• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you use guidebooks?

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
Nope. That's what Serebii is for.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
the only guide book i had was for platinum but then i met serebii and bulbapedia

Ausgirl

Yes but to be honest they're not really worth it. There's a lot more information available on the internet.

manniezmoll

I'm a girl, dangit!
i mainly get them for the pokedex. i'm not always able to get to my computer for serebii & bulbapedia...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Mainly I get them for the maps. If I need a Pokedex, I have veekun's Favorited on my computer.

I've gotten the more recent ones after beating the game... like the pictures. And it's nice to have movepools for when I'm not online. Just wish B/W would get a Nationaldex guide, both strategy guides only cover the Unovadex.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
Almost never. I used to when I was younger and now if I do it's really just for fun. All of that info I can find for FREE on sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia. Those books are like twenty dollars...ridiculously overpriced :/

Shadow XD001

I used to, but then I found about sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia. I think they're better than the guidebooks because we can get the info on those sites fro free. :D Besides, they usually release a second guidebook that has National Dex, but why not fit it all in one guide, like Platinum? I know the book was huge, but it was worth it in the long run if you wanted the guide with National Dex and stuff.

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
I used guidebooks for Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen a long time ago, but that was only after I beat the game by myself a couple times. My mom bought it for me at a yard sale =p I pretty much used it for a couple extra playthroughs to get everything.

I later traded the guidebook for the guidebook to Pokemon Emerald. This also was after I beat the game. I just used it to get all the items.

Now, I've been playing Pokemon since the days of Red and Blue, so it should be pretty obvious that I've never really needed a guide, but I couldn't resist buying the Pokemon Black & White Collector's Edition Strategy Guide. I did use it on my first playthrough, however, it really didn't take much from the experience.

I know the guidebook cost just as much as the game itself did, but it's nice to have =]

Meowth City

Staff member
I actually have the official guidebook for Diamond/Pearl [the one with the Pokedex and Post-Story game] cuz I got it really cheap at a GAME store. I find it very useful when I'm not in a position to go on the internet and look things up. I still look at it for basic movesets and breeding purposes.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I have guidebooks for RS, DP, Platinum, and HGSS. I don't use them for help with the story since I've always gotten them long after finishing the games. Honestly, I mainly buy them for the artwork of the human characters in the game. I just really like staring at the art...

I also use the Platinum and HGSS guides for the Pokedex data, 'cause going online to look it up can be such a drag sometimes.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
It's all online. We have google for a reason. But if I'm in a bookstore I'll stop and take a look. I's competitive guide is somewhat interesting.

Tom the Warrior

I've owned practically all the guides for the main games and then all of them for the Mystery Dungeon spin-offs. Even if I don't use them often, I enjoy flipping through to look at the artwork.

Axel

Orange Champion
I usually use websites, not guide books.

Even then, I usually only use websites to track down hard-to-find Pokemon/version exclusives, and to see what the Gym Leader's team's levels are.

For example, "Oh, this gym leader has level 35s, so I should have at least 30s on my team." I have a tendency to get extremely under-leveled during the games, so checking their levels is a way of making sure I'm leveling my team how I should.