1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the SM series improved or worsen the anime? How will it impact the 8th gen anime series

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 28, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 It's a Brooklyn episode. So turn on the subtitles.

Interesting... you have confirmed a lot of stuff that was bothering me for a moment lol. Thanks for the information even though it's just one source. On a side note, are you aware how the Sun & Moon anime compares to that of Yokai Watch?

2. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I am surprised DP and BW had around similar numbers despite the clusterf**k that happened in that series.

Lets not forget both XY and SM has and future gens will be having tough competition with yokai watch. Still its a miracle that this series has kept its big fanbase even after more than two decades, other series like beyblade, digimon, bakugan have all declined while yugioh is well behind.

3. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

That chart splits up BW with BW2, the Plasma arc and Declora Island. The first year of BW had good ratings but it declined rapidly as it progressed. As said most people thought BW would continue off of DP at first but then when everyone realized it wasn't people lost interest or started to dislike it.

4. shoz999

How well does SM do against Yokai Watch? Might give us a guess what art-style and by extension comedy they'll go for next gen. From what I'm hearing I heard that SM is surprisingly faring well against Yokai Watch but that's just what I'm hearing. I don't know if you guys realize this but some people believe that Yokai Watch's strong start against the Pokemon anime during the XY years I believe is part of the reason for SM's change in art-style.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

Honestly, I don't feel like it has gotten any better, for me if anything it has gotten worse over time, but that's mostly because of the Aether and Ultra Beast arcs since they felt so mundane and inferior to the games in my personal opinion.

I do not know how this will affect gen 8, but if we're lucky it will be action oriented, to compensate for both the lack of battles in the Alola arc as well as the lack of seriousness in said arc.

To me even when the Alola arc tried to be serious it just came off as more silly, than serious. (with the only exceptions I can think of being Stoutland's death and the Guzzlord two parter)

shoz999 likes this.
  6. shoz999

You know. Just a hunch here... but I have the strange feeling that we won't be seeing the last of the Ash Greninja theme from the Guzzlord episode. Just a hunch it may return for a special occasion in Gen 8.

pokedigijedi likes this.
  7. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Double Accel!

I think SM's ratings are very slightly better than Yokai Watch. However, this is less to SM's credit, but rather due to the fact that the whole Yokai Watch fad has pummeled. Ultimately, both their viewerships are pretty poor.

shoz999 likes this.
  8. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Ash greninja theme had become cool as well as battle oriented theme of this series, thet heme totally represents the action oriented and serious nature of the scene so unless they come up with any new theme it could be used in future as well.

9. shoz999

I like to see the theme as something that goes against all odds which is something Greninja does a lot and is what Ash's Pikachu did to Guzzlord.

10. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

I think that we've gotten really off topic with the discussion about ratings and all so...yeah

Yeah I agree that Ash Greninja's theme is a pretty fitting theme for an intense battle against an opponent who seems like they can't be beaten at the current state that you seem to be at

11. JC317

JC317 Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to compare, since Pokemon SM and Yokai Watch Shadowside both regularly miss the top 10 these days, we don't get ratings for them until much later. I would give a source, but I don't want to get too deep into this discussion, since discussions about ratings are kind of taboo on this forum.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  12. shoz999

Why are ratings taboo? Do they cause toxicity or something? You make it sound like there's a curse or something. Is there a curse?

13. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Double Accel!

The moderators here are extremely strict about discussing ratings, since there's a lot of factors involving them, and ultimately, none of us here will ever know the true story regarding the ratings of various anime.

14. shoz999

I think I understand. I guess it's because there's not actually a legitimate trusted source for accurate ratings of the overall anime. Other than that, can't really see any harm talking about it. Whatever. Not a big deal anyway to fuss over.

15. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

No, certainly not a curse. Was just concerned that this thread could get ended early, even though maybe I was a bit TOO concerned...

16. JC317

JC317 Well-Known Member

Going back to the discussion on artstyle, if Yokai Watch really is the reason for the change to Pokemon SM artstyle, maybe you'll be glad to know that the newest season of Yokai Watch (Yokai Watch Shadowside) takes a darker and more mature approach to the franchise, with a much higher focus on the story driven drama and conflict, as opposed to the original series which followed a comedic, segmented approach (Quoted from Wikipedia).

Who knows, maybe the next Pokemon series will take cues from Yokai Watch Shadowside...

Ashton Ketchum likes this.
  17. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

The discussion was because you said ''DP had a lot more fillers than BW early on when the difference was little. My previous post was referring to you forgetting your original comment. We finished the discussion because no one would acknowledge being wrong. No point in discussing again.
    Every saga has a decline in ratings in the final year, so the next saga the ratings go up in the first year, and so the ratings decline again, even worse than the previous saga.

18. shoz999

I see. So it's a win-win for everyone lol.

19. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but after just seeing it exists, I'm confused as to what purpose it serves since we already have @Power Up's thread asking the 8th gen question and @Ariki's thread asking the SM question. We're just rehashing old stuff under a new name

20. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

What is this?

???

That wouldn't be a bad thing.