• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone else feel the starter choices are very random?

GMax Helios

I haven’t come to a conclusion on why, but I can’t really see a trio with these 3. Perhaps it’s cause they have nothing in common, perhaps it’s strange 2 of them have a singular type, it’s very complicated. I’m not mad though, Samurott is my favorite water starter. Just confused.

Sulfurian

I haven’t come to a conclusion on why, but I can’t really see a trio with these 3. Perhaps it’s cause they have nothing in common, perhaps it’s strange 2 of them have a singular type, it’s very complicated. I’m not mad though, Samurott is my favorite water starter. Just confused.
I think because at least Samurott is a samurai, decidueye is an archer, which fits ancient Japan. Not sure about cyndaquil

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I think I can probably explain: All 3 final evos of the three mons we have have some sort of connection or reference to Feudal Japan which is ofc what Legends Arceus is based on. For one, Decidueye is the archer and in Feudal Japan they got plenty of them. For two, Samurott is based on a samurai which you can figure out easily from there. And for three, Typhlosion's based on a weasel which in Japan, the latter has many depictions and connections to mythology. Specifically as yokai. And I guess also based on Japan's physical geography where it's heavily mountainous and volcanic which Typhlosion basically has connections to volcanoes due to its Fire typing.

Dared3v0

Just have fun
It does seem random but that's ok because based on the choices that means the other starters from those regions should be usable

-Vulpix-

Cynder Kiryah
One thing I am hoping for is to see Ninetales, Espeon and Houndoom in the game would say Lucario but it is in it already.
Kind of wonder how many other generations of Pokemon will be in it as well since Rowlet is a gen 7 and Oshawott a gen 5.
If all 8 can be in think Corviknight would fit in with it as well and maybe Zoroark.
Starter wise might pick either Oshawott or Cyndaquil.

GMax Helios

I like it because they're all underrated starters from starter trios that are also considered underrated. Johto is getting some love man! Where are all my Johto fans at!
Aren’t Typhlosion and Decidueye fan favorites? And I’m talking starters overall, not just of their respective trios.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Aren’t Typhlosion and Decidueye fan favorites? And I’m talking starters overall, not just of their respective trios.
I would like to say that but GameFreak sure doesn't treat them like their fan favorites. Hell, the most well-known Typhlosion in the Pokemon series isn't even from the anime. It's from the manga, Pokemon Adventures. You know how many times Typhlosion appeared in the anime? Only two. One was a forgettable cameo in the Hoenn series, the other was his first major debut in a movie special that didn't release in the west until Gen 3. Since then, GameFreak and the Pokemon Company rarely show any love to Typhlosion. Which is funny because I always thought the Typhlosion line was the most popular oh the Johto starter lines and yet, you see the Feraligatr and Meganium line getting more love from the Pokemon Company. Weird don't you think?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Since this is a feudal era of Sinnoh the starters fit.

The era states that people are just starting to set up shop and come develop Sinnoh. So the Professor himself has come from another region and has brought pokemon from his travels.

On a aesthetic level you have Decidueye the Edo Archer, Samurott the Feudal Samurai and Typhlosin fitting in with Japanese volcano imagery, Oni, Chinese Guardians and Shinto Yokai.

On a cultural level you have a place that has various regions coming to develop a land and with it bringing their cultures. Although from Alola/Hawaii, Decidueye has a english vibe to him, Samurott Japanese and in some aspects Typhlosion as Chinese. Much like how Gen 5 had their starters represent cultural origins.

On a mechanic level, specifically for Typhlosion, Emboar would make it two gen 5 starters, Blaziken would cause the game to have 2 fire/fighting starters and the rest don't quite fit into the time or region. With Charizard just having the focus in SwSh.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Cyndaquil feels a little random, but Oshawott & Rowlet make sense since their final evolutions are based on warriors you could probably find in feudal Japan

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Cyndaquil feels a little random, but Oshawott & Rowlet make sense since their final evolutions are based on warriors you could probably find in feudal Japan
Like I said in a previous comment, Cyndaquil is probably chosen due to Typhlosion having some Japanese mythological connections where it’s based on a weasel and weasels are depicted as Yokais and at an extent can be based on Japan’s physical geography where it’s volcanic and mountainous.

Kataphrut

Yeah, I like that they went with a mix- at least it's not Charmander again.

I didn't think of the historical Japanese connection with their three final forms, that's pretty cool.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Honestly I'm happy with all three starters! I've loved Oshawott and Rowlet from the very beginning and only recently started appreciating Cyndaquil.

G-SANtos

You guys are missing the point. The designs are all based on Ainu culture. And that also goes in the Starter choice.
As noted by Japanese fans on Twitter, the Starters seem to have been chosen because each one represents something important to Ainu myths.

Rowlett: Owl. Cikap-kamuy.
Cyndaquil: Volcano.
Oshawott: Otter. Otters are messengers between humans and the gods. An otter also had a role in the creation of humans.

Kaihatsu, who has knowledge of Ainu goes into more details and includes references to other Japanese non-Ainu stuff, but Japanese fans seem to be focusing exclusively on the Ainu angle.

Since this is a feudal era of Sinnoh the starters fit.
It's not feudal though.

It's late Taishō to early Showa. The Taishō era ended on December 25, 1926, with Emperor Taishō's death. And according to franchise lore, Professor Nishinimori (Westwood) invented Poké Balls in 1925, so it fits the time frame. Nishinomori is also regarded as the "father of Pokémonology" in Japan (yes, Japan. Details about Nishinomori are given in a book from Gen 1, when Pokémon was still an alternate history Earth instead of the fantasy world it was retconned into).
The Professor might be Nishinomori, or maybe Nishinomori II, since Nishinomori I was retiring due to age when he discovered Pokémon could shrink. The anime says Nishinomori's lineage goes until Nishinomori V, at least.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
I think it is not random at all.
A lot of foreign people (and even Japanese themselves) not knowing much about the settlement in Hokkaido and influence. (it is not even feudal Japan!)

Cyndaquil -> from Johto
Oshawatt -> Unova since the Hokkaido featured a lot of American infleuence (like Hokkaido University, Some routes of Hakodate which similar to San Francisco)
Rowlet -> Alola, Hawaii, I think it is the port before American travel to Japan.

so I think it is logical here.

However, The design for samurott might only a coincidences, since it is not native to any of Johto,kanto, Hoen or Sinoh (as well as grenninja).

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I feel that "Treecko" might have been a better option than Rowlet, because Sceptile is a pure Grass type (not considering the Mega), so matches the other two Starters, whose final forms are also pure types. Also,
- Typhlosion sort of signifies the Sumo aspect.
- Samurott obviously signifies the Samurai aspect.
- And while Decidueye signifies the Archer aspect, but Sceptile fits better with the Ninja aspect.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'd rather Litten, Oshawott and Chespin since they are all from regions outside PokéJapan.

REALLY surprised they aren't using Greninja.

Either way, still deciding whether I'm going for Oshawott or Rowlett. Since Piplup is here, I'm tempted because if for reason Torchic is avaliable I can get all the bird-looking starters lol

Also, reading it's meant to be Taisho-era Japan is interesting because that period got a lot more exposure thanks to Demon Slayer (not saying there's a relation though).

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I guess the only other combinations working would be Snivy, Torchic and Froakie.

Rowlett is my 2nd favorite starter, Oshawott 3rd. Totodile is 1st So seeing Cyndaquil we will Also get the croc.
Would nice if we get some new forms for Gen 2, 5 and 7 Starters. I guess Gen 6 will be the odd ones out (besides Ash-Greninja) but all other Starters having something would be neat.