• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you want gyms back or a similar form of gyms?

Gyms are wonderful
Also want elite four since we didn’t have it in Galar
I agree. I prefer to face (mostly) brand-new trainers in the gauntlet leading up to the champion instead of having rematches against trainers you have already beaten earlier in the game.

Kaddy2009

Pokémon wouldn't get rid of gyms: aside from PLA and Sun and Moon, gyms were what made you progress through the story, and the fact that you can go at your own pace with this game is awesome. Gyms are awesome and I doubt that they won't get rid of them.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Pokémon wouldn't get rid of gyms: aside from PLA and Sun and Moon, gyms were what made you progress through the story, and the fact that you can go at your own pace with this game is awesome. Gyms are awesome and I doubt that they won't get rid of them.
They can always create something new to replace Gyms with.

Baggie_Saiyan

If there are gyms I hope to Arceus that they ditch each gym leader focusing on a specific type that's always been so stupid. Hopefully they go the Raihan route for all leaders where he had non Dragon's and focused on a strategy.

Otherwise I'd rather they do something different like in Gen 7.

Ultra Beast Lover

I don't really mind Gyms having one type, it's similar to how certain RPGs that have an element system will have bosses connected to certain elements. Although it would be nice if certain gyms were more thematic then elemental, for instance focusing on weather mechanics, different strategies, or even a theme like farm animals or forest animals, maybe even a magical girl theme.

Orphalesion

One gym concept I'd like to see would be a gym that has two leaders, each specializing in an opposing type who you then fight in a double battle.

Like, for example a gym with two siblings, or a couple, and one of them specializes in dark and the other in fairy types.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really want to see a Nurse Joy who is also a Gym Leader and while she has no specific Type specialty, her Pokémon all utilize at least one status healing and/or HP restoration move. She would of course have a Chansey, a Blissey depending on which order she is in the Gym Badge line up, an Azumarill with Draining Kiss and Aqua Ring, and an Audino.

Julia Artemis

I'd like it to be a mix of Legends Arceus and Sun and Moon. But maybe we battle a leader at the end. I don't know the gym puzzles in SWSH was a good idea but overall too simple and want it to be more challenging. Also would like to see gyms be not based off of typing but on battle mechanics instead. Knowing the typing honestly makes the game too easy

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'd like it to be a mix of Legends Arceus and Sun and Moon. But maybe we battle a leader at the end. I don't know the gym puzzles in SWSH was a good idea but overall too simple and want it to be more challenging. Also would like to see gyms be not based off of typing but on battle mechanics instead. Knowing the typing honestly makes the game too easy
I’m okay with challenging Gym Puzzles as long as they aren’t like Lt Surge’s trash cans or some sort of teleportation puzzle and every room looks exactly the same to the point you can’t remember which pad you’ve already tried.

Luthor

One gym concept I'd like to see would be a gym that has two leaders, each specializing in an opposing type who you then fight in a double battle.

Like, for example a gym with two siblings, or a couple, and one of them specializes in dark and the other in fairy types.

That could be really interesting. If they did that I'd like to see their signature Pokemon be connected in some way. For example a branched evolutionary line where the same base pokemon evolves into 2 different Pokemon one of which is fairy and one of which is dark.

Orphalesion

That could be really interesting. If they did that I'd like to see their signature Pokemon be connected in some way. For example a branched evolutionary line where the same base pokemon evolves into 2 different Pokemon one of which is fairy and one of which is dark.

Well, since I love branched evolutions and always wish we had more, I of course love that idea as well!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I've since changed my mind on Gyms and now I think that they will be in these games. Here's my predictions of who the Gym Leaders will be:

Dusty (Ground)
Cole (Rock)
Ferra (Steel)
Avery (Flying)
Charles (Fire)
Flora (Grass)
Ellie (Electric)
Hailey (Ice)

And the Elite 4 will consist of:

Umbra (Dark)
Draco (Dragon)
Sylvia (Fairy)
Tex (Poison)

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Given Avery chastises Bede for "turning his back on the Psychic type", I think it'd be hypocritical for him to be a Flying-type user now. /s

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Given Avery chastises Bede for "turning his back on the Psychic type", I think it'd be hypocritical for him to be a Flying-type user now. /s
This is a different character with the same name.

Luthor

If the concept of Gym Leaders and the Elite Four are both returning, then a few questions: Can we fight the Elite Four in any order like we did in Unova, Kalos and Alola, and who is the Champion of this yet to be named Region?

If I was to make a guess it would is both gym leader and elite 4 will return. It's a guess I admit (we have little that isn't speculation) but so far the majority of games that have battling have had both. The alola games didn't have gym leaders but that was more because they replaced them with trials. As for elite 4 there wasn't any in Galar but my guess is that they wanted lean more heavily into the sport element and have a tournament. Legends Arceus didn't have either but given its past setting and how most people are not trainers it would have been tricky to have either (not impossible but trickier). So until we have some reason not to include gym leaders and elite 4's my guess will be it will return. Assuming there is an elite 4 my guess is it will be able to be challenged in any order as the most recent non-remake games to have an elite 4 have worked that way. As for a champion it could be anyone so until we have anything to go on my guess for now is Nemona will be revealed as the champion (similar to the Kanto rivals winning just before us) as we only have 3 named characters so far and the other 2 are the professors (and I can't say it 100% won't be them either) but honestly it could be anyone.

Orphalesion

Honestly I'd prefer if they stuck with a champion tournament rather than the old concept of the Elite 4.
What I'd do is have a sort of "pseudo Elite 4": The battles leadingup to the champion would still be presented as a tournament but instead of battling trainers you already met leading up to the Champion, there'd be four rounds, and in each round you'd battle a strong trainer you haven't met before i.e. four characters that are functionally Elite 4, but dressed up as a tournament.

I've just never been a fan of this concept of the Elite 4 and the Champion sitting somewhere in the ass-end of nowhere when, realistically, people in the Pokemon world would want to watch that tier of fights. Same with Gym fights.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I really do hope we get some extensive challenges with the games, more so like the trials from Sun & Moon.

The challenges in Sword & Shield were cool, too, but I like missions. Make me do stuff, you know?