• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone besides me really not care?

Elrohir

Beginning Trainer
Satoshi said:
Don't spill the "their differences make them unique!" crap on me, how the Japanese have a made-up language on signs/etc. and American version have absolutely no language on signs/etc. (plus it's stupidity of calling food sandwiches/eclairs/spaghetti when it's OBVIOUSLY onigiri/ramen/noodles and the fake looking sandwiches) make them unique, I'll never know...
yeah, but it's still really funny... I mean how dumb do they think kids are?

Satoshi said:
That why having uncut/bilingual DVDs would solve the problem, we get an uncut dub version and the original version all in one. Everyone's happy. But too bad 4Kids didn't do it.
Well PUSA might do it. And blue ray DVDs are comming out soon. Maybe that'll open the door to bilingual DVDs.

SamsGFX

<< May Is Sexci!
PokeMaster Justin said:
That they alter the anime and change things? I'm pretty sure changing a penny from a yen piece really got people *****ing around here...as well as when they erased all the Kenji...I don't understand what is so horrible about this? I love going to Dogasu's website and reading about him complaign about every single change. The orignal music isn't kept? so what.

I personally think that Pokemon was lucky to have found 4Kids as they did a really great job in their run producing and running the show. More so in the first season where it really seemed liked they cared about the show more. I dunno I just really find all the complaigning around here meritless and useless.

It could be far far far worse. At least we have (had) an excellent voice cast as well...somethings you really just don't know what you have till their gone.

I'll miss 4Kids.

You wanna see a horrible dub please look at Cardcaptors...my god that sucked.

Even Sailor Moon wasn't bad...sure they chopped it to hell but I believe both verisons are different and unique for the target audience. I love when you guys say Kenji doesn't need to be changed, but I personally like reading things in English on the screen and I believe when a series gets dubbed that it should do everything that it can to localize to the country be it America, Mexico, Italy what have you.

/rant over.
The same happened with the Naruto DUB on Jetix, all the bloody bits were left out, like when Iruka gets the massive star is his back, and when the Closet Pervert [as he's known as in later episodes lmao] sees Naruto's 'Sexy Jutsu', in the Japanese version, blood pours from his nose, in the English/American version, it doesn't

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Yamato-san said:
yes, but you were implying how the Pokemon world should have its own, distinct culture for universal distribution.

Did I say that? *looks at post* I didn't say that, or at least I didn't mean to. What I meant was that the people in pokemon are supposed to be ordinary people, and ordinary in Japan is not ordinary in North America, so it is changed to what Americans find "ordinary".

Rex Kamex

PokeMaster Justin said:
That's not the point. Anime is suppose to be enjoyed by all so there really shouldn't be text where ONLY japanese people can read it. I don't mind for the references at all...believe you me I like some references. The text thing I'm all for painting over though.

Like Satoshi said, it doesn't help that they're painting over text with a picture or nothing. At least in if it's written in Japanese somebody can read it. Besides, when Pokemon was originally made, it wouldn't have been surprising that there have been Japanese references or Japanese writing, and it really shouldn't be surprising now. (AG doesn't have that many Japanese references anymore, and I kind of miss that.) Of course, I wouldn't mind if 4Kids just changed the Japanese writing to English.

octoboy said:
Did I say that? *looks at post* I didn't say that, or at least I didn't mean to. What I meant was that the people in pokemon are supposed to be ordinary people, and ordinary in Japan is not ordinary in North America, so it is changed to what Americans find "ordinary".

It isn't ordinary when there are signs with no writing, a made-up language, or a picture (well, unless it's like a mens' and womens' bathroom or something).

Satoshi said:
Maybe to watch it in the language we could understand fully? Seriously, for me, knowing a little Japanese and watching the original untranslated isn't going to cut it for me (enjoyable it may be), that's what I felt about the first movie and Chronicles. There are subbed versions laying around on the internet, but I'd rather support the anime officially rather than pirate off the internet for limited fansubs. That and pausing to make sure if you read the subtitles right can get annoying and tedious.

The translations of the regular dub episodes are top-notch, which is why I buy the DVDs. But the edits are what makes it annoying when watching it (plus some of the mediocre voice acting I find from time to time in recent episodes). Don't spill the "their differences make them unique!" crap on me, how the Japanese have a made-up language on signs/etc. and American version have absolutely no language on signs/etc. (plus it's stupidity of calling food sandwiches/eclairs/spaghetti when it's OBVIOUSLY onigiri/ramen/noodles and the fake looking sandwiches) make them unique, I'll never know...

That why having uncut/bilingual DVDs would solve the problem, we get an uncut dub version and the original version all in one. Everyone's happy. But too bad 4Kids didn't do it.

Which is one of the main reasons why a lot of people were so happy that 4Kids wasn't dubbing Pokemon anymore.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
MJC CartoGuy said:
It isn't ordinary when there are signs with no writing, a made-up language, or a picture (well, unless it's like a mens' and womens' bathroom or something).
I was actually talking about the masking onigiri with submarine sandwich thing. I don't know why the dubbers remove the writing on the signs. Maybe they're just lazy. I think it is real bizzare that they make made up language. I can't explain that at all.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
octoboy said:
I was actually talking about the masking onigiri with submarine sandwich thing. I don't know why the dubbers remove the writing on the signs. Maybe they're just lazy. I think it is real bizzare that they make made up language. I can't explain that at all.
The sandwich thing was rather lame for them to do, both in thought and in execution.

First, they've shown rice balls many times before in the show. It wouldn't have made much of a difference to just leave it be, maybe call it something different at most.

Second, the sandwich itelf didn't even look convicing; it was only a still image moved around, so it didn't look remotely realistic.

Third, why a sandwich? The napkin it was in was obviously too small for it, but more annoying is that sandwiches don't roll. Never have, never will. It's the same as Morrison's sub. A sandwich, besides not even being round, would just fall apart if it fell. If they just had to replace the rice ball, they could have at least used something more realistic for the situation, like an apple (or watermelon in Morrison's case), but a sandwich rolling down a hill is just weird.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
octoboy said:
I don't know why the dubbers remove the writing on the signs. Maybe they're just lazy.
Many of us think that the signs with no writing have something to do with Al Kahn's "children nowadays don't read" comment that he made in an interview.

As for the made-up language, I guess it was made so that Pokemon could have an "in-world language" or something. Most people think it was done so that 4KIDS wouldn't have to erase text anymore, but 4KIDS erases it anyway, which makes no sense at all.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I think this thread brings up the two extremes-those who loathe the Pokemon dub for the minor edits and music changes and those who worship it and think everything about it is perfect. I think I should start a happy medium group-those who think music changes and pointless edits are irritating but the dub has still fared far far better then many childrens animes in the US (and given TR better jokes from what I've heard)

I'm actually already in the medium. I just like to argue when people make such a big deal over something so tedious. You can play the same card to me, toche.

Heracross

Custom User Title
having japanese lyrics will totally throw off the flow of the show.
Ok it ORIGINATED from there...it's not the same over here.
lyrical things...that doesn't have a place in the dubbed version of Pokemon.
EXACTLY....go watch the Japanese version if you want to hear Japanese music and what not...this is the American version.
Nor should kids have to be educated in other cultures as well.
I never said I was in love with 4Kids but I just don't think that the series should basically be a mirrored Japanese version over here...that's not what sells.
Seriously though Japanese Pokemon fans please stay out
I suppose I'm a purist just to spit the purist of sorts
Doesn't seem much like a 'happy medium' to me.

Heracross said:
Doesn't seem much like a 'happy medium' to me.

The exact same can be argued with you.

Heracross

Custom User Title
lol You're really desperate for ammunition aren't you? Please do explain how the exact same thing can be argued with me. Unlike yourself, I've never claimed to be in the middle, so you can't disprove what I haven't said.

Better luck next time. :)

I will get you one day Heracross, I will get you.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
PokeMaster Justin said:
What the hell is wrong with you?! [IMG139]http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sally/lol.gif[/IMG139]

EDIT: I think I should add more to this post so that it isn't spam. Is this really that big of a deal that everybody needs to start trying to "get" each other?

Last edited:

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
PokeMaster Justin said:
XD! Heracross is the like least abrasive member in this section. Its kind of sad though that this has gotten to the point that dub fans and Jap fans truly despise each other

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
intergalactic platypus said:
I think I should start a happy medium group-those who think music changes and pointless edits are irritating but the dub has still fared far far better then many childrens animes in the US

actually, the general opinion is that Pokemon is (was) 4kids's best anime dub and is easily leagues above all of 4kids's other licenses. However, that doesn't change the fact that 4kids has been letting it fall to s*** over the years, and with little reason at that (we know damn well they have the rights to several of that music... but instead of using it, they thought it'd be nice if Pokemon had the same, crappy audio that their other shows have. Don't get me started on how several of these edits are just plain unnecessary... well, some necessary if you share Khan's screwed philosophy on child literacy). Really, something that was supposedly treated with extreme care early on was well on its way to being treated just as crappily as any other foreign product those bas****s touch, just another way to make another quick and easy buck in their eyes (though, oddly enough, they stopped production of those uncut Yu-gi-oh! and Shaman King DVDs, even in spite of the fact that they had very promising sales).

Rex Kamex

Shift said:
The sandwich thing was rather lame for them to do, both in thought and in execution.

First, they've shown rice balls many times before in the show. It wouldn't have made much of a difference to just leave it be, maybe call it something different at most.

True, the rice ball was called a doughnut one time, and, compared to an onion and a sandwich, it does look like a hole-less doughnut, sort of.

Second, the sandwich itelf didn't even look convicing; it was only a still image moved around, so it didn't look remotely realistic.

Third, why a sandwich? The napkin it was in was obviously too small for it, but more annoying is that sandwiches don't roll. Never have, never will. It's the same as Morrison's sub. A sandwich, besides not even being round, would just fall apart if it fell. If they just had to replace the rice ball, they could have at least used something more realistic for the situation, like an apple (or watermelon in Morrison's case), but a sandwich rolling down a hill is just weird.

And logically, it would be easier to do that, or just stick with the rice ball, than to just paint it over with a sandwich.

intergalactic platypus said:
XD! Heracross is the like least abrasive member in this section. Its kind of sad though that this has gotten to the point that dub fans and Jap fans truly despise each other

Sad, but not surprising, particularly in a thread like this.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
How come 4kids turn the pokeball print on the badge case to a rectangle? I don't see anything wrong with the pokeball print.