• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Just a note for the future. Any time you open with "Not to sound racist/sexist/homophobic/[insert here], but..." whatever follows the but pretty much winds up being [insert here].

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
It depends. Sometimes, I will really want my starter to be like me, female, but these days I don't really care. I simply set up a proper nickname for either sex and use what works. I try to keep my team relatively even in terms of boys and girls though; let's say, three girl 'mons, and three boys. But that's because Attract is a pain in the butt to deal with.

RedTroopa

Flame Trainer
I don't mind a pokemon's gender, but for my signature pokemon that'd always be my favorite of the team, I'd make sure that it'd be male like me. It's just a thing that your best friend is usually of the same gender but that's what I do in the games.

psychonerderer

For my storyline/adventuring team, I am usually more conerned with nature, than gender. Filling out the Dex, however, I usually catch females, so I can breed something ideal, instead of hunting down something passable. Of course, then I get to the daycare with no males :p

"C'mon guys, back to route 1. Try not to kill everything."

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
I don't try to get certain genders, but I usually end up getting mostly males (Except for my Black 2 playthrough, where I coincidentally got all females.).

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Usually it doesn't matter. When it's a pokemon like MR.Mime or misdreavous, i get a little picky. How can MR. Mime be female? Or Jynx be male?

iFi Salamander

I'm a vampire!
How could this possibly be sexist?

Anyways I generally don't care, it is pretty much just a symbol above their name. The only uses for it are Attract which is a terrible move anyways, breeding which I just use a ditto 95% of the time, and sometimes aesthetics. I refuse to use a male Milotic because I want the longer hair.

Unredemption

Usually, the nature matters more to me. I usually end up with an equal mix of genders on my team though, haven't had an all-male or all-female playthrough so far.

I just catch whatever I find, though in White 2 I got an all female team. I didn't do it intentionally(Except Emboar and Bisharp, who I wanted females of) but it was kind of funny. Other than that my teams are random.

Silicone

Poison Moth
lol, all my water, grass, poison pokemon are females, my fire, electric, ground, flying ones male.

I guess it depends on type for me :p

Honah

breedin' n grindin'
I don't care about gender, except when grabbing DW pokemons I want females, because I know I'm only going to get one with average stats I will want it to be able to at least pass its ability down if I want to breed something usable with that ability. Right now I'm working on a pokemon with Rivalry, and since there's sorta a bias for males, I want this one to be male.

Yes I think that means that I have a gender preference. In these cases. But I can't think of other ways that I pay attention to it.

Masterofknees

If it's for my main team I only catch male Pokémon. It comes more from the fact that I like the male symbol more, and I have a terrible OCD that if my Pokémon aren't all of the same gender I go nuts.

Gender matters to me. If it's an Eeveelution, then I will try my best to get a female Eevee excluding one for Umbreon. If the Pokemon looks feminine to me, I'll catch/breed a female one.

Cheez Puf

Just lurking.
I could care less, really; unless the gender differences are really noticeable. Even then, I just catch whichever one I encounter first, usually.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
This thread isn't sexist, but if one catches Pokemon belonging exclusively to his/her gender, there might be some misogny or misandry going on; I don't particularly like either of them.

However, I did prefer male Pokemon for the longest time since there were no repercussions for teaching them TMs; they could breed the moves onto the young whereas the females could not. I used females exclusively for breeding the appropriate natures. I don't necessarily do this anymore.

As a side note, to the somewhat strange instinctive impulse to feel comfortable catching a Pokemon who expresses "noticeable gender norms" (which are reflected by human norms), I must say I think that's understandable, but silly. I love female Machamps, male Gardevoirs and Gothitelles, and for the love of rain try to abstain from so strongly reflecting your ideas of human female qualities onto Eeveelutions (who are vulpine/feline [naturally neotenous creatures] in appearance and also are 87.5% male).

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Your first mistake was in the title.

Answer, though: No. Why would I do that? That's stupid.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Haha I when I was younger I wanted all girl Pokemon on my team, unless it was male only. But now it doesn't matter to me, though whenever I get a female starter Pokemon, fossil or something else that is mostly male I feel a bit of elation. xD

Actually it bugs me now if I catch one gender. I normally like to have 3 males and 3 females on my team. xDD Though there is a Pokemon I think/wished was female. Which was my Swoobat. I always call him a girl by accident. ._.;

Last edited: