• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think there should be voice acting in Pokémon games?

This question was already asked on another thread, wasn't it?

Nope.

Anyway, I don't want voice acting in the games. I would NOT like to hear some man say " Haxorus" to me when I battle, and so on. Also, what if the PC sounds like a freak of nature?!

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
that, in all honesty, sounds terrible. i love the pokemon 'cries.' and if the characters talked then i might play the games a lot less. reading the text is slow enough as it is, even at the fastest setting.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Nope.

Anyway, I don't want voice acting in the games. I would NOT like to hear some man say " Haxorus" to me when I battle, and so on. Also, what if the PC sounds like a freak of nature?!

exactly!! who wants to hear their pokemon come out of the ball and be like "Rotom!! Ro ro!" or "Dusclopsclops!!"??

Twentington

Outta here!
I'd say no, unless the voice actors were different from the TV show; we don't need the two intertwining.

gregjammer

Feather Trainer
Nope.

Well...

...sort of...

While this is still open...

Nintendo may be tempted to add VAs to the 3DS pokemon versions due to barely enough RAM to make it possible, if only for important cutscenes, but if added, it may be the beginning of the end for the silent protagonist and/or text boxes for the antagonists and possibly Gym Leaders and Elite Four, and it would be bad news for the fans if the Japanese VA crew members are better-sounding than the English VA crew members, like a good number of other shows and games(from any system, not just systems from Nintendo), as the fans of some dubbed shows and games don't like the English VAs as much as their raw version counterparts...

...but in the case of the pokemon games, VAs are not only unnecessary, but they will also destroy their beauty, maybe costing them the sales that pokemon games of the past enjoyed, so I say this to the idea of VAs in the games:

Since the voice system of the pokemon games works in text boxes and silent player, it ain't broke, so please don't fix it...

Last edited:

Alezicarus

Pokemon is (typically) a game with not a huge story or plot. So voice acting is unnecessary because I don't think pokemon would generate enough cut scenes to have voice acting in it

First, regarding the idea that it would because it would do away with the "strong, silent" main character: They could have all the voice actors in the world, but it wouldn't do away with that if they don't give the main character any lines to speak!

However, I don't think the game needs anything like this. It might not automatically be bad, but it just isn't necessary. The voice acting for Pikachu in Yellow was good, but there was a great reason for that.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
No , We don't need a repeat of Super Mario Sunshine again anytime for eternity. I mean that Pokemon would be like how the Zelda series would be like if they gave Sunshine treatment to it. Though something like how they did in Zelda series where they have little grunt sounds like with Beedle saying "Thank You" in Skyward Sword would be perfect if they ever make a main series game like XD was. Though I'd have a silent protagonist any ways especially in the main series games that are on handhelds like the 3DS. But basically , The series would survive anyway if we don't have voice acting in any main series games at all.

Origami_Zekrom

Where I shouldn't be
Yes and No. No because that way, you can imagine voices that might fit better than any voice actor for that character (no actor can really do N well). And yes, because a voice actor might make an character really pop out (like Alan Rickman makes Snape like no one else can) and Patrick Stewart can finally voice Arceus!

@TheFightingPikachu: Agreed. It's just not in the PC's personality to talk. And if the PC talks, it's all over. From what I've seen, games with talking PCs don't do as well as games with non-talking PCs.

:644:

Rakurai

No.

It's not necessary at all.

Earthia100

For Portable Games, no. Nobody plays Pokemon Games for the people. You play for the Pokemon. Besides, it just takes the imagination away.

Entreri10

I'd say no because 99% of it would be awful.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
The voice acting was great in Battle Revolution, since it was just the announcer guy. It got repetitive after a while, but some of the things he says are funny. I think that's the most voice acting we need.

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
I don't think so. It may save time, but it shuts out some creativity. When I hear voices, it makes me put that voice with that character for a LONG time. With words, I can hear in my head what I think the character sounds like. I prefer the words better.

Kim62

Hello
Why? Pokemon isn't a dialogue heavy game (least it's not suppose to be). Adding voice acting would be pretty pointless.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Yeah. Voice avting in the games seem pointless, as the player is only supposed to say "Yes" or "No"
It would also take forever to get through all the dialouge.