1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the SM series improved or worsen the anime? How will it impact the 8th gen anime series

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 28, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

So XY is undoubtedly the hallmark of the Pokemon anime series, improving greatly in storytelling, animation, action and the overall fast-pacing of the story. Sun & Moon is interesting in that it seems to have both it's ups and downs with the Pokemon fanbase. Sometime next year were going to get a Pokemon anime series based on Gen 8 and one of the things I thought was interesting is how the Best Wishes series was basically a bridge, an experimental step between the Diamond & Pearl series to the XY series. Many of you have noticed that the Sun & Moon anime series is also experimenting more in different forms of storytelling and animation.

With that being said, do you think the Sun & Moon series has improved or worsened since the XY series overall or just in specific areas that requires a more in-depth answer? Do you think that what you see as the strengths and weaknesses of the Sun & Moon series will be expanded, improved, fixed or even entirely removed by the 8th gen series?

2. KenzeyEevee

KenzeyEevee The Realistic male Eevee

What do you think?

3. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Tsundere Service

If that recent Famitsu interview from Pokémon is anything to go by, we could be in for another radical change for gen VIII. According to that interview, Gamefreak 'hopes to surprise players'. While that could simply be hollow words, I personally believe its indicating another big change to the series. And a big change in the games should mean another change for the anime.

As for the title question, I personally believe the anime has worsened with SM. In its effort to be 'different', it has stripped off so many things that made Pokémon, well... Pokémon. I'm never a fan of series that are a complete 180 from the previous series, like DP to BW and XY to SM, but this time, I hope gen VIII is a 180 from SM and retains as little of it as possible, and is another fresh series, but also feels like it has its Pokémon identity again.

keepitsimple likes this.
  4. shoz999

Were probably going to get another badass Pokemon anime season next year.

04n70n10 likes this.
  5. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Do we really need more threads like this? It's all variations of the same question, and all of them will just end up rehashes of the same points seen in the other threads already. People that like characters to behave like actual characters, seeing development based on personalities and character traits mostly prefer Alola and people that mostly want their characters to be supercool superstrong trainers like in the games prefer Kalos. We've already had hundreds if not thousands of posts on this, and it's all the same arguments over and over again.

6. shoz999

I think it's pretty interesting to discuss about what DNA from the Sun and Moon series will be carried over to the 8th gen series, similar to DP & BW to the XY series.

7. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have a point. There is a thread to discuss SM. https://forums.serebii.net/threads/...ime-is-moving-in.664633/page-24#post-18666047

Well, I think the anime has worsened. I had great expectations for the gen vii anime after XY, but they were crushed after 30 episodes.

8. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

There's nothing to discuss because we don't have a frigging clue. All you get out of it is people posting their own personal wishes as predictions, just like in this thread

9. shoz999

Nope. By analyzing patterns, we can make a good guess on what the next anime season can be. For example, the Sun & Moon series uses a new form of storytelling that could be carried over not for neccesarily what we want but because it's so much easier for the anime crew. Second, we could see the return of hi-quality action scenes from the XY series and a more proper storyline made up of story arcs, DNA from the XY and SM series, because they possibly have to, it's a must-have not for the fans but for their marketing of a start of a new Pokemon generation beginning on a new console, similar to XY for the 3DS and DP for the DS which underwent noticeable changes in the storytelling department and other areas of animation. Also we have to come to mind that Shigeru Ohmori may take over as Game Director, whose storytelling of the SM games greatly influenced the anime so the same could happen here. Also if were going even further, the game patterns of the 8th gen will likely go for a pair of games with no expansions/sequels but will come with remakes similar to 6th gen, allowing the anime crew to operate with more freedom rather than work with last-minute advertisements like the Best Wishes and Sun & Moon series.

To sum it up. I think were going to have another badass Pokemon anime season next year.

10. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Most often the anime goes in a pattern of a game changer series and then one that 'repeats and refines' to find more balance. Most likely next gen will moderate the new ideas of SM for a more consistent storyline.

Stuff like more diverse character-driven fillers, less use of bad guys as plot devices and a focus on interactions and chemistries between the cast is hardly a bad thing, it just needs a more developed direction and to be balanced with the usual gimmicks and dynamic storytelling of the anime.

Let's be fair, the 'classic' formula was getting REALLY stale and mechanical by the end of XY. Hell it was getting such by DP. People were absolutely positively sick of Team Rocket and COTD and trekking through generic forest backdrops for almost three quarters of each series, only tolerating them for the innovative main arcs each series (and even those often followed similar beats). While people didn't like a lot of BW's spruce ups I think they were necessary for a freshen up of the series because the exact same pace for five whole series would have killed things.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  11. Power Up

Power Up ...

We have like 3 different threads for this now lmao

All I can deduce is that Pokemon doesn't have consistency anymore.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  12. shoz999

SM is to 8th Gen as the Nintendo Wii U is to the Nintendo Switch. A necessary experiment to see what works, what needs refinement and what gets thrown out of the window.

13. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

To YOU.

SM is way better than XY imo. The characters are way less bland, and some comedy is finally brought back. The art style isnt my favorite.

14. shoz999

Nope, to everyone. It's a step in technological innovation and is a step to improving storytelling for the Pokemon anime series. This is not a subjective claim but rather an obvious fact.

15. PorcelainVulpix

No, once again, to YOU.

A lot of people found XY to be a downgrade in story telling because of the bland characters. Claiming your opinion to be a fact is quite ignorant OP, just because you feel strongly about your opinion does not make it a fact and stating it is a fact repetively does not actually make it a fact, just makes you sound kind of delusional.

Pokegirl Fan~ and Nodame like this.
  16. shoz999

But it's not an opinion. It really is a fact. The XY series boast a huge jump in animation prowess, better use of 3D technology and a more mainstream focus in storytelling. Although characters are subjective, there's no denying the streamlining of storytelling has been a huge improvement for the Pokemon series that's infamous for it's filler.

17. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Lol just because you don't like XY series doesn't mean everyone hates it, XY series is generally considered one of the better written series of pokemon even in many polls here in PAD it was in close top 2 just after DP. It had some of the best battles, better written arcs, best villain arc and pokegirl who had good character development and didn't became a background character for most of the series doing nothing.

SH65 and LilligantLewis like this.
  18. PorcelainVulpix

I guess we base story telling on different things, personally I think there’s no hope in a story with blander characters..

19. PorcelainVulpix

Do yall hear something? Some type of annoying sound?

Na, jokes aside my whole point of the post was just because OP doesnt like SM or thinks XY is the best series doesnt mean everyone else does. I added “IN MY OPINION” in the original post for a reason so your response to me is completely invalid.

Zhydra likes this.
  20. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

let's just say that EVERYONE has a different opinion as to which series was better. I liked XY better for it's storytelling and some of it's compelling characters, but I find SM's characters to have some of their traits way too exaggerated or inconsistent and generally really dull. the pokemon's personalities are more defined, so I hope if we get some oak episodes, then we can have the personalities of ash's shunned pokemon expanded more on

LilligantLewis likes this.