• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you use your favourites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieNelson

I use my favorites all the time. For example: Swoobat and Bulk Up Gallade both take a Quiverdance pass from venomoth fantastically. Swoobat gets more speed, as well as more power for it's Simple Stored Power; Gallade can get past it's average speed stat, as well as making it even more specially bulky then it already is. I used that in OU and won many times.

RedTroopa

Flame Trainer
I tend to base a team around my favorite Pokemon like Jolteon, Lucario, or Arcanine. Then I see what teammates would make the team successful and end up with more Pokemon that I like.

Olympion

Absolutely, for me there's much more satisfaction in winning if I do it alongside some of my favorite Pokemon. However, that doesn't mean my teams will only consist of my favorite Pokemon in a given tier, what I instead do is build a team around a particular favorite from the tier in question. For example, Reshiram is my favorite Uber, so what I'll do is build a sun team around it. If some of my other favorite Ubers (like Mewtwo) fit into the team I'll definitely be happy about that, but if I'll need to add certain Pokemon I'm less attached to (like Palkia) in order for the team to work, then I'm willing to do that as well.

StanTheStaraptor

Not really.
Mostly because I already trained all my faves (Vileplume, Breloom, Vaporeon and Sceptile + many others in my signature) without EV training or consideration for online battling, mainly because I didn't have Wi-Fi when I trained them and I didn't see much point in EV training them. That being said, my Sunny Day Magmortar and Chlorophyll-Nasty Plot Shiftry kick *** in double battles.
My EV trained team, which I use for ranked battles (Gallade, Meganium, Cinccino, Lapras and Zoroark) contain Pokemon I like, but none of those would be in my top 10, or even 25 favourite Pokemon.

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
I usually try to use a theme I like, but more often than not by the time I get the team to any playable level it barely follows that premise anymore.

Though my recent team is pretty cool.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
With Chandelure in mind, I'm actually tempted to use a strategy with my favourite Pokemon (see user icon) and Gothitelle (who has the same Dream World ability as Chandelure) who would proceed by sweeping the majority of the foe's team after using Calm Mind many times due to the foe's lacklustre attacks due to Power Split. Think it would work? If not, what if I used Chandelure instead once it is released and it is not sent to the Uber tier?

Mega Typhlosion

Yes I use my favourites no matter how much people try to convince me that you can't win unless you use Garchomp/Terrakion/Ferrothorn/Tyrannitar and some others. My Typhlosion never leaves, and I adapted my battling style to make him shine, and guess what, he does!

I always try to use Pokémon that I like and that I feel like they suit my playing style. If I see a hyper overused Pokémon like Garchomp then I won't use it. It's no fun winning using a team that has no personal input at all. Putting 6 standards together and win because of their hyper stats is not fun. Which is what Pokémon games are about.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
I mean, if you don't use the pokemon you have a bond to, don't bother battling at all. Then again, when i use the pokemon i have a bond to . . . well . . . let's just say that i battled 80 times and I won 15. -__-

Ilan

I mean, if you don't use the pokemon you have a bond to, don't bother battling at all. Then again, when i use the pokemon i have a bond to . . . well . . . let's just say that i battled 80 times and I won 15. -__-

Stop using pikachu he sucks..

want to use those weaklings go to NU..

In today metagames there are only a few pokemons who don't have a place at all in any metagame if you don't like most OU pokemon don't play OU..

MOst of my favorites are OU so I don't have problems the current team I use (I posted it in RMT) have like 4 of my favorites.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Stop using pikachu he sucks..

want to use those weaklings go to NU..
Stop shooting down the kid, he doesn't know how the training mechanics work, nor does it seem like he cares. Deal with it, let him be, and move on! In all honesty though, this was the right place to post though.

As for you VideoGamer17, read the bottom line in my signature. Careful swaying words like that around on the Internet especially in the competitive sections. Be lucky you weren't treated harsher.

In today metagames there are only a few pokemons who don't have a place at all in any metagame if you don't like most OU pokemon don't play OU..
This is what Gamefreak lacks considering the considering the core mechanic of their famed RPG series, balanced diversity in the majority of if not every character. Nonetheless, comparing to other RPGs, there's nothing wrong with this, almost every RPG has monsters that are stronger versions of others. On the competitive side of things and the core mechanic of collecting monsters, this isn't good and needs to be fixed in later instalments.

HetaOni

Chesaught
Lucario,Manectric,Typhlosion,Flygon,Eevee,and Wartortle!Even though I always get my butt kicked with this team,I can't think of a team I'd rather have.I always use my favorite Pokemon! :p

Rhonder

For me, it really depends. I don't go out of my way to use my favorites in every team that I make because naturally every pokemon doesn't fit well into every type of team. However, whenever I do use my favorites, I use them in OU regardless the tier. As for what these pokemon are, I'd say a decent list is... Breloom, Ampharos, Froslass, Piloswine, Gastrodon, and some others as well. Some of those pokemon are OU anyways, so when they go on an OU team it's not really any different, but with like Amphy and Froslass, they usually catch people off guard since they're like... NU and UU. With Piloswine I gave in and just use Mamoswine on my teams (I think it looks kinda weird, but wev) HOWEVER when I use a swinub in the games I just don't evolve it past Piloswine xD

But yeah, I dunno. Ampharos is pretty versatile. The only sucky part is that Raikou has his exact stats but a little better. HOWEVER I still use Amphy anyways. He can fill all sorts of roles. In the past I've used him as a bulky revenge killer of sorts (Either Leftovers or air balloon, lots of def evs, Thunderbolt, T Wave, HP Ice (those dragons never suspect it), and volt switch. Also, his agility set with more offensive EVs and Nature is good too (I use pretty much the same set). And most recently, I've used him as a Dual Screener for an HO Team xD I'm pretty sure Raikout can't do that ;P

As for Froslass, I only use one set for her. Spikes, Taunt, Ice Beam, and Destiny Bond. That one's really fun to use :D That way you can either use her as a lead or a back up lead, lay out some hazards (Or decimate a grass or dragon type), disrupt set up pokes, and then try and take someone with you on the way out. it's good fun.

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
Yup, I definitely do. I can also use Pokémon I'm not that big a fan of from time to time if they fit the team or whatever theme I have going on, but I'll never use Pokémon I just plain dislike (hence the Kami trio is out of the picture for me as are Politoed, Ferrothorn and so on). Right now I'm running a monotype flying team in OU, which pretty much consists solely of my favorite flying types. It's kicked major ass even though most of my matches have been against non-monotype teams. I love it.

For the very same reason, whenever I decide to try my hand at Ubers, I'm gonna carry a Ho-Oh. I don't care if Stealth Rock murders it. I just have to make sure the opponent doesn't get the chance to set it up/I have something to get rid of it if it is set up. Also totally going to have a Murkrow in Little Cup if I ever go and try that again.

Durbe

I'm tired
My first teams always contains my favourites, then after some development, some will remain, some won't.
Take my main team, for example. Togekiss and Roserade have been there since the start and it's still hanging around in my main team up until today.
Although recently I have been considering that maybe I'll replace them with something else soon...

Cosmic Fury

Evil Overlord
I really tend to use Pokemon that I like, or that I find very interesting. For example, I laddered all the way to 1386 points, using a team that I built off a cool Lapras set that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.