• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you use monotypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJPalmer85

I wanna try it actually..with every type if possible. What game would any of you suggest for a fufilling experience with each type? Qwaa ;195;

any of the newer games would be my first choice. I feel like the older games FR/LG/E would offer more of a challenge.

B

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
It really depends on the team I'm putting together. I had an arcanine in my team for a while because of FlashFire, and it had better IVs to work with than some of my other choices at the time. I don't see anything inherently wrong with mono-type pokemon. They fill their niche just like any other.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
No, Id like to though one day. I believe I did actually use a fire mono team on my HG but it was long ago.

Cutty

Forever now
I think I have, but only in-game playthrough where high level and moves are the key to win.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I like diverse teams so I never really did it. The only kind of mono type team is love to make is a Steel/Ground team. That would be pwnage.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Back when I was a kid playing yellow, and then I realized it wasn't that helpful playing nothing but electric types so I decided to ditch the idea. It might work better nowadays considering the larger variety but all in time.

Tenilius

Yes, when I go for a monotype playthrough I'll usually pick a weaker type. I usually find them pretty challenging compared to a balanced team also pretty fun at the same time.

So far I've completed a Poison run through in Emerald, an Ice type run of Pearl and most recently, a very difficult Grass type run of White 2.

Colt45

Cobalt
Not on a playthrough if that's what you mean. Not in Competitive Battling either, but this week I need to make a mono grass team for the clan I'm in. Any tips BTW?

Cyrius

Ice-Cold Charisma
Not on a playthrough if that's what you mean. Not in Competitive Battling either, but this week I need to make a mono grass team for the clan I'm in. Any tips BTW?

Yes ive used them before.

My tip is to not use anything other than grass types

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Currently have a Blue save where I'm playing through with a Monotype Poison team. Even naming them after various poisons!

Trainer Name:
Botulin, after the deadliest poison known to man, Botulinum Toxin.

Pokemon:
Beedrill: Oo-Suzume, after the venomous Japanese wasp Oo-Suzumebachi.
Zubat: Belladonna, another name for the infamous Deadly Nightshade.
Nidorino: Cnidocyte, the name of the poison that most poisonous mammals secrete.
Bellsprout: Oleander, the deadliest plant-poison known to man.

I plan on finishing off my team later on with a Tentacruel, whose name will relate to the Box Jellyfish, and a Muk, who I'll name after some deadly man-made poison.

Snorlax Max

While Supplies Last!
No, but I've been thinking about doing a Normal mono team in Platinum.

Scot_82

Shiny Hunter
I am currently doing my first Nuzlocke and am finding it extremely boring (could be because it is on Diamond and I don't like Diamond anyway). I have never attempted a monotype game, but it sounds a lot more fun than a Nuzlocke. My favorite types are Electric, Psychic, and Dark. My question is would I just pick any of the three starters to start and then give it up once I have one of the monotypes?

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I am currently doing my first Nuzlocke and am finding it extremely boring (could be because it is on Diamond and I don't like Diamond anyway). I have never attempted a monotype game, but it sounds a lot more fun than a Nuzlocke. My favorite types are Electric, Psychic, and Dark. My question is would I just pick any of the three starters to start and then give it up once I have one of the monotypes?

That's what I did with my Poison monotype. I even started with Bulbasaur, but I just feel like the runs are more fun using more common Pokemon. It's an "aspiring Gym Leader" sort of feel.

As for your type preferences, I'd say you should do a Dark one in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Cacturne, Sharpedo, and Absol are the main Darks off the top of my head, but that sounds like a great fun team already!

Pochie ~

Brazilian S♡ne
I did it once. It was fun because Water is my favorite type, but I wouldn't do it again... I don't mind repeating a type in my team, tough.

Chingchar

I made a dark type competitive team it had Tyranitar and cacturne on it to name a few and it worked really well :)
And then I might try one when I start X and Y maybe a water one but it depends :)

Status
Not open for further replies.