes) may get a re-release on either the 3DS or the Switch. If the Switch even gets a Virtual Console.

PirateKing

Its an interesting case, it really depends per game.
For Gen 2, I say yes. HGSS added SO MUCH and took away practically nothing. The only reason to go back to play GSC is if I'm feeling nostalgic for the sprites and art style, but even then, HGSS has all the original music with the GB Player! (Which I normally just Gameshark into the beginning of the game to toggle whenever I feel like)

For Gen 3, Emerald and ORAS each did amazing things, and its hard to tell which I like more. Emeralds rosters for the Gyms Leaders, Extra features like Safari Zone, Marine/Terra Cave, Both Evil Teams and of course the Battle Frontier make it one the best games, BUT the improvements to the Story, Characters, Graphics, Music, Modern Mechanics, etc. make it really hard to go back. (And hey, as much as I love the Battle Frontier, I doubt Im ever gonna raise a competive enough team in third gen to actually play it)

Gen 1 is gonna be interesting. FireRed and Leafgreen are my favorite games ever, but I'll admit the sprites and music are a little bland even compared to RSE, but it got so many things added to it like the Sevii Islands, thats not even a concern. I'm curious to see if Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee will manage to top it. I think the PoGo mechanics have potential to be fun, and I really dont mind the removal of things like Held Items or breeding (They were never really needed for Gen 1 or FRLG)
Little iffy on being locked to the fist 151 only, but I dont mind that nearly as much as others. A smaller roster will let Gamefreak give more attention to each mon and force them to get creative with Game Mechanics with them!
What does bother me is that they replaced Red and Blue as the PC and Rival. That simple story and character dynamic was one of my favorite parts of Gen 1, so I'm upset seeing it removed, but I trust Gamefreak knows what they're doing with their characters and have something special planned.
On the flipside, the new Kanto looks and sounds amazing! Overworld Pokemon make it much more alive and Mega Evolution is in! If they add in the Sevii Islands, or atleast some postgame island equivalent, and add in the only things Kanto was missing (A way to rematch Gym Leaders and a Battle Tower equivalent, preferably both in one like Gym Leader Castle or the Battle Tree) and if they really flesh out Kanto as much as they can, atleast to the equivalent of modern games,
I could see LGPE overtaking FRLG as my favorite games! (Maybe until Gen 8 comes along and blows me away too!)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer the original games over the remakes, although as far as the upcoming remakes of Yellow version are concerned, I'd much rather play LG/FR than purchase the new games even if LG/FR are irrelevant these days.