• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does animal abuse need so much attention?

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Money to fund the War on terror : Over 1 Trillion Goddam Dollars, I wish I had at least 1% of this.
Money to fund animal organizations: Way less.

Last edited:

Aquanova

I have seen those commercials and they do make me pretty upset, why do those animals have to be hurt, and starved to death, how hard is it to just feed a dog or cat and care for it, i think there should be more than a fine to discourge animal abuse. Rapists and child abuses should get jail time and they deserve it, but i think so should someone who knowingly chose to beat the crap out of a little dog or cat, and starved them half to death, and i think they should have a record against them for doing that, so they will be unable to get another pet. I mean people who commit other violent crimes have a criminal record, animal abusers should too. Animals, Children, and Woman are equally as undeserving for abuse, no person or living creature deserves abuse. Period.

I was quite angry when Michael Vick was released early and then went on to play football for the PHiledelphia Eagles, to me thats messages seems kind of like a reward for running his dogfighting operation, instead of a punnishment, he should be kicked out of the NFL, the dogs didnt deserve that. I was equally upset at what Chris Brown did to Rihanna, and horrified. These are just two very high profile, highly publicised cases of abuse. The point being that abuse in any form is wrong.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
Thanks for missing the point.

I have a dog, thank you very much.

When the hell did I say all animals are dumb? I said they're not as smart as humans. That doesn't mean they can't be smart.

ok then i bet you really care for your dog and would not want anything to hurt it.

but the thing is we dont know and we might never know if they are or are not as smart.

natie

Mr. F
ok then i bet you really care for your dog and would not want anything to hurt it.

but the thing is we dont know and we might never know if they are or are not as smart.
They are smart.

You just don't get it, do you?

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Troops in Iraq? **** 'em. They chose to go there; no animal chose to be abused.

Have you ever been in a disgusting desert, sleeping in ditches, not seeing your loved ones or your home for years, constantly worrying about getting your eyeball shot out and bleeding to death every single day?

For some reason, I really, really doubt it.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
It may be over now, but I've never seen a commercial asking for donations to help the troops in Iraq.

The War in Iraq is funded by our Tax Dollars. We're already " donating " to the war effort. There are also many government funded programs for the help and assistance of abused women and children. We're not seeing commercials asking for donations to them because they're already covered. There might be a few local chapters that aren't but largely they are. That includes Foster Care for abused children, emergency and permanent housing for women and their children, and government run programs to ensure both mother and child get food, medical care, therapy, and financial assistance.

Organizations like the ASPCA are not paid for by the Government and are non-profit organizations. This means that their only source of income to pay for renting facilities, paying employees, and covering treatments comes from donations made by the public.

So why doesn't the government pay for the upkeep of facilities for animals? They do, but they put their money into local Animal Control rather then the no-kill shelters that we commonly see on TV. Animal Control works quite differently. They go and round up both stray and unwanted animals and put them down if they're not adopted out in a certain time frame.

A more interesting question to ask is why we don't see more commercials for local Animal Control asking people to come in and adopt? I didn't even know where the Animal Control facility was in my neighborhood until the dog I owned as a child got loose and was picked up. The place was filled to capacity with animals but it was fairly empty far as visitors go because it was in such a remote location.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ

Damn straight. Trying to hurt my dog is one of those few things that would make me want to intentionally hurt someone. Not sure what this has to do with how animals could be more intelligent than us.

Ultimately, yes. We can look at how they act, we can look at their interactions between others of their species, we can look at their tactics of getting food (like chimps fashioning different tools for getting different foods, or the dizzying variety of ways individual Portia spiders develop to catch and eat other spiders), and all sorts of other things that would indicate how intelligent a species is, but there's always that chance, however incredibly negligible it is, that some species are smarter than humans, and live rather more... primitively, I guess the word would be, only due to their lack of opposable thumbs and ability to communicate much better than grunts or roars or something. But honestly, it's incredibly unlikely, from what we've seen, as animals as smart as humans could probably exhibit some other sort of behaviour to let us know that they're abnormally smart, despite the lack of thumbs and communication. And while individual animals have exhibited downright terrifying levels of intelligence (****ing Mud Creek Grizzly), and even entire species have shown incredible amounts of organization, we have not yet seen any reason to believe that anything on this planet is as smart, or at least as developed, as humans.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I think there should be more laws in place. Humans are animals. You kill a human, you go to jail til you die. If you abuse and kill a dog, you don't go to jail til you die. It's not fair, we are all animals, treat animals like we treat ourselves.

and charizardreams it's not like your gonna put a tiger in jail aswell if it kills someon? >.<

A Tiger wouldn't think they'd done something wrong. They wouldn't know. Whereas a if a group of people killed a tiger for know reason, they'd know.
No, because that's its natural instinct.

Exactly, it's natural instinct. It's not like a shark thinks, "Oh look here's a stupid human, I should kill it".

I hold animals at the same level of children. They're both completely innocent creatures that, in most cases, are entirely dependant on us and if we turn around and abuse and torment them, then that's one of the sickest things imaginable.
I agree. Both Children and Animals are innocent. If somebody saw a child being physically abused, they'd help the child? Why not the animal?
But Children are slightly more important, but I'm only saying that because they're part of my species. It really depends who's in more danger/need.

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
It's only a matter of time before an animal abuser kills someone.
And what made you jump to that conclusion?

Sure, it's possible, but whether it happens or not doesn't have anything to do with the matter at hand.

Dark Eevee

And what made you jump to that conclusion?

Sure, it's possible, but whether it happens or not doesn't have anything to do with the matter at hand.

Animal abusers need to be stopped before they kill or abuse a human being.
An animal is just their first victim.
So animal animal abuse does need all the attention, if not more.

natie

Mr. F
People abuse animals because they're (before you ask: both the people and the animals) too weak to take on humans.

They aren't necessarily going to start killing humans.

I have always put animals above humans because of many reasons. Humans are a disgusting species, we dump are waste into the ocean, we fire dangerous gasses into the atmosphere, and we consume everything around us just so us humans can be more lazy. But when a human thinks they are above animals is just makes humans even worse. Animals were created to live alongside us, not to live against us. I am tired of people laughing everytime they tell a story of them putting a cat in the microwave, i am tired of seeing kids through rocks at dogs and cats, i am tired of people making there dogs look terrifying and training them to fight just so humans can look cool or make money. Animal abuse defiantly needs more attention, the commercials are sad for a reason.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I have always put animals above humans because of many reasons. Humans are a disgusting species, we dump are waste into the ocean, we fire dangerous gasses into the atmosphere, and we consume everything around us just so us humans can be more lazy. But when a human thinks they are above animals is just makes humans even worse. Animals were created to live alongside us, not to live against us. I am tired of people laughing everytime they tell a story of them putting a cat in the microwave, i am tired of seeing kids through rocks at dogs and cats, i am tired of people making there dogs look terrifying and training them to fight just so humans can look cool or make money. Animal abuse defiantly needs more attention, the commercials are sad for a reason.

True.

But humans are also the only animals who have been shown to be willing and capable to care for other species of animals even though it may not directly benefit them. You paint a sad, horrifying picture of humans, but I really don't think we're all that bad. We have so much beautiful potential, and it doesn't come out that often, it seems, but the desire of many humans to help neglected and abused animals has to come from somewhere. After all, someone has to make those commercials and run the organizations that aid these animals, sometimes without substantial or any pay.

But the last statement of your post is absolutely correct.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
No, you don't.

yes i do, i was telling someone that we dont know if they are or are not, so you cant say that they arnt, i think all my pets are extremly smart