• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You use HM slaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kari~

When I'm going through the story, yes. Post story, no. I have Surf and Waterfall on my water Pokemon, and Fly on whatever can use it.

ToeyJoey

The Count
It is quite annoying to have to have two water moves on the same Pokémon, one physical, one special too.

eberger97

#swaggmaster
I am the opposite, I usually create them after the main story. This way I am always training my actual team while the story progresses.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
I do for about 1/2 the story, and then end up training them till they are awesome

I don't. It wastes a party slot. If one of my team members can learn an HM, I teach it. The only exception is if it already knows another HM, plus none of my other members can use it. Then I catch a slave, but just for that one HM and I only withdraw it when I need it. I do this mostly for Cut and Rock Smash actually

Razor Xtreme

That Onix you receive for Bellsprout in the beginning of SS (Violet City, name is Rocky, I believe) works wonders as an HM slave. Strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb. Surf is given as an attack move to my water type, Waterfall given to my Red Gyarados, Flash and Cut to Bellsprout, and Whirlpool to some useless generic water type I can catch.

pokemoncasper

blazingaurora
Surf isn't much of a problem for me, as I specialize in special moves (I hate the physical move affecting abilities, flame body, poison point, aftermath e.t.c.) and I like water starters, swampert being my favourite. I use Radicate and Bibarel, as they accomodate all the Hm's

ga'hoolefan

Feathered Dino Lover
That Onix you receive for Bellsprout in the beginning of SS (Violet City, name is Rocky, I believe) works wonders as an HM slave. Strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb. Surf is given as an attack move to my water type, Waterfall given to my Red Gyarados, Flash and Cut to Bellsprout, and Whirlpool to some useless generic water type I can catch.

I can confirm his name is Rocky. He's currently a Steelix in my party on SS. I may use HM slaves if I get another game, but it's unlikely.

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
Sometimes, if I have a Bidoof handy.

Missingno
I once used peliper for waterfall, surf and fly. I have seen empoleon used for rock climb, surf, waterfall and rock smash (or something like that.) I have used a golem for rock climb, rock smash and dig. (Yes, I know that dig isn't an hm.) Linoone is also a great HM slave, and it has pickup.

Nowadays, all of my pokemon battle and have one or two HM's

willsgb

WEE HUGHIE SAYS ****
I once used peliper for waterfall, surf and fly. I have seen empoleon used for rock climb, surf, waterfall and rock smash (or something like that.) I have used a golem for rock climb, rock smash and dig. (Yes, I know that dig isn't an hm.) Linoone is also a great HM slave, and it has pickup.

Nowadays, all of my pokemon battle and have one or two HM's

i have a few questions about that ability, pickup - if you have 2 or more pokemon with that ability, do they all have a chance to pick up an item? and will pickup find items after any battle that generates EXP - so, including battles with cynthia, cheren, morimoto, trainers in the battle court and stadium in nimbasa, and even the elite 4 etc. as well as in the wild?

and agreed on linoone, he's not very useful competitively but he's a cool little pokemon nonetheless, and with pickup and the ability to learn a bunch of HMs too, he makes a great in-game pokemon to have with you;

anyway, i wanted to add a discovery i made, which isn't entirely about HMs, but it involves a pokemon that can carry a bunch of useful in-game moves, one of which used to be a HM, so it kind of counts - breloom! first the ex-HM; he can learn flash, which is virtually a HM in white and black, or perhaps should be, since i can recall at LEAST 2 caves which need flash; ok, you could probably find your way without flash, but that sentence requires the addendum 'eventually'. secondly, additionally, it can also be an excellent catcher; it learns spore, and can also learn false swipe!

ebevan91

My HM slave is usually the first pokemon I capture, such as Zigzagoon or Bidoof.

Once I reach the E4, they go away for good, unless I'm capturing legendaries.

I do teach surf to my water Pokemon and Fly to my flying Pokemon.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Yes. I mainly use my Lickilicky for Rock Smash, Strength, and Rock Climb. He's my right-hand HM slave

In my first Playthrough, I didn't use a HM Slave. All my 'mons had an HM. Rock Smash in Infernape, Rock Climb in Giratina (!), Surf and Waterfall in Floatzel, Fly in Staraptor, Cut in Roserade and Strenght in Luxray.

I don't know if the HM were in these 'mons exactly, but it's close to this.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I use a Bibarel as a HM slave in Diamond and Pearl, and probably will in Platinum, too.

In Diamond, it knows...
Cut
Surf
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

In Pearl, it knows
Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

Status
Not open for further replies.