• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You use HM slaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
I generally spread my HMs evenly between my in-game teams, and get rid of the ones I don't think I'll need (like Flash, Defog, Whirlpool, Dive, etc.) I may keep a weak pokemon to use a certain HM move or moves in the mean time until I get a pokemon for that attack (like I have a marill on emerald right now to use surf until I can get a spheal), but other than that, no. Though I think they'd be admittedly useful, I refrain from using them because I like having a 6 pokemon team, not a 5 pokemon and one lame-HMs-only pokemon team.

AmpharosFanatic

Yes, I try to keep Fly and Surf on pokemon I care about raising...all other necessary HMs to get through the game with are pretty terrible in battle and so I give them to an HM slave. I find only raising 5 pokemon, as long as they are of good types, is perfectly fine to complete the main quest with. Normally I replace the HM slave after that though...

Kaz~

Banned
No, I gave stuff like Surf and Fly to pokés on my team, but apart from that I didn't keep a certain poké just to be a HM slave.

JohnGazmon

Ursaring with Strength, Cut, Rock Smash and Rock Climb.

Poliwhirl with Surf, Strength, Whirlpool and Waterfall

Surf and Fly are useful enough for regular team members, so I always have a flier (Dragonite) and a Surfer (Lapras) on my team.

Ditto123

~Word~
I always use one pokemon as an HM slave unless it can't learn it

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Guilty, yes i do.

I like to call them HM Bitches, but no I do not because I just teach my party members. No big deal, I usually have slots that i don't need for my Pokemon.

2000th post!

CasteliaUmbreon

Castelia's Finest
I spread my HM's around to my Pokemon, it seems to work easier for me than having a Pokemon who almost does the whole thing themselves, cause usually those Pokemon are the ones I don't want in my party~

Ketaru

Pinsir is my friend in caves. Don't remember off the top of my head, but it has Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb, and Cut.

One of my biggest pet peeves in the Pokemon series is the need for HNM moves. To reach some key points in the game (like, I don't know, fighting Red), you need to teach your Pokemon moves that are inferior or otherwhys carry a Pokemon around that wastes one of your precious 6 spaces.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
My Steelix is a great slave. He knows strength, rock smash, rock climb, and some other HM. The weird part is that his happiness level towards me is maximum! XD

Ketaru

My Steelix is a great slave. He knows strength, rock smash, rock climb, and some other HM. The weird part is that his happiness level towards me is maximum! XD

He's one of those "those" types of slaves.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Kind of. I have Pokémon that exist only for using HMs, but I keep them in the PC unless I need the HMs for something. The exception is my Flying Staravia. I keep that in my team all the time.

I don't remember what all my HM slaves are, but I know I have a Mantine for Surf and Waterfall and a Rampardos for Strength and Rock Climb.

-Flaming Charizard-

And the cat goes moo
I have one for like cut, rock smash, waterfall, and maybe strength....
but ones like surf and fly I use in my party.

EDIT: 100 posts! woo!

willsgb

WEE HUGHIE SAYS ****
i've always hated HMs, since most of them aren't useful or necessary in the field after a couple of occasions, but all, up until white at least, are necessary at least once, and the pokemans who can learn loads of them are usually bland ones, like bibarel in diamond...

i'm fond of what they did in black and white though, reducing them to 6 - and i've gotten all my gym badges and am training for the elite 4 now, and i've only been given 4 of them so far, and only needed 3 to progress the game as well! and what's more, you can load them all onto just 2 pokemans, if you pick the right ones...

oshawott and dewott learn 4 and the final evolution samurott can learn 5 of the 6, which is awesome, and ducklett and its evolution swanna can learn 3, including the only one samurott can't learn, fly, and both samurott and swanna are cool and likeable, so for me there is finally no issue with HMs forcing your travelling party to be full of pokes you aren't that keen on, happy dayz

in diamond, i'm using bibarel for waterfall, strength and rock climb, drifblim for fly, defog and cut (? how does it cut? weird and wonderful) and the awesome azumarill has rock smash and surf.

in gold, they were spread out, my furret, the only poke i've ever gotten to level 100, had cut, as far as i remember, meganium had flash, the red gyarados had surf, whirlpool and waterfall, and pidgeotto had fly, i think onyx had strength and rock smash or rock climb, it's been a while.

annoying stuff, but they're going in the right direction with these moves i think

edit - forgot to add that some of the HMs are actually really good moves anyway; surf hits everyone but it's so powerful and cool to watch, and fly takes 2 turns but you're out of range to almost any attack on the first one and it's also really powerful; strength isn't too bad either; only cut is a bit flaccid a move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.