• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
when I get starters, I soft reset till I get a female because I like my pokemon on my team mostly female

zozo

SLIMED!
Um... I only go for certain genders if it's going to affect breeding. So, if I want to pass down moves, I'll go for a male. With starters, I'll usually SR for a female so that I'll be able to make better Pokemon of that species more easily without having to use a Ditto. But I don't inherently prefer one gender over another.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I only have gender preferences when it comes to certain branched evolutions. I always like male vileplume and huntails, and female bellossoms and gorebyss. I also like it a lot when I get a female starter (usually through breeding, I don't remember if I've ever gotten a female right off the bat) or eevee. Rare males (like clefairy or vulpix) aren't as valuable.

the only pokemon that gender absolutly matters to me is abra kadabra alazkazam must be male the female with a mustache just doesnt appeal to me.

PrinceGray

Anti-Hero of Serebii
For my main storyline team, I try to make sure all of them are male. If I'm trying to do something with Attract or breeding purposes, then obviously I'll get a female pokemon. If I'm just trying to fill up the National Dex, then I don't care.

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
I tend to have a preference for most of my team being male, unless it's something I'd prefer to have female. Since I usually tend to nickname what I battle with, it's sort of important to me. So the answer for me is no.

...That being said, I do have some odd female Pokemon, like Steelix and Magcargo... And there's also those odd ones that most would prefer female for some reason, like Mawile and Mienshao, that I happen to prefer having male ones of. Then there's those that are a mixed bag- I have both male and female Vaporeon, for example.

Basically I'm saying, it depends. Silly gender-picky me.

Raiok

So if you're a male and you get a female Torchic for example, would that annoy you to eventually have a female Blaziken?

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
The gender of the pokemon doesn't matter to me usually, accept for Pokemon such as Mr Mime....mine HAS to be male.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Yes. I literally reset my SoulSilver (and forced my sister to reset her HeartGold) because I didn't want to have a Wobbuffet with LIPSTICK staring at me everytime I used the Pokédex.

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
I generally only care if I had a specific name in mind for the Pokemon I'm about to catch. The only exception to that is when dealing with Pokemon like Misdreavus, Gardevoir, Machamp, and so on. Understandably, it can be weird having a Pokemon that's gender seems so defined being contradictory of it's appearance. Though I'd never go as far as resetting/altering anyone's saves over it, even my own.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
I prefer to have pokemon with genders that fit them i.e. Gardevoir being female, Machamp being male, but it doesn't really matter much otherwise.

Haunter ゴースト

It never used to, however since Platinum it does matter now.

I like to imagine my Team in the Anime and how they would act, what gender i can picture them as. If i view them as a male or female depending on the way they act, i'll catch the male/female version.

Weird, so what?

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I never really notice what genders I use during the main story. It only matters if their stats, or abilities, determine how I use them.

ToeyJoey

The Count

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Yeah, before they changed the everstone trick, I only wanted female pokemon. I can deal with male sometimes, though.

If it's a Pokemon with a feminine appearance, I want it to be Female. If it has a masculine appearance, I want it to be Male. If it's neutral, it doesn't matter to me. I'll be picky about it's Nature before it's Gender, though. So if I find a Modest Female Abra, I'll take it before a Quirky Male Abra.

The gender of the pokemon doesn't matter to me usually, accept for Pokemon such as Mr Mime....mine HAS to be male.

I heard the Japanese name doesn't imply gender, but when I catch my Mr. Mime and it's female, I just name it Mrs. Mime.

Last edited:

WhiteSand

Cant handle my swag.
Doesn't matter to me. It only affects to what nickname I give to a pokémon.