1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the SM series improved or worsen the anime? How will it impact the 8th gen anime series

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 28, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

That would be me and @Jeal duking it out in top ten anime battles.

Jeal likes this.
  2. p96822

p96822 Evolve me please

I think Sun and Moon kinda of worsen the series because they don't care about there other main cast

Twilight-Kun, NPT, Litleonid and 3 others like this.
  3. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

Sun and Moon didn't really improved the anime or made it worst. It just did it's own little thing and that's about it. It's not like Pokémon is a deep story with layered characters. In the end it is more of a commercial for the games and nothing else.

I personally do not think that someone can mess up a repeated formula like Pokémon. In the end all of the animes are more or less the same.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Zhydra and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  4. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

IMO the last few eps have been better than anything prior to the time change. I actually liked the Guzzlord eps and the Kanto ep. Now the thin here is that the Guzzlord eps were only Ash and the they hate to bring older people back for me to like the Kanto ep. Also liked Ash vs Nanu since he was alone too so it makes me feel for me at least the companions are the issue this series. Looking at the new ep after Brock and Olivia where it makes it sound like Ash is going to Poni alone makes me wonder why Lana even got Eevee if she is not really the focus in a chunk of the upcoming eps. Like she caught it but we do the Guzzlord two parter plus the Brock and Misty two parter only to have Ash focus. Should have just given it to Ash meaning he only needed only more capture. Now we have like 8 to 9 months and need to have two captures and not make it feel forced. Factoring the lack of battles this series has and it seems rushing it is the only option unless he brings back to older pokemon. Really the only way I can see SUMO keeping me into it is if Ash gets focus for the rest of the series with Hau and Gladion and the classmates take and back seat.

As for if it helped the overall anime I would say it hurt it since it really divided the fans. I mean I get why they felt they had to do a new style. Yokai Watch plus the new style of the games. The lack of gyms likely made them feel they had to try something new. However hopefully if Gen 8 does something new the writers can work a more retro way for the anime to work with it.

5. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I guess the issue with Lana getting Eevee is that, while she could use the change up, its one of those you wonder, like with the Z Ring, what effect it will actually have on the character.

Lana is an odd one. She seems like the most deliberately enigmatic character of the group, the one most satisfied with where they are and having a very mundane and simple dream that is only seldom discussed. Like Ash, she does like taking whatever odd opportunities come her way, but unlike Ash it doesn't really play into any long term agenda or take her out of her comfort zone.

I feel like Lana and Mallow don't have as distinctive bonds with their Pokemon as the other four do either. Ash and his team are kindred spirits, Kiawe's two Pokemon represent him going in and out of comfort zone, while Lillie and Sophocles' Pokemon are their emotional crutches. When new Pokemon were caught they usually added onto this dynamic in some way. With Eevee I'm still wondering what exactly they plan to do.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  6. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

It's not good; it's not bad; it's just nice.

7. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

the classmates are going to poni too, given it's a school research project (though if lana gets focus it'll most likely be popplio evolving, not eevee focus)

8. MidnightMelody

Ok was not sure since they did to Akala but did not go to Ula Ula

9. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I mean, if you don't mind watching characters with little to no development and consider silly faces as great comedy, then yeah, it's right up your alley.
    What is so interesting about characters like Sophocles, RotomDex and Kukui tho? Not saying i do not accept your opinion, but i'm genuinely curious, because at least half of these characters put me to sleep everytime they appear on camera.

10. DatsRight

I think those characters have a unique charm to them, even if I admit this is largely helped by SM's very different dynamic and sense of storytelling, which allows less 'action heavy' characters to gain more of an agency.

A lot of what makes Sophocles interesting for example is his disconnections from the classic formula, he is tied to a normal family home rather than travelling, we see how his Pokemon play into his everyday agendas and sort of act as a 'crutch' to him. Nearly all his episodes also play far and away from the standard formula as well, he seldom battles, even against jobbers like Team Rocket, the primary focus is nearly always on his personality or other niches like his intellect, which actually makes him more firmly a character than a 'hero' or a 'competitor' which nearly all the most spotlighted protagonists in previous series ended up falling into.

Kukui and Rotomdex are also unique in playing on this since they are the nearest Ash has to guardians, mentors.

11. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

DatsRight said it better than I could. Although I’m not really a huge fan of RotomDex, I just feel like the SM cast as a whole is more interesting than the XY cast as a whole. *Note this is my OPINION before anyone tries to attack me lol.

12. DatsRight

I assumed every comment on here was opinion since that's usually how a discussion thread works. Is it like we have to put "In my own opinion..." at the start of every sentence we make or we offend someone for forcing our beliefs down onto them?

13. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I’m making a habit of it lately since I’ve been getting trolled a lot. Apparently liking SM can bring a lot of arguments your way in this fandom

14. DatsRight

To compare I think Misty and Brock appearing in SM shows their wasted potential and how the old formula hasn't allowed them to branch out.

The episodes they're in tend to just to run the same shtick, episodic antics then a battle (usually against Team Rocket). Even the upcoming Brock one sounds like it could have easily been in DP, he does his usual running gag, does half a battle before TR interrupt and make it about them. There's still the apparent problem that they don't know how to make either of them run a whole story on their own with their own personality and agency, something Ash and even Team Rocket have graduated into being able to do. Hell one thing I love about them in this series is seeing the new situations they are in and trying to adapt accordingly, not just letting the usual setup deem where they go and how they do it. Even if they have the same sisyphean ambition as before, they're having to learn and do a whole lot different to get there. Yeah they're butt monkeys because of it not always going too well, but that only makes them more endearing for it, and for Ash at least, he can at least ultimately make things work.

Spider-Phoenix and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  15. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Kiawe and Lana are my favorite of the SM cast due to their personalities being unique and entertaining compared to past companions. I love Mallow's design of course, but character wise she's just ok since she doesn't get much focus. Lillie got off to a good start in the first year of SM but the Lusamine arc was very downplayed from the game incarnation, I wish they kept Lusamine more crazy or evil like the games. And after that I feel like they haven't done too much.

Then there's Sophocles who I forget exists most of the time, lol.

16. Litleonid

Litleonid Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with the Sun and Moon series is it takes out a lot of what made other series great. It takes out a lot of the adventure and action in favor of a more comedic slice of life approach. It doesn't give our overbloated cast of characters a solid concrete goal and if they do, they treat it as an after thought or it gets little focus. The progression feels very slow also.

The big thing I expected going in was Ash sticking around the school for a bit and training on Melemele Island before traveling off through the region to take on the Island Challenge. He'd go take on each Totem Pokemon before challenging the Kahuna of each island, and then go off to the league Kukui is building. What we got instead was long stretches of Ash and his classmates screwing around on Melemele Island and suddenly having Ash take on a Grand Trial without going through all trials. Maybe a game related plot arc here and there.

The series has its charms still though, and a beautiful art style, but I just really hope the next series goes back to the basics.

blizzardblaze and LilligantLewis like this.
  17. MidnightMelody

It seems that they have greatly reduced the focus of comedy since Guzzlord and going foward seems to focus more on battles. Brock vs Olivia and Ash vs Gladion. Now I could be wrong but if this is the road they take I would say SM has improved.

18. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Of course it did. SM broke a few parts of the status quo which allowed for the writers to make up interesting ideas and different plotlines while at the same time, the show still being Pokemon (minus a decrease amount of battles.) I always feel like with each saga, they always try to improve the anime. Some ideas work well while others backfired badly which is why some people would think some part of a saga worsened the anime.

19. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

SM has stepped up the animation when it comes to battles while brutally slaughtering the quality of day-to-day animation and storytelling

Maybe they'll learn

Maybe they won't

We'll just have to wait, see, and suffer

shoz999 likes this.