• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Doctor Who

Clare

The Dainty Delcatty
I do. I'm watching the latest episodes as they air. And I've got DVDs for all the first ten Doctors, though I can't help wondering how many people here (if any) have seen the old series, the one which aired from 1963 to 1989. If you haven't, I suggest you do as the old series had some great stories. Even if some of the early stuff does look crude by today's standards . . .

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
POWER RANGER DALEKS. At least they don't have a pink one. And you never know, maybe they'll transform into robotic dinosaurs and sh*t.
Now that that's out of the way, I would really rather like to know what the hell is going on with Amy and the cracks in the universe.
I think Matt Smith's good, but not as good as David tennant, and he seems to have too many similarities to DT as well. If it's meant to be a transitional period, it's a bloody long one.
Also looking forward to return of the Silurians and the Cybermen. I have a feeling the Cybermen might be treated to a redesign like the Daleks, since the production team seem to be reinventing everything and the Cybermen in the trailer were in a pretty bad state.

And that's my two cents.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
I do. I'm watching the latest episodes as they air. And I've got DVDs for all the first ten Doctors, though I can't help wondering how many people here (if any) have seen the old series, the one which aired from 1963 to 1989. If you haven't, I suggest you do as the old series had some great stories. Even if some of the early stuff does look crude by today's standards . . .

Yep I've seen a few mostly tom baker whose scarf is epic.

Other than a couple of episodes; no I haven't watched much of the original series of doctor who. (like most 13 year olds) But after that I've seen about 20 minutes of the film, and have watched the New series.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I really want watch some of the old Doctor Who But I head that some are lost.

indigohex

I really want watch some of the old Doctor Who But I head that some are lost.

Yes Blaze Boy, there are some episodes that are unfortunately lost, but they were mostly from the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton eras, and this was due to the BBC's policy of wiping episodes back in the 1960s. Of course, it should be stressed that Doctor Who is not unique in this respect, as other series were also victim of this wiping policy, and it wasn't just the BBC who did it, as the ITV companies did it with The Avengers, which was created by the same man who created Doctor Who. But that story is for another day. It was done for economical and space-saving reasons, even though some episodes that were considered lost were eventually found from foreign broadcasters who broadcasted the program.

According to Wikipedia, there are 45 lost episodes (from 12 serials, including seven complete serials) from the William Hartnell era and 63 lost episodes (from 15 serials, including 4 complete serials) from the Patrick Troughton era. There was one serial from the Jon Pertwee era that was lost (Invasion of the Dinosaurs), but that was recovered, even though Part 1 was in black and white and the rest were in colour). But they are working towards the colourisation of part 1 of that particular serial. Here is an article about these lost episodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes).

Apart from that, I would like to see some of the old episodes, in particular those from the Tom Baker and Peter Davison eras. And I should stress that Matt Smith is just a few years younger than Peter Davison was at the time he became the Fifth Doctor back in 1981.

And I think Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan) could be up there with Sarah-Jane Smith (played by Elisabeth Sladen in the Pertwee, Tom Baker and David Tennant eras) as one of the greatest companions ever.

The Unholy

Pokemaster
I love Doctor Who!I was really saddend when David Tennant left, but Matt Smith is pretty good!

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I love Doctor Who!I was really saddend when David Tennant left, but Matt Smith is pretty good!

Me too, but Matt Smith just keeps on proving to me that he's better! I watch the new episodes, and then I look back on a David Tennant episode, and he really doesn't compare.

Still loved him at the time though :)

I'd probably like the Matt Smith Doctor more if it weren't for Amy. (Sorry to all the fans, but I kinda lost the ability to like her much after she pretty much tried to jump the Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone.)

He also took a while to get used to (he kinda came off a bit jerkish in some parts, e.g. with the space whale, though some were justifiable -- the Angels kinda deserved it), but I do like his character a reasonable amount. Did he have to appear first during the beginning of Moffat's reign, though? Blah...

abraxas

Words.
He also took a while to get used to (he kinda came off a bit jerkish in some parts, e.g. with the space whale, though some were justifiable -- the Angels kinda deserved it)

Is it just me, though, that thinks he comes off that way too often? I swear he does something that makes him look or sound like a jerk in every episode.
I'm still not that happy with Matt, but he'll do. Can't stand Amy, though. lol ^^' Good girl and all, just doesn't sit well with me.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I'd probably like the Matt Smith Doctor more if it weren't for Amy. (Sorry to all the fans, but I kinda lost the ability to like her much after she pretty much tried to jump the Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone.)

He also took a while to get used to (he kinda came off a bit jerkish in some parts, e.g. with the space whale, though some were justifiable -- the Angels kinda deserved it), but I do like his character a reasonable amount. Did he have to appear first during the beginning of Moffat's reign, though? Blah...

Do you not like Moffat? I think he's great, Blink and The Doctor Dances are some of my favourite episodes...

But yeah, that's why David Tennant left when he did actually, because RTD was already leaving as head writer, and he thought that it should be a completely fresh start, with a new Doctor, so he left. Obviously not the only reason, but it came into consideration.

Btw, I don't know about you, but David Tennant took a little while for me to get used to. Remember in New Earth? He was really aggressive. And The Christmas Invasion, the whole "no second chances" thing. I thought he was a jerk at first too, but obviously he grew on me. I think that's why I liked Matt Smith almost instantaneously, I'd learnt not to judge on first impressions and was relatively optimistic. I haven't been disappointed yet :)

I can appreciate Moffat's writing, but I don't think we need a full season of him, considering that he managed to come up with the Weeping Angel two-parter? How much more nightmarish can he get, anyway? My argument: this series is a little too creepy already for your average nu-Who series. That could just be me, though.

Last edited:

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
I LOVE DOCTOR WHO!!! However, I'm not sure about the new Doctor, he seems too much like a posh David Tennant... sorta, but I still do like him. My top 5 episodes of Doctor Who are: Time of Angels/ Flesh and stone, Turn Left/ Stolen Earth/ Journeys End, Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead, School Reunion and The Fires of Pompeii. My favourite companion/ally to the Doctor would be River- she's amazing, and I'm so glad that she came back. My theory of who she is is that she is the Doctor's wife- they seem like a married couple and they act like one! I think she looks more like the 10th Doctor's wife than the 11th though, but he is no more. I hope we get to find out soon who she is and I hope we get to see her in many more episodes. I have invented a name for the Doctor/ River shipping: Complexshipping because how they know each other is VERY complicated, its more than just 'their timestreams are mixed up' so you can refer to it as that from now on, if you support them- just an idea. I have also made some Youtube videos of Doctor Who if you want to see them...
This is a tribute to River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3en6eAjgk
This is a countdown of my top 10 allies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMmzR6cGIE
This is a series 4 trailer I made and re-recorded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSDrf1F6To

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I can appreciate Moffat's writing, but I don't think we need a full season of him, considering that he managed to come up with the Weeping Angel two-parter? How much more nightmarish can he get, anyway? My argument: this series is a little too creepy already for your average nu-Who series. That could just be me, though.

I honestly hope it carries on that way. Doctor Who had a mature, gothic phase back in the 70s during Philip Hinchcliffe's tenure as producer and its viewing figures were higher than they ever were before and ever would be again (until the revival in 2005, anyway). So, with any luck, Steven Moffat's writing style will be able to resurrect that period, and this time there'll be no Mary Whitehouse to get in the way. Ahahaha.

Last edited:

lugia*master

Cheese XD
Series Finale synopsis

I don't know if those in America will have heard, but today the BBC revealed the synopsis for the finale, and it sounds absolutely epic from my perspective :D

The Doctor is gone, the TARDIS has been destroyed, and the Universe is collapsing. The only hope for reality is a little girl who still believes in stars. The Time-Travelling drama concludes in an explosive finale - 26/06/2010

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I'm hoping the Finale is as good as the rest of the episodes so far.

I wasn't sure at first, but as it's gone on i've really enjoyed it.

Shame about Rory though, he was better than some of the other girls boyfriends *cough Mickey cough*

indigohex

I'm hoping the Finale is as good as the rest of the episodes so far.

I wasn't sure at first, but as it's gone on i've really enjoyed it.

Shame about Rory though, he was better than some of the other girls boyfriends *cough Mickey cough*

I saw the episode in which Rory was killed off last night on ABC1 and Amy was very emotional. And like you Blue Snover, I hope that the finale is as good as the rest of the episodes so far.

Both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan has signed on for Series 6.

Saturday's ep was quite enjoyable.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
HERE is the trailer for the finale. If you don't want to watch it, then don't, but it looks really good :D

indigohex

Tomorrow night here in Australia, we get "Vincent and the Doctor", so we about a couple of weeks away from the finale (we got four episodes including tomorrow night's episode). We get it a fortnight after the UK, because of the time that the BBC takes with editing Doctor Who Confidential, so ABC1 is airing it at the earliest possible time.

There are also several former companions I would like to see in Series 6: Jack Harkness and Sarah-Jane Smith among others. Should we begin discussions on series 6 yet or wait until the finale to do so?

Last edited: