• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Documentary about fansubs

Best thing I've watched. Watch it you fools!

Rave

Banned
Should be interesting and put on PBS or Discovery channel for all to see the internet piracy going on. =P

Dattebayo

Banned
That documentary was interesting, and it got a point there about the translations and policies.

Soul Dew

<----------ualelele
I enjoyed it as well. I guess I can say that I never had to experience this since I've never watched fansubs except those I've seen in AMVs, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, and PGSM.

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
That was pretty good, I agreed with most of the stuff he said. But I think things like honorifics should be left in subtitles, maybe with notes in a text document explaining them. They're pretty important, and they're not hard to learn. Also... do Japanese people really often refer to themselves in the first person? I don't think so. I think it's something girls do to be cute, and I think something like that might ought to be left in. Also, I kind of do like the kareoke thing if it's not too flashy. Japanese words can be hard to distinguish, especially in song. Oh, and I think important words like "shinigami" might ought to be left in, with text notes. The fans actually want that, I think, and it's not hard for new ones to learn. Even professional translators leave things like that in today.

Most of the fansubs I watch are pretty good, though. xxxHolic has some cultural notes, but... I think that most of those are about things that are second nature to a Japanese person that a Westerner wouldn't get. Superstitions and stuff. I find that manga translations are usually much worse than anime translations. Sometimes I wonder if the pesron speaks English at all. But sometimes there's the unintentionally funny translation... those are always good for a laugh.

Shinigami shouldn't be left in in bleach's case cause even Kubo wants it called Soul Reaper.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

This was such an interesting watch, and I like how instead of just going on about how fansubs are illegal it actually decided to talk about their subbing methods, which I agree with. I do think that if fansubbers want to be taken seriously, they should stop doing all that rubbish they do now.....check a Naruto OP or ending and see how they credit the people who fansubbed it, and supplied RAWs etc.....I mean yeah, good for them, they went against copyright law, but is it really worth putting a USERNAME over a brilliant piece of artwork? If you're too scared to put your real name in case of getting in trouble with the law, just don't take credit. The only one who knows the face behind the username is that person, so what do they gain from it?

Erus Black Mage

It looks like I wasn't the only one who was ****** at the million lines of flashy/glowing/sparkling/sparking text taking up space for the action.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
That's funny, I've never watched a fansub that had all that. But then, I'm not that much for shounen. That might explain that. I thought it was funny when he showed The Last Samurai and Lord of the Rings with explanation notes. Actually, Lord of the Rings geeks would probably love to see the Elvish translated on screen...

Rave

Banned
It's possible with the power of friendship!

Too bad it all only lasts up to a certain point, until friendship is absolutely meaningless.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Actually, Lord of the Rings geeks would probably love to see the Elvish translated on screen...

The really hardcore ones would be able to understand it without subtitles. Being doomed to a life of eternal virginity is but a small price to pay for such enlightenment.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Okay TO BE FAIR that just...doesn't work out.

Okay, for the second point I was talking about anime in general, not Naruto.....in fact, after I watch a lot of anime like This Ugly Yet Beautiful World or Elfen Lied, then I go and watch Naruto, it looks like the screen is covered in dust xD

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
The really hardcore ones would be able to understand it without subtitles. Being doomed to a life of eternal virginity is but a small price to pay for such enlightenment.

This is true. I have known such people. One of them in my class wrote his history notes in Elvish, then couldn't translate them back. It was pretty great.

Rave

Banned
This is true. I have known such people. One of them in my class wrote his history notes in Elvish, then couldn't translate them back. It was pretty great.

I seriously would've paid to see that. It sounds too funny to miss.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist

FAIL!!!

On topic, the documentary is very good, it covers a lot of the st00pid things subers do. An example:
Enter Scene!
Me sitting in from of my computer watching a Bleach sub.
5 seconds later...
This DISCRASE TO ANIME appears on the screen:
justtogetmypointacross.png

Me: O_O erm... What the s***?
Exit Scene.