• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Ursula should have been...

Status
Not open for further replies.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
...the main girl of D/P instead of Dawn. Why?

Forget about the game. The writers could have drawn inspiration from the game or they just wanted to promote D/P by including Dawn as the main girl cast. BUT...think about it. Ursula is just about better at everything than Dawn. I have thought about it and drawn some comparisons. Here they are:

- Ursula has a better personality than Dawn. Some might say she’s arrogant, but she’s rather confident than arrogant. On the other hand, Dawn lacks confidence. In most cases, before a contest she’s like “Oh I don’t know how I’m gonna do in this contest”. Ursula enters a contest to win it and she feels confident about it too. Bottom line, Ursula has the mentality of a winner.

- Dawn is too soft. At the beginning of D/P, she used to break down easily if she lost a contest. Or if her Pokemon mess up, she becomes upset. Ursula, on the other hand, although demonstrates a more serious nature, she does have a softer side for her Pokemon. She’s not like Paul who treats their Pokemon as if they are gears of war. So yeah, if Ursula loses she gets over it, learns from her mistakes, and moves on.

- We’ve seen in many occasions that Dawn rely on element of luck rather than perfecting a move/combo before a contest where she’s going to use it. For example, in Daybreak Town where Dawn won her 5th ribbon, she tried to use Flame Ice over and over even though she hadn’t perfected the combo beforehand. In the final battle against Ursula, her element of luck kicks in and Flame Ice works unexpectedly, which is a major reason why Ursula lost. In fact in the Grand Festival Ursula was so much better than Dawn, yet she lost because of Dawn’s undeniable ‘element of luck’. On the contrary, Ursula is more realistic, perfects her move/combo before the contest and also feels confident that it’s going to work.

So, I think Ursula should have been the main girl cast in D/P instead of Dawn, and Dawn should have been her rival or a random encounter. All in all, Ursula is more interesting to watch than Dawn.

I know most of you will oppose my idea, but I’d like to hear your opinions nonetheless. Without further delay...Discuss...

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Sounds like a basis for unnecessary criticism

The anime's aim is to promote the games. Dawn is the playable girl in the games and those are the characters the writers tend to want to use to showcase a new generation.

STICKTOPIA

I'm not even gonna read ur post. No I don't think she should have been the main DP girl. I'm goin with what deathseer said.

Silver_Seoul

While I do like Ursula much better than Dawn, I wouldn't like her being the main character or on the main cast. I'd just prefer she were introduced much earlier, ala Wallace Cup. Her combinations were -plenty- more amazing than Dawn's, and she was definitely stronger. She was completely right in that Dawn only beat her because of the time limit the first two times and the GF battle was... just one big disappointment. Cheap plot hole. Ursula deserved to beat her at least once and get some development.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Drew should have replaced May in Hoenn, he was clearly better then her the whole Hoenn series even after May beat him, he came back like three episode's later and beat her like it was nothing. Advance Generation doesn't need a female lead, it should have been Drew because he's better then May.

Paul should have replaced Ash this region because he's better! Other then attitude toward's Pokemon Paul is like thousand time's better then Ash. He rotates his Pokemon so they get trained by him personally rather then relying on old air masters, A lab, fire fighting squads, and valley's full of overgrown Charizard's to train his Pokemon for him. Paul also knows how to use the best of Pokemon abilities, attacks, types, and is not afraid to switch out if needed. Paul is better then Ash so he should be the new star of Pokemon.

See Platinum Fan can play the bias game too.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Paul should have replaced Ash this region because he's better! Other then attitude toward's Pokemon Paul is like thousand time's better then Ash. He rotates his Pokemon so they get trained by him personally rather then relying on old air masters, A lab, fire fighting squads, and valley's full of overgrown Charizard's to train his Pokemon for him. Paul also knows how to use the best of Pokemon abilities, attacks, types, and is not afraid to switch out if needed. Paul is better then Ash so he should be the new star of Pokemon.

^This could work, minus Paul's attitude

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I wasn't being serious. While it's true I like Paul more then Sinnoh Ash (not Ash in general) I wasn't being serious in that little rant. Dawn might not have been the coordinator you liked but think about this, if Ursula was on the main cast, her personality and situations would more then likely switch with Dawn's and then you would be complaining about Ursula pulling out luck wins and Dawn would be the nasty rival and you would want her. The writer's aren't going to give a main character a Paul/Ursula/Harley/Drew personalty and expect them to keep it there entire run, even Paul has gotten less mean.

Also you should know that Ursula's sole existence on the show was to be a nasty rival to Dawn, nothing more. Without Dawn there is no Ursula, same with all the other rivals connected to there main character. Ursula probably won't be seen ever again.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
The If You Were in Charge of the Anime is what you were looking for, especially since it's far less likely to spawn character bashing(although parts of your post are bordering on it already) and bitter arguments about which characters people do/don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.