• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the SM series improved or worsen the anime? How will it impact the 8th gen anime series

keepitsimple

site of lies
Hell if I know. I stopped watching SM about a year ago because I didn't like it. Has it improved since?

Hoping gen 8 will be more like XY but with more entertaining characters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I guess we base story telling on different things, personally I think there’s no hope in a story with blander characters..
If your talking about specifically just storytelling, then I'm talking about it mostly from an objective point of view in how it changed for the better, stream-lining much of the story to a more centralized interconnected story that cuts down on filler which is a huge step forward regardless if you don't think XY is the best or not. In fact, I'd also say SM is a also a step-forward for storytelling, experimenting more story-arc based storytelling that could be refined for 8th gen to an extant similar to stuff like Dragon Ball Z, One Piece or even Pokemon Adventures.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Do yall hear something? Some type of annoying sound?

Na, jokes aside my whole point of the post was just because OP doesnt like SM or thinks XY is the best series doesnt mean everyone else does. I added “IN MY OPINION” in the original post for a reason so your response to me is completely invalid.

No I was responding to when you said 'your opinion' to him when he said he found XY series was a standard for storytelling which is right, it had best arcs probably after DP. Besides its not few people most consider XY to be among the best series with DP.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Lol just because you don't like XY series doesn't mean everyone hates it, XY series is generally considered one of the better written series of pokemon even in many polls here in PAD it was in close top 2 just after DP. It had some of the best battles, better written arcs, best villain arc and pokegirl who had good character development and didn't became a background character for most of the series doing nothing.
Tbh I don't get why you're trying to hard sell XY to someone who already doesn't like it lol, nobody said everyone hates XY

shoz999

Do yall hear something? Some type of annoying sound?

Na, jokes aside my whole point of the post was just because OP doesnt like SM or thinks XY is the best series doesnt mean everyone else does. I added “IN MY OPINION” in the original post for a reason so your response to me is completely invalid.
Wait, wait, wait. When did I say I didn't like SM?

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
No I was responding to when you said 'your opinion' to him when he said he found XY series was a standard for storytelling which is right, it had best arcs probably after DP. Besides its not few people most consider XY to be among the best series with DP.

I’m not even going to argue with a troll today or go on a rant about the differences between facts and opinions,etc...just have a nice day dude.

shoz999

I assumed you didn’t since you seem to view it as a downgrade, correct?
Wait a minute. When did I say it was a downgrade? Maybe in specific areas but overall? I don't recall saying that. Personally I think SM has loads of the best side-stories in the entire Pokemon series not seen on a level since the Indigo League, perhaps even better and is a feature I'd like to see make a return for side-story telling in the 8th gen series.

Jeal

No, once again, to YOU.

A lot of people found XY to be a downgrade in story telling because of the bland characters. Claiming your opinion to be a fact is quite ignorant OP, just because you feel strongly about your opinion does not make it a fact and stating it is a fact repetively does not actually make it a fact, just makes you sound kind of delusional.
Well, let's see. XY's storytelling is not the greatest(DP is better, I think), but it's certainly better than SM that pretty much does not have it with a bunch of fillers.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Tbh I don't get why you're trying to hard sell XY to someone who already doesn't like it lol, nobody said everyone hates XY

No one is hard selling anything, just saying XY series had some of the best storytelling of all and not agreeing with XY having bland characters i think OS (johto) and BW and somewhat SM had far more bland characters and boring plots.

I assumed you didn’t since you seem to view it as a downgrade, correct?

Well in many aspects it was a downgrade like battles, too much fillers, less focus on characters, it had some advantages over XY as well. You have a nice day as well.

Well, let's see. XY's storytelling is not the greatest(DP is better, I think), but it's certainly better than SM that pretty much does not have it with a bunch of fillers.

Not just SM, OS and BW had way too much fillers than character oriented episodes which pushed the companions aside and made them irrelevant.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I actually like SM and truly believe the storytelling is better in SM than XY..and people constantly trying to tell me my opinion is wrong are just wasting their breath. My opinion still stands. Glorifying one series over all others is pointless in this fandom because everyone has their preferences.

shoz999

I think you guys are confusing storytelling layout, planning and techniques in-effect with storytelling in-general. For example, I'm not talking about the overall story of Sun & Moon from Ash setting foot on the Alola region, challenging the Totem Trials and help Lillie face her mother etc. I'm talking specifically the mechanics behind the storytelling, the fact that the anime crew is experimenting more with story arcs.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think you guys are confusing storytelling layout, planning and techniques in-effect with storytelling in-general.

There is also one more aspect to storytelling like how much of an impact it can have on the viewers like in TF arc the way they attacked the city and abducted or in hunter j or the recent guzzlord two parter it was so serious that and the main characters were pushed to the brink that the viewers who watched it like it as well..

shoz999

There is also one more aspect to storytelling like how much of an impact it can have on the viewers like in TF arc the way they attacked the city and abducted or in hunter j or the recent guzzlord two parter it was so serious that and the main characters were pushed to the brink that the viewers who watched it like it as well..
That's the overall result of the planning which is what most of you guys are talking about and is a bit more subjective but there's also some truth in the popularity of the story and one should asks themselves why do you think that particular story is very popular or is overrated? It's also partly a reflection of how the planning was executed, for most XY is a success but SM is more experimental in how the story arc-based storytelling was executed.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I think XY and SM is character development vs character agency.

XY was focusing more on dynamic arcs and plot driven format, even if it sometimes led to characters who felt less effective to the story and more driven around by the formula, just having okay development throughout the ride.

SM is mostly stagnant in terms of characterisation, but likes to find unique roles and quirks and chemistries as things go along, giving the cast a sense of vibrancy and control over the story in spite of their largely static personalities.

There are times the two directions cross over or both fall flat but in terms of general storytelling and character handling both have a very different layout. I think who prefers what really depends on what you prefer in direction. XY takes one story and largely sticks to building on it, with everything else largely getting left behind, while SM is more unfocused and has a consistently experimental 'hey let's take such-and-such character and pit them with this character/put them in this scenario/have them do this mission and see how it plays out' type of approach. Basically one is for those who prefer a consistent ongoing plot and the other is for those who like seeing a variety of characters and scenarios.

shoz999

I think XY and SM is character development vs character agency.

XY was focusing more on dynamic arcs and plot driven format, even if it sometimes led to characters who felt less effective to the story and more driven around by the formula, just having okay development throughout the ride.

SM is mostly stagnant in terms of characterisation, but likes to find unique roles and quirks and chemistries as things go along, giving the cast a sense of vibrancy and control over the story in spite of their largely static personalities.

There are times the two directions cross over or both fall flat but in terms of storytelling and character handling both have a very different layout. I think who prefers what really depends on what you prefer in direction. XY takes one story and largely sticks to building on it, with everything else largely getting left behind, while SM is more unfocused and has a consistently experimental 'hey let's take such-and-such character and pit them with this character/put them in this scenario/have them do this mission and see how it plays out' type of approach. Basically one is for those who prefer a consistent ongoing plot and the other is for those who like seeing a variety of characters and scenarios.
So what your saying is... Pokemon Sun & Moon is the perfect Pokemon Ranger anime adaptation lol. How you described Pokemon Sun & Moon reminds me of the Pokemon Ranger games.

DatsRight

So what your saying is... Pokemon Sun & Moon is the perfect Pokemon Ranger anime adaptation lol. How you described Pokemon Sun & Moon reminds me of the Pokemon Ranger games.

Hard to say, never played the Ranger games.

Basically I think represents any media that thinks the base of what they're continuing on is running out of steam and needs to experiment with new dynamics and scenarios that could potentially be used and refined upon as things go along.

Remember how all the Golden Ages cartoons plotted out. Not much continuity, low on story, but the draw appeal was all the new characters and ideas, and tons of them would experiment with new characters and formulas and dynamics to see what they get future material out of (eg. one Porky Pig cartoon brought in a one shot called Daffy Duck, he was popular so they reused him, refined his character, and tried him in cartoons alongside other stars like Bugs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonzales, etc to see if they made a funny pairing).

I see that same experimentation sometimes in the SM series, bringing in new characters and dynamics and see if they work out. Some reemerge and even breakout (eg. Masked Royal and Incineroar who were introduced for Torracat's development and now get their own episodes) and some don't (eg. the Popplio vs Rowlet dynamic in an early episode that never appeared again, or Sophocles' Charjabug rivals). XY did a bit of this early on (eg. the Evil Malamar, Team Rocket regaining their sinister cred, Froakie's supposed crush on Fennekin) but quickly ditched it as the main plot begun.

Last edited:

shoz999

Hard to say, never played the Ranger games.

Basically I think represents any media that thinks the base of what they're continuing on is running out of steam and needs to experiment with new dynamics and scenarios that could potentially be used and refined upon as things go along.
It's a joke on the mission formula of Pokemon Rangers, especially 3/4ths of the story. Never played the third one though. The main missions feel more like side-stories investigating berserk Pokemon, similar to Ultra Guardians actually with Ultra Beasts. During those side-stories, it is generally you, the new kid, partnered up with lots of more experienced Pokemon Rangers who you meet beforehand having a lot of inconsistent adventures that leads to a lot of variety in characters and scenarios that may or may not slowly piece together to the actual main story which is usually delivered late in the game. Your unfocused description of the Sun and Moon anime reminds me of the unfocused storytelling of the Pokemon Ranger games.

DatsRight

It's a joke on the mission formula of Pokemon Rangers, especially 3/4ths of the story. Never played the third one though. The main missions feel more like side-stories investigating berserk Pokemon, similar to Ultra Guardians actually with Ultra Beasts. During those side-stories, it is generally you, the new kid, partnered up with lots of more experienced Pokemon Rangers who you meet beforehand having a lot of inconsistent adventures that leads to a lot of variety in characters and scenarios that may or may not slowly piece together to the actual main story which is usually delivered late in the game. Your unfocused description of the Sun and Moon anime reminds me of the unfocused storytelling of the Pokemon Ranger games.

Maybe, but I guess the difference here is that it's the actual developers, not the player/audience that is undecided about how things turn out.

shoz999

Maybe, but I guess the difference here is that it's the actual developers, not the player/audience that is undecided about how things turn out.
Although now that I mentioned it a Pokemon Ranger game dealing with Ultra Beasts in the 7th gen makes so much sense as a spin-off.