• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think there should be voice acting in Pokémon games?

idk

Ask me after i get done playing Kid Icarus: Uprising....
i think all the talking would get super annoying, but if they used the pokemon's manga voice it might be slightly less annoying...depends on the taste

Suffice

Defying the odds
No. It would ruin it for me personally, I like being able to relate to my character... And could you imagine having to listen too all the trainers? "Hey...! Battle me!"

Maybe if they increased the dialogue of ALL charectors and greatly increased story

Till then absolutely not

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
I really don't see what all the complaining is about, voice acting wouldn't have any effect on the gameplay.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I really don't see what all the complaining is about, voice acting wouldn't have any effect on the gameplay.

But that's just it, in my opinion it would. With the exception of Pokemon, and the two Star Ocean remakes, every single gaming franchise that I've been playing since I was a kid has largely failed when they started devoting resources to adding voice acting. I'm sick and tired of video games being more "video" than "game". I don't want that to happen to Pokemon too, and I have little to no reason to believe it wouldn't.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
But that's just it, in my opinion it would. With the exception of Pokemon, and the two Star Ocean remakes, every single gaming franchise that I've been playing since I was a kid has largely failed when they started devoting resources to adding voice acting. I'm sick and tired of video games being more "video" than "game". I don't want that to happen to Pokemon too, and I have little to no reason to believe it wouldn't.

...Sometimes I forget this fan base regularly cries about any change whatsoever. If anyone really is going to stop playing if this series introduces voice acting, I say good riddance.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
...Sometimes I forget this fan base regularly cries about any change whatsoever. If anyone really is going to stop playing if this series introduces voice acting, I say good riddance.

You know, you could have at least read what you quoted before just insulting me with a blanket statement.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
In my opinion, only on the more important characters (rival, villains, gym leaders, E4, champion... etc). If ever they do that, it better be good and not like the Anime. No voice acting on the Pokemon.

In my opinion, only on the more important characters (rival, villains, gym leaders, E4, champion... etc). If ever they do that, it better be good and not like the Anime. No voice acting on the Pokemon.

Maybe they could do the main charectors in cutscenes like fire embem?

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
No, voice acting would not go well with the pixelated characters, It would only be good in a more adultly graphical pokemon game like pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
I think it could work for major characters, lie the regional professor, gym leaders, team leader, etc., but still i dont think it should be put in. in rpgs without voices, i would imagine my own ideas of how the character would sound, including pokemon. not to mention though, that nintendo doesnt seem to be fans of voice acting since even now, their games often have little to no voice acting. i know there are a few exceptions, like Other M and mario sunshine, but for the most part, their games dont have voice acting, so i doubt pokemon will at any point. the huge number of sprites and NPCs alone would take up so much space that fitting voices in too would be impossible.

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
I saw a video on youtube produced by machinima from Zelda, where they did voice acting, and they had a hard time with it. It was funny, but it stressed the point that no voice acting would be good, i mean, what if your deaf?

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I saw a video on youtube produced by machinima from Zelda, where they did voice acting, and they had a hard time with it. It was funny, but it stressed the point that no voice acting would be good, i mean, what if your deaf?

There's this thing we call subtitles which come with pretty much all voiced games.

xDWarrior

I'd like to see some voice acting. Not for the main character, but for other important people in the games. It would add another dimension to the games.

Anon2

No. Voice acting gives more tangible depth to characters in the game, and as an RPG, Pokemon games require you to make links in your mind to characters and use your imagination when expanding their personalities, if that makes any sense. Text is just fine as it is. If you don't have an imagination, then you probably shouldn't be playing Pokemon.

Win.

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

The Red Thunder said:
I'm sick and tired of video games being more "video" than "game". I don't want that to happen to Pokemon too

You are absolutely correct.

Demonshead said:

You do realize gameplay is NOT the only thing that matters in a video game, right? In fact, look at Metoroid: Other M. The gameplay was great, but the story was so stupid that it felt like playing the game was a waste of time.

Likewise, if stupid voice acting was put in the Pokemon games, it would dampen the experience by a lot, even if the gameplay was TOP NOTCH.

Gameplay isn't the only thing in a game that matters; The ATMOSPHERE, which is made up by the art styles, music, characters, character designs, and the story is EQUALLY important as the gameplay, because that's what gives the games their feel.

Also, like Gelatino said, if there was voice acting, that would take away the point in using your imagination.

Last edited:

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Legend of Zelda tried it once.

And it was terrible.

Jman9100

Hardcore Gamer
Wha if you pre orderd a japanieze version of pokemon and the japanieze voice acting would be quite annoying but if in future pokemon becomes updated and in 3d then id say voice acting would be essential