• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think there could be anime-exclusive Totem Pokémon? (USUM Spoilers)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Do you think there could be anime-exclusive Totem Pokémon? (USUM Spoilers)

Before Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, the anime did somewhat do their own thing when they had Totem Raticate be in a separate location and be the guardian of the Darkium Z. With this, also means that the Kahuna's might not be the only ones with their specific crystals as Nanu gives out the Darkium Z.

If they do that with the replacement from USUM, we can have a few unique instances in the anime.

Anime Confirmed

Normal | Dark | Water | Grass | Fighting*

You'll see why I think they could have switched Kommo-o and why they didn't give Gladion a Crystal.

Remaining Game Totems

Bug* | Poison* | Fire | Electric | Steel | Ghost | Fairy

What I feel they could do is have Aquaranid as the Bugium Z Totem near Maile Garden. Maybe Salazzle can be switched to Poisonium Z and Marowak stays with the Firium Z.

Anime-Exclusive Totem Ideas

If they give Totem Pokémon to the remaining types, I think these could be possible...

Dragon | Flying | Ground | Ice | Psychic | Rock

Exeggcutor could be a Totem if they visit Exegcutor Island and in game they did say that used to be a trial site so it wouldn't be Farfetch'd. Imagine how giant it could be. It could be a neat way to give Kiawe the Dragoniun Z. The others could just be possible totems for other characters to get certain z-crystals without participating in the Island Challenge themselves similar to Team Rocket.

Evanibble

I'd be pretty interested to see how trials could be made out of some of these different types (ice and flying, for example), but I doubt they'll do it based on how little focus they've gotten relative to, say, gyms. So far they haven't placed the island trials as the primary focus of the show, so why would they add even more trials?

That could change, and I could be very wrong, and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed if I am. But I like this thought experiment.

andrewscott48209

ShadowDecidueye never said anything about it actually being a Totem, only that it filled the role of one.

Which in my opinion, it didn't. A Pokemon of the week causing havoc is no different than what the anime has been doing since the days of Kanto.

Sorry about that. I must have misread that.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I mean technically ya it could considering they seem to be abandoning the whole trial captain thing so Ash can fight some random ones or other classmates can fight them for development.

Although since they've gotten rid of the number of trails you have to do, who knows how they'll handle the rest of the trials.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Before Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, the anime did somewhat do their own thing when they had Totem Raticate be in a separate location and be the guardian of the Darkium Z. With this, also means that the Kahuna's might not be the only ones with their specific crystals as Nanu gives out the Darkium Z.

If they do that with the replacement from USUM, we can have a few unique instances in the anime.

Anime Confirmed

Normal | Dark | Water | Grass | Fighting*

You'll see why I think they could have switched Kommo-o and why they didn't give Gladion a Crystal.

Remaining Game Totems

Bug* | Poison* | Fire | Electric | Steel | Ghost | Fairy

What I feel they could do is have Aquaranid as the Bugium Z Totem near Maile Garden. Maybe Salazzle can be switched to Poisonium Z and Marowak stays with the Firium Z.

Anime-Exclusive Totem Ideas

If they give Totem Pokémon to the remaining types, I think these could be possible...

Dragon | Flying | Ground | Ice | Psychic | Rock

Exeggcutor could be a Totem if they visit Exegcutor Island and in game they did say that used to be a trial site so it wouldn't be Farfetch'd. Imagine how giant it could be. It could be a neat way to give Kiawe the Dragoniun Z. The others could just be possible totems for other characters to get certain z-crystals without participating in the Island Challenge themselves similar to Team Rocket.

I would love to see more totems. But i doubt we will see them. Though 1 or 2 anime exclusive totems could be expected.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I don't think so, and I certainly hope not. Especially if we never end up seeing the Fire Totems.
They can easily make Togedemaru how Ash obtains Steelium for example meanwhile Sophocles fights Vikavolt with his own for the Electrium Z.

And I'd hate if they ruined the Team Skull owning all the Bugnium plot point by having a Totem handing them out somewhere with Aquaranid.

WaterShuriken

I don't think so, and I certainly hope not. Especially if we never end up seeing the Fire Totems.
They can easily make Togedemaru how Ash obtains Steelium for example meanwhile Sophocles fights Vikavolt with his own for the Electrium Z.

And I'd hate if they ruined the Team Skull owning all the Bugnium plot point by having a Totem handing them out somewhere with Aquaranid.

That is what I was thinking about with Vikavolt and Togedemaru. Ash beats Togedemaru (w/ Litten) as part of his Trial in order to face the Grand Trial. Sophocles gets the Vikavolt and maybe Molayne or something gives him a Z-Ring.

I totally forgot about Guzma doing that in the games. However, they haven't even appeared, so I expect that many of those little plot points will be dropped. What would be interesting though is if Guzma tried challenging Totem Aquaranid with his Golisopod and failed. Ash comes and beats it (for his own *Insert Bug-type here*) and it starts a personal grudge against Ash.

nickdt

The only Totems i can see appearing for sure are Ribombee and Mudsdale.

If Ghost appears, then it obviously will not be a Mimikyu, so i give Ghost Oricorio a chance as a Totem.

Vikavolt might appear to fight Sophocles for Electrium Z, while i can see they integrate Molayne somehow (Ash saves him from Team Skull with Alolan Sandshrew and he gets Steelium Z as a reward).

And the only way i can see Totem Salazzle appearing, is during a fight with James and Mareanie for Poisinium Z.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I haven't played the games to see how the Totems are like but I mostly enjoy it when the anime switched things up and so far with their handling of the Totem Pokémon, it's been going very well. I can see an anime exclusive Totem, it's not like they haven't had anime exclusive content before. I'm down for it! :D

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The only Totems i can see appearing for sure are Ribombee and Mudsdale.

If Ghost appears, then it obviously will not be a Mimikyu, so i give Ghost Oricorio a chance as a Totem.

Vikavolt might appear to fight Sophocles for Electrium Z, while i can see they integrate Molayne somehow (Ash saves him from Team Skull with Alolan Sandshrew and he gets Steelium Z as a reward).

And the only way i can see Totem Salazzle appearing, is during a fight with James and Mareanie for Poisinium Z.

Why not Mimikyu?
It isn't like the TRio are allowed in the Trial episodes. It'd be our first time seeing a non-Pikachu hating Mimikyu too, which would be something nice to see Team Rocket interacting with if they did show up.

WaterShuriken

From what we saw with Ash and Solgaleo, Jessie/James will be able to use the Darkium Z with Bewear without capturing it once they get a Z-Ring. I could see James getting the Poisonium Z for Mareani and Jessie the Ghostium Z for Mimikyu.

So maybe they could save Salazzle for James and Mimikyu for Jessie.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer

Gladion didn't get the Z-Crystal most likely because it wasn't a proper Totem challenge and its actually rare for Totem Pokemon to give out Z-Crystal, even if they get defeated by a trainer during a proper challenge (if i remember right, this was mentioned by Hala during Ash's Totem Gumshoos challenge).

nickdt

Gladion didn't get the Z-Crystal most likely because it wasn't a proper Totem challenge and its actually rare for Totem Pokemon to give out Z-Crystal, even if they get defeated by a trainer during a proper challenge (if i remember right, this was mentioned by Hala during Ash's Totem Gumshoos challenge).

But thing is: Team Rocket vs Raticate also wasn't a proper battle, so Gladion should have gotten the Dragonium Z.

WaterShuriken

Is it really rare if Lana got one from Wishiwashi, Ash got one from Lurantis, and even TR got one from Raticate despite the crystal they saw being stuck in a rock?