• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

Not to be sexist or anything but...

When you play a pokemon game, Do you only catch pokemon of Your gender?

I DON'T know why but I seem to prefer boy pokemon over girls...(EXCEPT FOR FEMALE SNIVYS)

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I don't catch them of my own gender because I like to use Pokemon like Nidoqueen. If I'm filling the National Pokedex, I'll catch any Pokemon.

That said, I don't care which gender my Pokemon are. =P I only care about the gender if I'd like them to have a Gender-specific name or so...

RocketToTheMoon

I prefer my favorite Pokémon, Ampharos, to be male (but oddly enough both Ampharoses I primarily use are female). Other than Pokes like Gardevoir, Lopunny, Nidoking/queen, I don't get picky about genders.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Only if it's required for breeding or evolution.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I guess it's just a habit, but if I'm playing ingame, I generally catch Male Pokemon if I'm adding them to my Team. If it's just for filling up the Dex, then no, I don't care.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
No, I tend to catch them with the gender I find more suitable for them, rather than getting all girls. So the likes of Togekiss, Chandelure, Furret, Vanilluxe and Meganium are more feminine while Flareon, Whimsicott, Reuniclus, Scrafty and Galvantula are more masculine, so I catch them in those genders. As a result, the gender ratios of my favourite Pokemon in particular tend to be even. I do think that the cuter Legendaries, such as Jirachi, are mainly girls though (except Manaphy and Victini) and the bigger ones tend to be male, though a majority of other genderless Pokemon also look male to me, and I treat them as such. =/

shadorai

wandering trainer
usually i catch pokemon depending on what gender they look like. like for instance, i would rather have a male garchomp because it does not look very feminine. some pokemon look like they could be either gender though, like... octillery.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I like to have my starter be a female, but for the most part, I'm not too picky about the gender of the Pokémon I want. Though majority of the time, the team members I do end up getting will be female. *shifty eyes*

Maybe I like to give male Pokémon their own harem every now and then okay, okay.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
Years ago I used to try to only use male pokemon if I could help it, especially if it was a species I really like, but then I started to feel bad, and then to add to it I had some friends/acquaintances who at least at the time were STRONGLY against ever catching female pokemon, and then I kinda realized how pointless it was. Now I like to have a mixture in my in-game team (2-4 of a gender if possible). I always wanted my starter to be a male though, but I've practically never gotten a female one (I know they do have much less of a chance of being female) anyway. But in all honesty, the real thing I had (and still somewhat have although it rarely affects my choices anymore) against female pokemons was that I prefer the blue male sign over the pink female one...that's really all. It's not that I dislike the idea of having a girl pokemon or anything. It does of course seem a little awkward when its a pokemon like aggron, tyranitar, gengar, poliwrath, etc, but not a big deal lol.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
Same here. Female beautifly, male charizard.

Ditto B1tch

I like to use females or ungender Pokemons. Considering that females are more rare than males, then using Attract will be more effective.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No, I train either gender, unless the evolution I'm looking for is gender specific (Gallade and Froslass, for example).

auteur

Fossil freak
I like to have a balanced team gender-wise, like 3-3 or 4-2. As to which gender I select for certain Pokémon, it depends... If I mean to use a certain nickname beforehand that requires an specific gender, I go for it. Sometimes, I decide based on their looks, but I also like to transgress and choose the opposite of what it looks, for the sake of it. And sometimes I leave it to chance.