• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think the writers should stop the pattern of Ash rebooting his team?

interxavier

The Mist Vagrant
I'm getting sick and tired of Ash starting off fresh in every new region. Why can't they just have him leave half of his pokemon at Professor Oak's and simply take 3 with him? This whole thing ruins the continuity of the series as well as his development.

If I was them, I would've let it occur as Ash heading to Unova with:

Pikachu
Infernape
Sceptile

What do you think?

randomspot555

I'm getting sick and tired of Ash starting off fresh in every new region. Why can't they just have him leave half of his pokemon at Professor Oak's and simply take 3 with him? This whole thing ruins the continuity of the series as well as his development.

If I was them, I would've let it occur as Ash heading to Unova with:

Pikachu
Infernape
Sceptile

What do you think?

What's the point of even going to a new region if half of the team's slots are taken up by previous generations of Pokemon? Look at how poor of a region Johto was, partially because Ash took a good chunk of his Kanto and Orange teams to Johto, and they had to be plot-deviced out before Ash even used his Johto Pokemon in any notable way.

And the "reboot" of Ash is only for the first dozen or so episodes, and even during those times, he exhibits some moments of genius such as the use of Oshawott's scalesword to deflect elemental attacks. Most of the moments attributed to his "Rebooted" self can simply be explained by him being overtly excited about being in a brand new region where no old Pokemon can be encountered.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
To be honest when I play the games I use different strategics however when I first get the new games the first few days I fool around and lose battles since I'm like catching a load of the new pokemon and just exploring and forget to train. Also in the game you can't trade your old gen pokes to the new game until after the E4! Its the same for Ash.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
For what it's worth, I'm not too thrilled about Ash being aged back to 10 years old. In my mind, it wouldn't be a problem replacing Ash with a new character. He could be the guy that fights with his head at first but learns to listen to his heart. As for including a Pikachu, he and his pet Lillipup could have a shared dream about helping a Pikachu, which would then appear in the real world, and he could choose that Pikachu as his first Pokemon instead of the regular starters. Hell, they'd probably try to work it into the Team Plasma story somehow, with him and N being the only ones able to enter the dreams of Pokemon, which would somehow mark them as ideal/true heroes chosen by Zekrom and Reshiram.

I dunno, I kind of like it.

Trainer Orange

Pokémon Runner
Well, at the end of the day, you have to remember that the cartoons (dearly as we love them) are essentially commercials for the games. So when a new game comes out with new features and Pokémon, that's what is going to be featured in the cartoon, because that's what they're trying to sell you.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I like how his team restarts (save for Pikachu) because it's like he's starting a new game in the the games. Also I think it makes more sense because then he can catch more of the new generation's pokemon.

I think it has its ups and downs. Its neat that he can catch more Pokemon from that region and use them, but at the same time its sad that he pretty much abandons his previous Pokemon. It seems like he will never use them again except for a few moments. Its like tossing your friends aside, but this is just my opinion and how I look at it.

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
I like how his team restarts (save for Pikachu) because it's like he's starting a new game in the the games. Also I think it makes more sense because then he can catch more of the new generation's pokemon.
This is the point. It was fine in Johto because all Pokemon known are seen in that region anyway, but with later regions that was not the case.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
No. I actually like the fresh start.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I think this is the 2nd time they rebooted his team except for Pikachu so its not like they do this every time Ash goes to a new region. I think the writers should stop the pattern of replacing the main girl in the cast and bring back an older character or keep the current girl Iris instead.

Aegon

I like the brand new start, but I don't think Ash's character should be rebooted! He's not a rookie! It's so, so tiring to see him look like an idiot, while he should be catching Pokémon with ease and making friends! I want to see enjoyable adventures, not Ash struggling onwards!

However, I do think some of his Pokémon should return for a little while around the sixth/seventh Gym, just to remind us they're still there. I mean, Ash just leaves them at the lab, after spending so much time with them!

Zark

{5D's Elite Duelist}
If he keeps his older Pokemon in the team, he'll whoop every gym with just that Pokemon (Infernape).

The kids will be like ''WTF?''

So it's good his team gets restarted.

BlueVapor

Ash needs to catch new Pokemon and show them off to promote the new games. If Ash didn't drop off his Pokemon, we'd get what we had in Johto. Plus, if he kept his old Pokemon, he'd be way too overpowered.

I just wish that we would see more of his old Pokemon, which is why I feel as though we really need a filler arc, something similar to BF.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
He gets the same Water/Fire/Grass/Flying combo each region with mostly the same moves. Frankly him getting all three starters again for Best Wishes bores me but I understand why they did it and at least he's rotating a little. He gets new Pokemon to promote, I don't think the writers care about his old Pokemon in the long run. As long as it's marketable that's all that matters. The old Pokemon are almost in the same position as the old cast.

randomspot555

He gets the same Water/Fire/Grass/Flying combo each region with mostly the same moves. Frankly him getting all three starters again for Best Wishes bores me but I understand why they did it and at least he's rotating a little. He gets new Pokemon to promote, I don't think the writers care about his old Pokemon in the long run. As long as it's marketable that's all that matters. The old Pokemon are almost in the same position as the old cast.

Well they're trying to give the starters didn't moves so that they don't constantly use Razor Leaf/Water Gun/Ember or Flamethrower.

Tepig is big on Flame Charge and seems to have a pretty powerful Tackle. Oshawott loves using that scalesword for Shell Blade (even though it is borrowing Buizel's Aqua Jet), and Snivy is using Attract and hopefully will learn something else, because seriously, do we need another Leaf Storm/Leaf Blade spammer? The regional bird seems to favor Air Slash and Air Cutter over Aerial Ace

Salamandre

ash wouldn't even need to try if he kept his third evolutions with each region. Just Imagine how the first gym leader would feel using his unevolved pokemon. An pansage versus charizard yea......sceptile v.s pansaga and a infernape v.s pansear. They would jsut retire after something like that gym leaders need live pokemon to fight.

Porygon tamer

May Fanboy.
It's not annoying that he starts fresh all the time. It would make the anime boring fast if he brought three Pokemon with him when starting in a new region.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
I'm all for a fresh start with his team every generation. What I do want the writers to stop doing though is resetting Pikachu back to level 5 each time they do it.

Last edited: