• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you use legendary pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was like 10-12, I loved smashing the League with Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres :)

But nowadays, I just catch them, but what I think is funny is in Heartgold/Soulsilver where you walk with the 1st Pokémon in your party and then walk along with Ho-oh, Lugia, Kyogre, etc, but unfortunately no one seems to notice :(

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
Yeah, I used Kyogre in Sapphire, but I was around 7 at the time. As I grew up, I just thought of using them would be pretty boring and unchallenging.

Of course, there's the battle tower... in which I'll use certain legendary pokemon that are actually allowed (I've always wanted a 4-5 star trainer card) such as the Eon duo, but other than that, I just leave them in the PC.

DjangoCribbs

Generally, yes. But I don't over-do it.
I always use Lugia on SS but Lugia has been one of my favourite Pokemon since the original game's release. Ties with Mewtwo/Mew as my favourite Legendary. I'm generally fond of all the legendaries with the exception of recent games... Wasn't really a fan of the legendaries introduced in D/P/Pt. And the B/W series don't look particularly appealing either. The X/Y Legendaries, however... I might have genuine difficulty picking this time...

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I don't really mind using Legendaries. I mainly use them after beating the game, and even though I like having a team of normal pokemon, there are some legendaries that I love to use in my team, such as Deoxys, Latias, Darkrai, etc.

SprSncConzor

I have Mewtwo and Arceus in my team. Mewtwo because he's friggen' awesome and Arceus because sometimes I need a Plan B to fall back on. I mainly switch out Arceus when I'm training other Pokemon or hatching eggs.

You can see my team in my signature. To be honest, I use Swampert and Charizard more than the legendaries, and I think I even taught Aceus an HM (God Forbid) so I can access anywhere in the overworld at any time.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I never saw any reason not to use legendaries... they functioned in my team just as well as any other Pokemon.

Hidden Power

I've decided to follow the footsteps of Ash Ketchum and left every legendary Pokemon I came across alone in its natural habitat.

DjangoCribbs

You sick puppy.
All those Legendaries you've left wondering what's wrong with them...

Summonight

Who Homestuck here?
I'm not sure if Mythical Pokemon are considered Legendary as well. (In Japan, they officially separate Legendary and Mythical Pokemon.) Anyways, I tend to not use the cover Legendary Pokemon. Not because of OP or anything; I just find it weird to use it. I always feel like I should store the cover Legendary because it is special and all...I mean, I went through the whole game just to get it, right?

As for Mythical Pokemon (Celebi, Mew, Victini, Shaymin, Deoxys, Mewtwo, Jirachi, Latis etc.), I use them sometimes, but only one at a time. In Platinum, I made a run using my favourite Pokemon: Shaymin Sky Forme. I do admit, it was a very good Pokemon, but like Gengar, the frailest thing ever, which I was ecstatic about because it made the playthrough extremely fair.
In White 2, I traded over my event Keldeo from Black, and used it in my team. What a great Pokemon. Seriously. It's Resolution form looks awesome; Keldeo ended up being another favourite Pokemon.

I'm fine with using Legendary and Mythical Pokemon on playthroughs, but only one at a time.

DjangoCribbs

Not because of OP or anything; I just find it weird to use it. I always feel like I should store the cover Legendary because it is special and all...I mean, I went through the whole game just to get it, right?

Not telling you how to play the game, it's your choice, but your logic makes no sense to me.
It's digital information, it doesn't damage with use. You aren't keeping it in "pristine" condition. What you're basically saying is you go through the whole game to get it... and then you do nothing with it. Just store it. Seems wasteful.

Summonight

Who Homestuck here?
Not telling you how to play the game, it's your choice, but your logic makes no sense to me.
It's digital information, it doesn't damage with use. You aren't keeping it in "pristine" condition. What you're basically saying is you go through the whole game to get it... and then you do nothing with it. Just store it. Seems wasteful.

Yes, and the point usually is, regardless of nature, I don't like to ruin the EVs (even though I can use EV-reducing berries). It's this pest feeling I have that even by letting the cover legendary participate in any battles, I'd taint it in some way. More of just OCD, if you will. By that 'pristine' condition part; Keeping it in the box does indeed keep it in 'pristine' condition through said method. Through any use of EV-reducing berries, it would do fine, but I have no means of actually getting those berries.

It just feels nice to keep the Legendary in its box, like a nice trophy that people can see, is what I'm saying.

RasenShuriken6

I catch them and some point after I release them for different reasons because I know that's what Ash would do if it came to it.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
In every one of my teams, I have used the version mascot (except in B2, as Kyurem wasn't catchable until post-game). I have used Lugia in SoulSilver (and Ho-Oh for defeating Red), Giratina in Platinum, and Zekrom in White (I believe). I used the Lvl 100 Zekrom they gave away that one time (Reshiram for White) for the Elite Four (which made them stupid easy)...

TheShinyWriter

Poké-Journalist
Eh, the legendaries I catch collect dust in my PC boxes... I don't bother with them, because I can't part with some of my beloved team. Though, I have used Giratina a few times, transferred from D/P. Being honest, I never do find a use for them. :p
I like to think that PC boxes are wide open fields/caves/etc., and that the legendaries are frolicking in them.... Yeah. My logic doesn't make sense.

orochi

Lets see. In XD Gale of Darkness I used lugia to extend the battle so I can catch all of Grevils shadow pokemon in one shot. In RSE I caught them and put them in the box. In BW/BW2 I barely used them. Only raised it a couple levels before I got tired.

DjangoCribbs

Yes, and the point usually is, regardless of nature, I don't like to ruin the EVs (even though I can use EV-reducing berries). It's this pest feeling I have that even by letting the cover legendary participate in any battles, I'd taint it in some way. More of just OCD, if you will. By that 'pristine' condition part; Keeping it in the box does indeed keep it in 'pristine' condition through said method. Through any use of EV-reducing berries, it would do fine, but I have no means of actually getting those berries.

It just feels nice to keep the Legendary in its box, like a nice trophy that people can see, is what I'm saying.

So only use it against Pokemon that will give it desirable EVs?
I can totally understand wanting it simply as a trophy. That's fine. Just go with that. Forget your other reason, it's confusing and you don't need it.

I like to think that PC boxes are wide open fields/caves/etc., and that the legendaries are frolicking in them.... Yeah. My logic doesn't make sense.

No, I can understand that. I'd like to think that they aren't literally just stored data, that'd be a bit mean. Similar to how Ash has all of his back at Pallet Town, I imagine they all live with the game's "resident" Professor. On my Soul Silver Professor Elm has just been joined by a Sudowoodo. It's freshly caught and a little rambunctious. It's not helping.
But seriously, I think that's a missing game feature. Pokemon you catch and store returning to either your home or your Professor. They can run about the building and you can talk to them, similar to the partner Pokemon feature from HG/SS. Take it a step further, post Elite Four you get an "expansion" where a new area opens up, out back of the Professor's lab or something. It can have a lake/river, grass, trees and high perches, a bit of rocky ground... you get the idea. Completing tasks in game can earn you "accessories" to go in it, they've done stuff like that before. And it can be one of many places that key trainer NPCs like Gym leaders will come to see you, maybe giving you a gift or a rematch.
Bring back the phone system too and you can get calls occasionally commenting on the Pokemon you just caught/sent. Something large and intimidating would get a rather alarmed response, something very rare would get praise and if you got a Legendary...

Mewter

Biotechnic Deviant
In-game: All the time for training other Pokemon through the Elite Four.
With Friends: Only if they allow it/we're doing legendary battles
Competitively: Only in the tiers they're allowed in.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Right now I'm using Groudon in my Ruby version and it fits very nicely. It's sort of a replacement for my Aron who is deathly underleveled at this point, so eventually I'll train it up so that it can replace Groudon, and finally evolve at level 35. But otherwise I love legendaries, they fit into my teams well, usually.

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
Nope. In my opinion, they take out the team's originality.
I only use them competitively in Uber matches.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
No, I can understand that. I'd like to think that they aren't literally just stored data, that'd be a bit mean. Similar to how Ash has all of his back at Pallet Town, I imagine they all live with the game's "resident" Professor. On my Soul Silver Professor Elm has just been joined by a Sudowoodo. It's freshly caught and a little rambunctious. It's not helping.
But seriously, I think that's a missing game feature. Pokemon you catch and store returning to either your home or your Professor. They can run about the building and you can talk to them, similar to the partner Pokemon feature from HG/SS. Take it a step further, post Elite Four you get an "expansion" where a new area opens up, out back of the Professor's lab or something. It can have a lake/river, grass, trees and high perches, a bit of rocky ground... you get the idea. Completing tasks in game can earn you "accessories" to go in it, they've done stuff like that before. And it can be one of many places that key trainer NPCs like Gym leaders will come to see you, maybe giving you a gift or a rematch.
Bring back the phone system too and you can get calls occasionally commenting on the Pokemon you just caught/sent. Something large and intimidating would get a rather alarmed response, something very rare would get praise and if you got a Legendary...

That would be a cool feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.