• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does animal abuse need so much attention?

Darkrai's master

Cheez-It Hunter 0.o
Okay, so I know animal abuse is wrong and all, but I've seen so many commercials about it that I'm sick of it. There are so many things that are just as, if not more, important. An example of this would be the war in Iraq. It may be over now, but I've never seen a commercial asking for donations to help the troops in Iraq. I know that they probobly got their money from the government, or something, but there are so many other important that needs morre attention than saving a cat from getting beaten, which many kids and women go through everyday.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
i think it dose because maybe then something will happen and it could stop.... maybe....
but the only thing i dont like about ehm is how they make me feel.... sad :(
but i like them they are doing more instead for a dumb car commerical

i've definitely seen more "support our troops" bumper stickers than ones that say "support our animals"

although i'll agree that domestic abuse does not seem to be taken as seriously as it should be, that's not the fault of how much airtime animal abuse gets

the focus should be on promoting other causes more instead of promoting one cause less

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Okay, so I know animal abuse is wrong and all, but I've seen so many commercials about it that I'm sick of it. There are so many things that are just as, if not more, important. An example of this would be the war in Iraq. It may be over now, but I've never seen a commercial asking for donations to help the troops in Iraq. I know that they probobly got their money from the government, or something, but there are so many other important that needs morre attention than saving a cat from getting beaten, which many kids and women go through everyday.

Yes, it absolutely does. Many people don't realize how horrible abusing an animal is, and they feel that if they own the animal they can treat it however they wish, and it's not only important to try to shatter that view but remind others that animals suffer when they're abused like people do, and to not let others' abuse of animals go ignored.

Those commercials aren't preventing aid or airtime for what you feel are more important causes, and if anything, not enough attention is given to animal cruelty.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
Yes, it absolutely does. Many people don't realize how horrible abusing an animal is, and they feel that if they own the animal they can treat it however they wish, and it's not only important to try to shatter that view but remind others that animals suffer when they're abused like people do, and to not let others' abuse of animals go ignored.

Those commercials aren't preventing aid or airtime for what you feel are more important causes, and if anything, not enough attention is given to animal cruelty.

see now that wat im trying to say, i see no right in the owners o do such a thing, and that saying gose for child abue to the panets feel they have he right to treat their kids like that when they dont.
i feel so bad for grey hounds when they are racing dogs, its sad

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
I can't say that I've seen that many ads about stopping animal cruelty but that's because I don't watch much (and I mean only a tiny bit) of stuff on stations where I would see ads about that.

Now I think the level of ads you see is fine. But a better question would be "Why is there so much?" I would say is it is becuase people are bad and we need to be constantly urged to what is right or we will slip into lawlessness.

Animal Abuse is pretty much man slaughter. If you killed another human, you'd go to jail for a long time, but if you kill an animal what do they do? Give you a fine and say, "Don't worry, it hopefully won't happen again". It's the same thing, we are animals. I realise other issues need to be addressed, but stopping ads that help prevent animal abuse is not the answer. Just because a creature isn't like us or isn't as smart as us doesn't mean we can go out and hurt it think, "Ah well it's not human it doesn't matter". It's an issue that needs to be stopped just as much as child abuse or war.

7 tyranitars

actualy there should be a few good organistation who do something about who:

1 aren't corrupt - believe it or not 50% of the money is usualy going to the people who work for that organisation, there are not much organisations who don't abuse the money given
2 makes sure the money gets there

3 makes sure the money is spend wisely

it is horible that there is animal cruelty it must be stopped but those organisations are doing it the wrong way in my opinion, they are litterly competing for money with eachother!!

and charizardreams it's not like your gonna put a tiger in jail aswell if it kills someon? >.<

TheSwram!

You've been bitten
More animals get killed by man either through habitat destruction or your basic slaughter house, than man gets killed by man so I'd put a priority on the species that is closer to extinction than the one that is nowhere close to extinction. 6+ billion humans does not show our species in any real trouble.

7 tyranitars

don't get me wrong, the penalties are low for killing an animal and should be higher, but depending on the situation, you can be alowed to kill it for your own/or someon else there safety, however if you kill without reason then you should just go to prison for a few years.. depending on the species of animal

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Man you know what commercials I'm sick, Car Insurance, drugs & medicare, that's all we get in America, if you see our tv you'd figure out 2 things, we all get into a lot of car accidents, and we all have heart, cholestorol, bladder, heart burn, headache, constepation, health problems.

As far as animals go, awareness is good, but it be even better if people actually participated and did stuff. As 7 tyranitars said, help organizations be it to help animals, find the cure for cancer, or help the starving kids in that's right AFRICA, these organizations do not use the money wisely (if at all) nor do any of them have the guts to take on the corruption stopping them or within their own organizations.
Also when an animal like a dog or a bear attacks a human even if they don't kill that person, park ranger or who ever will find the animal that caused the attack and put it down that's real fair isn't it, when a woman is raped or some guy gets beaten up, the criminals only get few years in jail then released out with a useless parol, while the animal is put down.

Last edited:

Kojinka

An Inside Joke
Attention doesn't really hurt, but I really hate the guilt approach these organizations use in attempt to raise awareness. Those commercials don't make me want to give them money at all. They just make me want to actually adopt an animal at the local humane society.

natie

Mr. F
and charizardreams it's not like your gonna put a tiger in jail aswell if it kills someon? >.<
No, because that's its natural instinct.

Yet some people believe that all animals that kill a human, should be killed.

I hate all commercials trying to 'prevent' something, it's not like they any noticeable effect whatsoever. In fact, I just hate all commercials (hence I don't watch TV anymore), but I hate those most.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
I value the lives of animals over human life, because humanity just slaughters thousand of animals for themselves. Humanity is a poisen killing the earth

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
I value the lives of animals over human life, because humanity just slaughters thousand of animals for themselves. Humanity is a poisen killing the earth

revolvingscott

Actually, no, Animal Abuse is more deserving than troops in Iraq. Why? Animal abuse is, quite possibly, the most disgusting thing a human being could do. An animal is far too innocent and terrified to be able to defend itself and it can't cry out for help.

I hold animals at the same level of children. They're both completely innocent creatures that, in most cases, are entirely dependant on us and if we turn around and abuse and torment them, then that's one of the sickest things imaginable.

Troops in Iraq? **** 'em. They chose to go there; no animal chose to be abused.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
Actually, no, Animal Abuse is more deserving than troops in Iraq. Why? Animal abuse is, quite possibly, the most disgusting thing a human being could do. An animal is far too innocent and terrified to be able to defend itself and it can't cry out for help.
Most disgusting? What about rape, murder, mutilation, chemical warfare, nuclear warfare? I would say that those are more disgusting, the last two becuase of the effects on the people they are used on.

I hold animals at the same level of children. They're both completely innocent creatures that, in most cases, are entirely dependant on us and if we turn around and abuse and torment them, then that's one of the sickest things imaginable.
Since you put animals at the level of children, wouldn't child abuse be higher considering that children have the capacity for so much more intelligence than animals?

Troops in Iraq? **** 'em. They chose to go there; no animal chose to be abused.
And women who are raped chose to be raped? Children that have an abusive parent chose to be abused?

revolvingscott

Since you put animals at the level of children, wouldn't child abuse be higher considering that children have the capacity for so much more intelligence than animals?
No. Intelligence doesn't come into it.

And women who are raped chose to be raped? Children that have an abusive parent chose to be abused?
No. No. Please don't act like I don't care about them. I was the victim of an abusive father and I didn't choose that.
Troops signed up to go to Iraq, hence they chose to go.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
No. Intelligence doesn't come into it.
Really, now? Then why do we have higher punishment for murder of humans than when we kill animals? There is even legally sanctioned killing of animals! There is a difference and it is clear to see. We are far more important than animals and part of the reason is our capacity for intelligence.

No. No. Please don't act like I don't care about them. I was the victim of an abusive father and I didn't choose that.
Troops signed up to go to Iraq, hence they chose to go.
I give you my sympathy. I have never been abused nor want to.

I never said that you don't care, but what you said implies that other people who are abused chose to be abused.