• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the writers regret bringing Brock into DP?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It honestly seemed like the writers thought Croagunk could rejuvenate Brock's character, but that just made people like Croagunk, not really Brock himself.

Over the entire span of DP, there's less than 10 Brock-centered episodes, even counting his participation in the tag battle tournament and the Galactic finale. The DP trio felt really stale as a group because of this. I think the writers feel as if they should have created a new male sidekick this gen, but instead held off the idea till the BW arc.

I always felt that Brock should have left when AG ended, as he did round up the Hoenn group well and still felt like he had a purpose back then.

Rex Kamex

I'd say no.

If they really thought it was a waste to bring Brock, they would've left him mid-Sinnoh or something and brought a temporary replacement. They've never done something like that before, but the writers aren't immune to breaking their own traditions. (Unless it's, like, evolving Pikachu or something.)

Even if it turns out they were unsatisfied with how Brock turned out, I don't think they regretted bringing him.

gliscor&yanmega

No. I don't think the writers regret anything. They are still making Pokemon so obviously they have done enough for People to keep watching. No reason to regret success.

bui

I think so for the reasons you stated. In fact because DP had the most stale group so far in the anime.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Nope, I dont think that the writers regretted bringing Brock into DP. I am sure they had some reason for bringing him into it and that they completed it even if us fans are oblivious to it.

BlueDragonfangirl

I gotta say yes, which is why they decided to replace him now, to redeem themselfs.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
The pokemon money train is still rolling, I doubt they regret anything.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
The writers could answer it better if you asked them, but I think they don\t regret whatever decisions they've made. The franchise is still going strong, so there's no reason to regret for anything.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The writers could answer it better if you asked them, but I think they don\t regret whatever decisions they've made. The franchise is still going strong, so there's no reason to regret for anything.

But Brock being here or not really would make no difference in terms of DP's success.

I just think they got lazy this generation so they kept Brock around for one more arc.

TrainerOfLegend

Back when they were writing the script for DP, they were having trouble deciding. Then, someone reminded them about Orange Islands and how a new male sidekick might be badly received. Another continued that Orange Islands was a filler season that only lasted a year, while that DP will last 4 years, thus making people who cannot bear the new sidekick to stop watching.

Now, 4 years later they noticed how the audience's opinion regarding Brock had shifted. Thus, Dento was born.

By the way, when are they going to reveal Brock's new goals, aspirations, etc.

Champion Jared 14

They may have, seeing how people don't respond to him as they once have...After Johto, the writers had opportunity after opportunity to send Brock away...His story indeed should've ended years ago...but like it's been said, they were afraid of how they'd suffer if they replaced him with another male...

Sparklingwater

The writers regret nothing. If they did, they can easily cut him early on. They can easily create a goodbye episode for Brock anywhere in the DP series. The story line can be something like:

- Brock meets an attractive pokemon breeder with a similar goal.
- Brock fall him love with her, like he did with ever other chicks out there.
- This time around, the girl actually finds him attractive.
- She also finds lots of commonalities in terms of their goals.
- They decided to travel together.
- Brock moves on.
- Ash finds another partner in the next episode.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
I'm not a writer, how the **** would I know?

Brock had potential to be a great character, but he never was put to the test.

Now quit *****ing over everything Cyber.

TrainerOfLegend

All the writers need to do is have Brock inform Ash that he wants to do _____ so he will have to leave. He will probably leave in the same episode as Dawn though.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I'm really surprised he's leaving. Someone like Brock that is so important for 13 years suddenly leaves. They need to give him a goal and to make it more interesting, than to make him leave. It's sad that they don't want to invest in important characters like him.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I'm really surprised he's leaving. Someone like Brock that is so important for 13 years suddenly leaves. They need to give him a goal and to make it more interesting, than to make him leave. It's sad that they don't want to invest in important characters like him.

He's not THAT important, he hasn't done anything of importance for years.

But I agree, they should have invested more into him and gave him more interesting things to do, it's been painful watching him do nothing for so long. If he comes back, I really hope he does something more than just cook, give advice, and comment on battles.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
He's not THAT important, he hasn't done anything of importance for years.

But I agree, they should have invested more into him and gave him more interesting things to do, it's been painful watching him do nothing for so long. If he comes back, I really hope he does something more than just cook, give advice, and comment on battles.

His mere presence here says he's doing something.
And he is important, but people don't notice the little things he does.
For example in the beginning of episode sometimes he takes out a map and leads them where to go. Who will cook now? I have no idea.