• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the remakes render the older games obsolete?

gentwoer

That is FR/LG to Red/Blue HG/SS to GS and ORAS to RS. I would say yes with the latter two but not so much the GBA remakes of gen 1.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
One could argue that each generation makes the previous generation obsolete. But no, newer isn't always better. For example several people apparently hated OR/AS despite loving R/S/E, may of them for the lack of a Battle Frontier. Meanwhile I, and I know it's not a popular opinion, didn't care much for FR/LG, even though I still play with my copy of Red occasionally.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I don't necessarily think so. People still play the original games years after their first release, even when the remakes come out. Updated graphics are nice, but sometimes you just can't beat good old nostalgia. ;)

I still get wishes to play the original Silver and Ruby even when I own their remakes.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
I really think it just comes down to personal tastes, on that front. I don't like going to back to Gen I or II because of how clunky they feel by today's standards, and will almost exclusively stick to HGSS if I want a Kanto/Johto, fix. I'm flexible between RSE and ORAS. I do, however, think that I will probably not go back to DPPt if we get Gen IV remakes. The lag and the overabundance of necessary HM's are just... just too unbearable. Game Freak definitely has an opportunity to really one-up themselves in that department.

Xuxuba

IMO, not really.

I actually prefer playing Emerald over ORAS. It has a better postgame facility and a better exp share, which makes the game more fun to me.

I love HG/SS, but i also love Crystal because of it's charming graphics and sprites. Even though Crystal's graphics are 2d, i think Crystal's graphics are one of the best in the series.

On the other hand, i can't bring myself to play the original Red and Blue unless i'm really eager for some nostalgia.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I don't think it makes them obsolete, but it'd be nice if they could somehow update old games to have new pokemon with old sprites and old movesets :p
But i definitely find myself picking up the older games more often than SM.

Scammel

FR and HG were pretty much straight improvements, though there's definitely value to be had in retro charm and soundtracks - I wouldn't play the originals except for nostalgia value or 'academic' interest in the old mechanics.

RSE are still great games though, with enough TMs and variety in natural movesets that you aren't left grinding with non-stab moves (the absolute Achilles' heel of older games for me). The player moves at a good enough pace and the colour palette is wonderful. ORAS's graphical changes and updated battle mechanics are certainly welcome, but it also doesn't feel anywhere near as streamlined as RSE, making it a borderline wash in terms of improvements.

Manchee

extra toasty
To answer the thread title question: absolutely not.

Obviously, everyone is going to have their preferred games that they play when it comes to remakes. I remember loving HGSS when they first came out, but they got old really quick for me and not I'm so ecstatic to buy VC Crystal. And I have played so many runs of RSE, but only one of ORAS. It's not to say that I dislike any of these games outright, but because they are so vastly different in terms of graphics, available Pokémon, and game mechanics, there are things unique to every game that make them fun to play regardless of remake or not.

The same question can be applied to new generations (does the introduction of a new generation render the previous one(s) obsolete), and I think that the answer above still fits. Some people will prefer the fifth generation for the shaking spots, secret grottos, seasons, etc. over the sixth. The list of examples could go on, but I think the point is easy to understand. Once the main series games makes the transition to the Switch and any future consoles, older games could become unpopular or phased out, but there will always be people who prefer their certain games over others.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Given they stop selling old generation games at a certain point with the new generation, I wouldn't say the remakes that take two or more gens are making them obsolete. To get an idea of the breath of time, Gen IV remakes are a minimum of four generations from the original

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Depends on the remake. For me, FRLG was not so much of an improvement because not many new features were added outside of updated mechanics (and Sevii islands, but I didn't really like those). I still play Yellow just for the nostalgia value. HGSS, on the other hand, was an amazing remake, and, in my opinion, by far the best one, and yes, I have not touched my GSC since. ORAS, on the other hand, took out all my favorite features from Emerald (imo the best game in the series), and I played it once and promptly went back to good old gen 3. Honestly, it's the difficulty value that is why I don't like ORAS as much as Emerald (still better than RS).

DP remakes will fix my one huge pet peeve, the incredibly long saving time, and, hopefully, be more like HGSS than ORAS or FRLG and take a page out of the third versions, as well as add new areas and content. Because, honestly, the only reason I don't play Platinum anymore is because of that slowness. Literally nothing else has to be "improved" if you ask me. Heck, GF could rerelease the exact same game just with better graphics and I would love it. It's just perfect that way.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I thought fire red and leaf green could of done a lot better, the hoenn remakes, i didn't really play through so i don't have a full opinion, and the johto remakes were some of the best pokemon games i've ever played. :)

gentwoer

Depends on the remake. For me, FRLG was not so much of an improvement because not many new features were added outside of updated mechanics (and Sevii islands, but I didn't really like those).
I feel like FRLG missed a lot of opportunities. There was no real reason to make you wait until the post-game until you can breed gen 1 Pokemon to get their gen 2 baby forms or evolve gen 1 Pokemon into their available gen 2 forms. The fact that they add a post-game and you have to beat that before you get Mewtwo was super annoying. At least HG/SS lets you get it before you fight Red. The fact they didn't make Leaf into a second rival in the games or maybe a Lyra/Dawn esque ally npc was a HUGE missed opportunity. The games were basically gen 1 with the gen 3 engine and mechanics and none of the fun of glitches to exploit.

HGSS, on the other hand, was an amazing remake, and, in my opinion, by far the best one, and yes, I have not touched my GSC since. ORAS, on the other hand, took out all my favorite features from Emerald (imo the best game in the series), and I played it once and promptly went back to good old gen 3. Honestly, it's the difficulty value that is why I don't like ORAS as much as Emerald (still better than RS).

Playing ORAS following XY was a bit underwhelming to me but I still preferred over RS. Never played Emerald though so maybe that's where it is at for gen 3.

HGSS was the main one that I think completely replaced the originals. The fact that it sort of ties the mascot legendary into the narrative. Letting you catch Metwo, the legendary birds, one of the gen 3 legendary mascots and get a Kanto and Hoen starter plus letting you walk with your Pokemon and gym leader rematches just really made it one of the best games. It was also nice that elements of Crystal made its way into the remakes something FR/LG and ORAS failed to do with Yellow and Emerald.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
FR/LG? No. I don't feel like they added anything relevant, and I kinda missed the old ugly sprites.

HG/SS? Absolutely yes! Gen 2 games were mostly more of the same, but HG/SS are amazing, jam-packed with diversions, Gym Leader refights, all sorts of cool stuff. ...I do miss Chuck lifting up a bolder and throwing it, though. :p

OR/AS? Debatable. I felt it was more or less R/S without the game corner, but ALSO with all of gen 6s bells and whistles, an upgraded Secret Base system, and the Contests got a nice make over. ...Though better than Emerald? No.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not really in my opinion. Playing the remakes would bring back memories of playing the original game and because they are similar to their originals, in some way the originals aren't obsolete. It might even convince people to play the originals at some point in time.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
HGSS completely. Hard to play GSC nowadays IMO.

FRLG completely.

ORAS, lol no. No battle frontier mane. Plus no gym leader rematches ew.

Scammel

I think folks might be misremembering just how tedious Gen 1 could be - so many Pokémon lack anything resembling a reasonable STAB move that battling is often just dull. Gen 3 mechanics and movepools are a dramatic step up, to the point where I struggle to enjoy Gen 1 as anything other than a historical case study.

Morton Belgram

Nah. Red/Blue are extremely short games, I can speedrun through them on emulator in less than an hour. Nidoking FTW. They remind me of my childhood.

FireRed/LeafGreen are all around better games, but they don't carry the same nostalgic value to me.

Both are so short that I may beat one one day and another one another day.

Manchee

extra toasty
I'm surprised by the amount of people who find GSC mostly irrelevant after HGSS. I started with Crystal but I don't remember it well, and with HGSS being part of Gen IV, I find it really clunky to play and prefer the overall mechanics of GSC. Being able to interact with newer generations is nice with HGSS, as are some of the larger additions like the Safari Zone, but I still think the original games there are fun to play. Again, though, that's mainly because of the clunkiness of Gen IV.

Eryzol

LEGEND
Some remakes like HGSS are amazing and worth playing compare to others. Black 2 and white 2 was a great *sequel and it shows how black and white should have been like (rather than an extremely small 30 hours game). Other remakes try to improve the graphics and certain battles (elite four, champion and gym leaders)...

Last edited: