• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You use HM slaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuhAsianGuy

First Day On the Job
No, i dont use any HM slaves. Maybe once or so but i don't remember. If I need to use an HM I give it to one individual pokemon in my party.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
I use them when I don't have a 6th member. It just makes training Pokemon easier and not worrying about using field moves on members that are part of your main team. I find HM Slaves very useful.

I am the same too. Apart from perhaps Waterfall and Surf, the other HMs aren't of much use to waste a move on a Pokemon.

I personally just CANNOT play through a game without using HM slaves. Having to use moves like Cut and Rock Smash were just so frustrating to me. Having a Slave like Bibarel was also useful in gym or E4 battles, as you could switch out and revive members of your party.

So, yes.

Titanium Tyranitar

For pokemon platinum I used a Bibarel I trained from a bidoof for most of my hms and a golbat for flying and a dustox for defoging and in soulsilver I used my pidgeot for flying and a furret that I raised from sentret for my other hms

Naito

Well, what I don't have any problem with are Fly and Surf, becase those are at least decent attacks. On the other hand I hate when I have to teach Rock Smash or Cut to some of my pokemon. Rock Smash is simply awful and Cut...meh. Another pain was when I had to use 3 water HMs in platinum and my Poliwhirl already had attacks I didn't want to spare. So I had to give Whirpool to Nidoqueen -_-

Of course I do. Fly and Surf get actual Pokémon, of course, but I'll usually dedicate a Pokémon to HM slavery, and stick it in my team; it's a pain in the neck to travel all the way back to the last town every time you find a tree that's impeding your progress. Of course, this means that I usually don't find a real sixth member until Victory Road or so, but who cares? All the good Pokémon are in Victory Road anyway.

Nyoah

The Dark Azure
never really used an HM slave
my team consist of 6 pokemons, each with a HM or 2
fly surf and strength are really good moves so i keep them

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
It's pretty hard to get a team with strong pokemon of various types mixed with the right moves, all HMs, Flash, False Swipe, Dig, Thief plus the abilities Pick Up and Frisk (Yeah, it's a team specially made for searching out anything without having to swap for moves). Some of the HMs aren't that bad once you get your pokemon's levels into the 40s. What I hate about them thought, is that most are Normal type moves. If Rock Climb could be changed to a Rock type move, or Strenght to a Fighting type, that would certainly make things easier.
But, no. I don't use HM slaves.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Whether or not I use Hidden Machine Slaves depend on some certain conditions. I didn't when I was a beginner because my teams were mainly made up of absolute favorites, which usually entailed a lot of grinding, (oh Deliberd & Sunflora. You will be missed.) However, I now tend to try and get a well balanced team, and my overplannng skills take in there. I don't like to use them because it takes away the ability to have a sixth, and sometimes even fifth monster. I do in post game for Dex Completion, but mid-game:
  • If I have an extra slot, I will almost always keep a Bidoof or Rattata handy in-case of a surprise item.
  • If I don't have an extra slot, but I've already beat the trainers and caught the available monsters in the area, I may do a sweep for items shortcuts/houses etc.
  • After beating the 8th Gym Leader and thoroughly conquering Victory Road, I'll usually fly back Twinleaf/New Bark and sweep the entire game for rare candies/Technical Machines/Sidequests. I'll usually only bring monsters I want to train, and have all the available Hidden machines attached to monsters that can have them.

I always, however, have either Surf (if my Water typed-monster is a special attacker) or Waterfall (if my Water-typed monster is a physical attacker) handy as usable moves, as 95 base power (for Surf) and 80 base (for Waterfall) is nothing to scoff at. I'll also usually have Fly in my party as soon as I get it, just because I travel to Goldenrod/Veilstone frequently for the malls and gambling. Also, in DPPt, I take note of where I plant my berries and honey, and fly there frequently. And, if I so happen to use a Normal-typed monster on my team, I'll carry Strength (and eventually Rock Climb to replace it.)

In the Post-Game, though, I not only use Hidden Machine Slaves for Dex Completion but also Exploration. (Which could be the same thing, depending on how you look at it.)

Last edited:

Tyrantrum

I did always have at least one-two pokemon that were honestly HM-Slaves. That is, they knew all the techniques and were just there when I walked around trying to catch pokemon or level. I normally used a Bibarel for an HM slave in the fourth generation.

I do have some. Like a Linoone a Tentacool and most of the time a Graveller.

Status
Not open for further replies.