• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you want to see Brock back?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Realistically speaking Brock probably should have never been in DP, the only reason he was, was probably that there was no viable Gym leader to replace him with.

Roark replacing Brock would have been ridiculous, since he's ANOTHER rock type Gym leader with Geodude and Onix no less! And none of the other male Gym leaders would work as travel companions.

I get the feeling that the writers regretted having Brock in DP, given they pretty much ignored him throughout most of the arc. They only have him 3 pokemon, technically only two as Bonsly was caught in a previous arc, and his team remained unchanged from 2007 all the way till 2010.

Haunter ゴースト

Realistically speaking Brock probably should have never been in DP, the only reason he was, was probably that there was no viable Gym leader to replace him with.

Roark replacing Brock would have been ridiculous, since he's ANOTHER rock type Gym leader with Geodude and Onix no less! And none of the other male Gym leaders would work as travel companions.

I get the feeling that the writers regretted having Brock in DP, given they pretty much ignored him throughout most of the arc. They only have him 3 pokemon, technically only two as Bonsly was caught in a previous arc, and his team remained unchanged from 2007 all the way till 2010.

Unfortunately I actually agree, but the thing is, the writers caused it upon themselves.

They could have given Brock a lot more devlopment overall in episodes that literally had no meaning at all, they had the choice to make him enjoyable still and give him more captures etc.

It's almost as if the writers wanted the viewers to become bored of Brock.

At the end of the day I blame the writers well and truly for ruining his character in DP, I enjoyed him nonetheless, but Brock had so much more potential in DP which the writers never ceased ahold of.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well they tried to an extent. Croagunk was treated like a real mascot and got the best screentime any of Brock's pokemon ever had. He had a few DP fillers along the way, like that Miltank cafe episode and the one with the Electrike.

Of course being involved in the Galactic finale and seeing Uxie was good too, and seemed to be one of the last moments of glory for Brock in the series.

The other thing that bothered me is they didn't even try to make Brock and Dawn seem like friends. This has never happened in any previous arc:

- Misty/Brock felt like friends
- May/Max/Brock felt like friends
- Iris/Cilan feel like friends

And in the specials Misty and Tracey feel like good friends, moreso than in Orange.

Dawn and Brock NEVER felt like friends to me. They both had the common link of Ash, but nothing toward each other.

Haunter ゴースト

Well they tried to an extent. Croagunk was treated like a real mascot and got the best screentime any of Brock's pokemon ever had. He had a few DP fillers along the way, like that Miltank cafe episode and the one with the Electrike.

Of course being involved in the Galactic finale and seeing Uxie was good too, and seemed to be one of the last moments of glory for Brock in the series.

The other thing that bothered me is they didn't even try to make Brock and Dawn seem like friends. This has never happened in any previous arc:

- Misty/Brock felt like friends
- May/Max/Brock felt like friends
- Iris/Cilan feel like friends

And in the specials Misty and Tracey feel like good friends, moreso than in Orange.

Dawn and Brock NEVER felt like friends to me. They both had the common link of Ash, but nothing toward each other.

I just wanna say, Brock was a brilliant character and no matter what I say that sounds bad here is purely based on the writers terrible skills.

Definately, Croagunk was great and sold it as a mascot and Brock's main (although im pretty sure it should have been Sudowoodo) DP Pokemon for me.

And yeah he did have the odd few episodes which showcased him well, but like I said he had the potential for so much more.

For a start, he could of had some more captures, if he wasn't going to get anymore the writers should have started Brock with a few of his AG team too.

Second the Pokemon he did have in DP didn't get used half as much as they should have in 191 episodes,

Countless oportunities in nearly every episode Brock could have joined in and used his Pokemon to save the day against TR, instead it was always Ash and Dawn.
Brock's Pokemon were barely ever used when they should have which disappointed me greatly.

Meh, some episodes seemed like they were friends but if anything Brock was more of a mentor and narrator to the audience explaining everything to Dawn.
But in all fairness that didn't bother me much, at least Ash and Brocks friendship was shown.

His departure in ep191 shaking hands with Ash was brilliant if you ask me, even though it was roughly 20 seconds it worked so well and seemed like they were definetly best friends.

Overall Im just annoyed at how he lacked so much development, especially in the last half of the saga.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
I really want to see brock back! cilan isnt as funny as him

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
Brock really should have gotten a Ditto somewhere in the series he was in. If we'd seen more of his dream to become a top class Breeder, he could have been fantastic.

Then he turns around and wants to become a Pokemon Doctor? I'd be fine with this, had it been developed over time a bit more, realising that his dream was focused more in another area of Pokemon care expertise, but jeez.

I'd still like to see him back if the writers decided to make him actually develop a little; after training, breeding is probably the most common act in the games. Screw the contests, musicals and other ridiculous crap, most people train and breed. Ash and Brock should have been representive of these two things, but Brock never got a chance to do anything other than get goofy over Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys. Bravo, writing team.

gohan5

Irisboy
I really don't. Perhaps I'm just being grouchy, but I think Dent accomplished more in 50 episodes than Brock accomplished in 652.

That's a biased comparison. And in any event, I'd say that Brock and Dento are about the same in the first 50 episodes in which they debuted :p Brock probably "accomplished" more :p

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
B
I'd still like to see him back if the writers decided to make him actually develop a little; after training, breeding is probably the most common act in the games. Screw the contests, musicals and other ridiculous crap, most people train and breed. Ash and Brock should have been representive of these two things, but Brock never got a chance to do anything other than get goofy over Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys. Bravo, writing team.

I doubt little kids would have any interest in watching Brock force two pokemon to mate with one another and produce an egg.

Its kinda why Brock's breeding goal was so limited, they could never really make it work in the series. That's why he just wound up taking care of pokemon and making food for them instead in most eps that centered around him.

takbir10

Banned
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes and yes!! I don't like cilan. Bring brock baaack

yessssssssssssssssssss
i miss him going gaga for the ladies

starshapes

Rising Star
D= But then I'd miss going gaga for Dento!!! DX How about we keep Dento in right now (for his fans like me and some other users) and then Brock can come back after Dento leaves or whatever.

I agree with this sentiment. Brock was one of my favorite characters of all time but I really like Dento as well. They both are entertaining in their own way.

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
I doubt little kids would have any interest in watching Brock force two pokemon to mate with one another and produce an egg.

Its kinda why Brock's breeding goal was so limited, they could never really make it work in the series. That's why he just wound up taking care of pokemon and making food for them instead in most eps that centered around him.

Unfortunately as well for Brock; the basic sentiment around breeding is something that directly contrasts with Ash's training style;

When breeding two Pokemon the goal is to breed two Pokemon to make a genetically superior offspring, thus replacing the parents in doing so.

Ash's training style meanwhile consists of just training whatever Pokemon he can to get the best out of them. Narratively, it totally works; a classic underdog story, but for the actual way the game works? Only Paul has done it right so far.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
When breeding two Pokemon the goal is to breed two Pokemon to make a genetically superior offspring, thus replacing the parents in doing so.

Ash's training style meanwhile consists of just training whatever Pokemon he can to get the best out of them. Narratively, it totally works; a classic underdog story, but for the actual way the game works? Only Paul has done it right so far.

Pretty much. I think the fact that the writers limited Brock's role as a battler didn't help matters either. Its funny because when you stop to think of it, Brock only has a handful of major battles each season. He didn't even get involved in TR blast-off's most of the time, because it was always Ash's female companion who battled them with Ash instead.

The funny part of it all is people think the Contests are what sidelined Brock in the series, when its not really true. The Johto saga had no Contests and Brock didn't get any more screentime in that arc than he did in AG or DP. And this is on top of Misty doing nothing either...lol.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
The funny part of it all is people think the Contests are what sidelined Brock in the series, when its not really true. The Johto saga had no Contests and Brock didn't get any more screentime in that arc than he did in AG or DP. And this is on top of Misty doing nothing either...lol.

I think some of this has to do that in OS people watched the show because of Ash and the Pokemon (at least that's what I did. I didn't care about Misty or Brock) but after Misty left, they brought in a new girl that had a battling journey for people to focus on, so it was no longer just about Ash, it was about Ash and his friend(s).

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
There is not need for Brock right now. There is already Cilan to cook and Oshawott to be the love failure in the show. Not to mention Alder who will probably show up again and Iris is holding her spot pretty well.