• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you want to see Brock handle a Starter again?

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
*THIS is NOT about what pokemon Brock should get next*

Brock has only gotten one starter ever, Mudkip-->Marshtomp. I feel that it was miss managed horribly, partly because of Sceptile(as well as some of the other pokemon on Ash's team) and May's contests. Also, the term "Mudkipz" comes to mind as another possible reason why we didnt see 'Tomp showcased after its evo.

I really dont think that the writers could handle Brock doing anything but being a parent/guide, and occasionally expanding on his breeder aspect. More so if the female lead and Ash's starters are going to go head to head like Tile and Blaziken.

Could you imagine Swampert on Brock's team? OMFG there would be a decent reason to have him around from time to time. It would have been a nice complement to Steelix, I might add.

I know that one dude in the Battle Frontier had a Swampert, but he could have been given something else, no? Also i didnt factor in Pikachu overshadowing anything because the writers automatically focus on him. I also realize that the Tile/Blaziken rivalry came out towards the end of the whole Hoenn saga, but the story line expanding time for 'Tomp was over by then.

ya

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Nope acually i consider it better that brock has no starter as then he becomes slightly more useful then he already is.

milenadrg

Swampert is the water type, and Brock is rock. I can't imagine Brock with Swampert in his team, but if he has Torterra, it would be little better...

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
Brock could have gotten the swampert he needed to stay credible as a character. If only that meme didnt spawn.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Swampert is the water type, and Brock is rock. I can't imagine Brock with Swampert in his team, but if he has Torterra, it would be little better...
He had Marshtomp and Ludicolo...both are water. Seeing as how he's only gotten one rock type since departing with Ash (Bonsly/Sudowoodo), the rock trainer argument holds little water.
Brock could have gotten the swampert he needed to stay credible as a character. If only that meme didnt spawn.
How would that have helped him stay credible? If Mudkip and Marstomp were any indication, it's not like he would have ever used it...

thunderblade12

I think that Swampert is too strong for Brock. You must know that Brock barely fights at all. But Mudkip needs some spotlight, since it got no screentime because of Grovyle and Combusken. And when it evovled, it got shafted by Sceptile and Blaziken. But if the writers gives him a Starter, so then they should give the Starter some battles. But you must know that Brock don't battles, but when he battles, like the Heartrome Tag Contest and with Ash at the Tag Battle resturant, then his pokemon gets a little shining time. But Brock is a back seater and Ash and Main Girl always gets the attention. So Brock must have many shinning moments to give a starter time to shine.

Crobat, Steelix, Ludicolo and Blissey are just as strong.

But to answer the question, no he shouldn't. The only important thing Mudkip/Marshtomp ever did was thatr contest where it lost to May's Eevee

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
He had Marshtomp and Ludicolo...both are water. Seeing as how he's only gotten one rock type since departing with Ash (Bonsly/Sudowoodo), the rock trainer argument holds little water.

How would that have helped him stay credible? If Mudkip and Marstomp were any indication, it's not like he would have ever used it...

Keeping him credible? i does showcase the starter waaaay earlier and he could have something to help train others, or at least another plot to follow. Also, didnt he have fortress as well? I seem to have forgotten about it.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I think Brock should have gotten Chimchar, i think he could have helped it with it's emotional problems.

thunderblade12

But then it would have never won against Paul's Ursaring, Jun's Staraptor and Fantina's Drifblim/Mismagius and wouldn't be a symbol of Ash and Paul's relationship. Also, Ash would have been left fire-less, his only option would have been Magby or a wildcard like -shudders- Riolu.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Keeping him credible? i does showcase the starter waaaay earlier and he could have something to help train others, or at least another plot to follow. Also, didnt he have fortress as well? I seem to have forgotten about it.
You have to remember that this is Brock we're talking about. The writers treat both him and his Pokemon like dirt. Swampert could not have been showcased well since Swampert would have barely been shown outside its Pokeball.

As for Forretress, we forgive you for forgetting about it, as none of us really remember it either, even when it was one his team for those three full sagas.

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
You have to remember that this is Brock we're talking about. The writers treat both him and his Pokemon like dirt. Swampert could not have been showcased well since Swampert would have barely been shown outside its Pokeball.

As for Forretress, we forgive you for forgetting about it, as none of us really remember it either, even when it was one his team for those three full sagas.

It scares me that i remember him less than that jigglypuff at the start of the series >_>

I had also forgotten just how badly the writers treat brock. I dont seriously remember any of his battles besides what he did against Molly in that one pokemon movie with entei in it and his gym battle with Ash..

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
It would be nice to see Brock with another starter, but I'd prefer Ash to have two again and the girl get the stereotypical girly, cute one.

Faerie

MONS
I'd love to see Takeshi get another starter, or anything at all just to give him some more screen time. I actually think that he's an interesting chracter.

The thing is, the way he is now, it's kind of impossible. He almost never battles, and the only purpose he serves more than twice a season is to flirt with every woman he sees and to provide Satoshi and Hikari with useful information. Giving him a starter would force the writers to give him more screen time, but to let it evolve to the third form, he would have to become a major character. (Right now he's just a familiar face in the background.) Frankly, I don't see that happening.

scizor master

Put scizor on these!
I think Brock should get one more pokemon late on in sinnoh (tangela, riolu) then take that to 5th generation region and catch a fire starter, then hopefully do something useful or even compete in some kind of contests with as or new girl like tag contests or gym battles (unlikely).

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Only if he actually did something with it. I wouldnt mind him getting the Fire Type Starter which i dreamt up for the next region (the cat one).

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Before DP began, I was think Brock would get Turtwig. But since Ash got Turtwig, I then was hoping he'd get Chimchar, after I saw Paul with Chimchar.

Now, I was convinced he'd get no starter this series. But I'm having hopes he will get Ash's Gliscor, after the absence of Crobat.

PDL

disenchanted
Probably not, since Mudkip didn't get alot of showcasing while it was with Brock.

I'd rather have Brock get something else. I don't care too much, but something with a backstory, like Chimchar.

Torpoleon

I guess borck should have another starter.But not an overwhelming one........

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Poor, Poor Brock, Him and his pokemon have just been treated so badly, I actually liked him during Kanto 1 when he had Vulpix. Even in Johto, the whole Pineco gag had potential,but after that it just got sadder and sadder. The only thing that made worth while in Sinnoh was Croagunk, and now thats lost its initial pazzaz.

I also find it sad that nobody remembers that Brock participated in the Hearthome Tag Battle