• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone else miss the old cel animation?

Ampris

Slip slidin'
I know that the computer generated animation they've been using since late Johto is much smoother, cleaner, and generally held to be far superior to the original way of doing it, but I for one really liked the look it gave the anime. It added a certain amount of character to the show, made it seem more real. The colors were vibrant, and expressions that now seem kind of forced were easier and more humorous; the CG episodes feel distant and awkward sometimes, even though they look great. Maybe it's just me, rewatching old episodes I thought were animated wonderfully and reminiscing, but what do you think about the differences between animating styles? Is the old way missed at all?

GreenApple

Cherish the Day
The animation now looks far different and better in comparison to that at the very beginning of the Pokemon saga. And yes, I'd have to agree that it does bring up a good bit of nostalgia. There were some things that should've continued, but for the most part, I'm content with the present.

~Battle Frontier~

<-- Wolf Whistle
I love the animation right now (in the Battle Frontier saga) because they have added some 3D effect to some of the animation (like a 3D flamethrower) and the colors are better right now. The animations from the past, I didn't like it (kinda) the animations were good but the animations right now are better than the ones from the past.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I liked the old animation too, but in late Johto it got rediculous on how old and sloppy it looked. I'm glad they changed it, except when they first did it was kinda weird. It wasn't till Hoenn did it get alot better. Now I think it's wonderful.

CassSept

Pokemon became more realistic, since basically in old series (kanto & johto) it was basically all Sugimori`s artworks, so it was kinda annoying that no matter what they were doing pokemon were same =.=

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
I have an affinity for the cel animation, too. There are certain scenes in the early episodes that are brilliantly animated, with a real sense of energy to them that digital animation hasn't always been able to recapture.

On a semi-related note, I think the show is going a little overboard with the CGI graphics as of late. It seems to clash too much with the graphic design of the show.

When they first did the CG animation they cut the attacks out. This made me angry.

Anabel

The Salon Maiden
I'm pretty much content with how the animation is now (for I am the type of person who likes vibrant colors and shiny effects, lol), but I'll admit that I do find the Kanto and Orange Islands animation a tad bit nostalgic. Johto, however, was simply dreadful. It just looked sloppy.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The animation is just as crap as it's always been. We have frequent bursts of great action scenes and movement, which is quickly followed by the static doldrums of mouths flapping and popsickle-stick walk cycles. It's always been like this, and just because it's now all done digitally doesn't make it better at all.

What bothers me the most, is the complete lack of artistic style in the cartoon. Back in Kanto, pretty much every episode had it's own unique flair. Even the worst of animation directors managed to get in a hillarious expression, amusing pose or manage to capture the personallity of a character perfectly.
These days, there seems to be a stuggle to get even one of these elements into an episode. And personally, I find that to be quite sad.

While we do have some exceptionally well animated episodes produced for the show (namely from the likes of Iwane and Tamagawa), the majority suffers from both poor animation and woeful illustration. And to be quite honest, I'm amazed that so many people here seem to be perfectly content with this, as long as it's all put together via a computer

So in that respect, yes. For the most part, I do think the Cel animation was a lot better. We got a varied amount of different artists on the show, who were all good in their own right. I also found that the more subtle color schemes were a lot more pleasent to look at. I think one character that suffered most in the transition from cel to digi was Misty. As Miss. Platypus has stated in the past, her skin went from a nice, pale white color, to a blinding pink.

In short: Bright colors and sh!tty CGI effects doesn't always equate to a good looking show. Fluid animation and a recognisable artistic style usually do.

On a semi-related note, I think the show is going a little overboard with the CGI graphics as of late. It seems to clash too much with the graphic design of the show.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Though to give them credit, I can imagine some of the CGI attacks looking pretty spiffy if they were actually drawn and animated in the same style as the rest of the show. It's a shame that most CGI moves at least have a wee bit of creativity put into them, whilst most regularly animated attacks suffer from the old 'glowing appendage/beam/orb' syndrome.

Chris

Old Coot
I pretty much like digital animation better. It's less cost effective and everything looks more colorful. Why, if One Piece or Fullmetal Alchemist were done in cel animation, they wouldn't exactly look very attractive as they do now. My only objection with the animation of now is the god damned constant usage of CG for EVERY attack used.

There's CG for Flamethrower, Bubble and even SING.

Crystal Clair

Gravy, I agree with every bit of your post. I truly do miss the old style. I just hope that sooner or later, the style switches again (at least a little), the sky they use currently in AG looks totally out of place and extremely flat and ugly.

everything looks more colorful.
That's funny, considering I always thought Pokemon was much more colorful when it was in cel-animation.
The only acception of the digital animation not being colorful was the small time period between Casey's Meganium episode and Houen alone. During that period, the colors were maybe more beautiful than the original (everything seemed to glow) Or maybe it was just my tv, but I still loved it.
So as in protest to the new Pokemon style, I now only use colors that the charas had in the original style (but it's difficult when a chara was only in the digital animation)

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/6706/vlcsnap434513kd8.png

Joi's hat on Takeshi looks like a horrible PhotoShop image, Haruka looks a wee bit too scrawny at the stomach, and Satoshi....ugh.....
Notice the resemblance? Overrall, everyone in the picture looks like badly-made, crooked, lifeless dolls pasted on a background.

Recent Digital | The Usual

Aipom's head is daaaaaaaamn huge.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6637/vlcsnap54791fy4.png

I give you 5 seconds to spot ANYTHING badly drawn in this picture...

Nuff' said. I only liked the digital animation from Late Jouto - Early AG, after that everything became stiff to me.

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
I really liked the old cel animation. It gave Pokemon a true anime feel. Sure, the digital animation is cost effective and gives the series a cleaner feel, but it just doesn't feel like the same kind of anime I'm used to. Plus, as Satoshi pointed out, the downside to digital animation is horrible size relationship and unconsist character outlines. In addition, the digital animation make the CG effects look awkward at best.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Aside from stuff like Magical Size-Changing Aipom(although blaming that on CG isn't really fair, since SOMEONE has to be behind this indecisiveness in size) and overuse of CGI attacks, I like this new animation. Bearing in mind that I'm one of three people on earth who doesn't dislike Misty's new skin tone(it was only really noticable in the Togepi arc. It's not really noticable when you compare her to other characters. Yes, her skin going more toned after years of paleness is jarring, but other than that...), it does look smoother overall IMO.

As Johto wore on, the differences between the animation of the movies and openings slowly but surely became more noticable. In a bad way. I have nothing against the animation of the days of old, but by now it'd seem really really out of date. Sure, it had more heart to it, but it still looked like an old-school cartoon - good in its own right, but shoddy compared to more modern stuff. Really, put in the right hands the new animation could really be something, as could the old stuff - but the animators seem to be a tad lazy. Oh well, I'm not watching Pokemon to be wowed with the pinnacle of artistic greatness anyway. Hence why I don't seem to notice the 40596745 flaws people can find with a single pic, nor do I care. I don't mind the old eps unique but semi-dated style, nor do I mind the shiny new bright CGI style with its more noticable(or are people just noticing them more now that they're not 12 and under like they probably were during the old animation days?) flaws. Just gimme my 22-minute commercial, dammit! But without as many random CGI effects to wow the kiddies during battle.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/6706/vlcsnap434513kd8.png

Joi's hat on Takeshi looks like a horrible PhotoShop image, Haruka looks a wee bit too scrawny at the stomach, and Satoshi....ugh.....
Notice the resemblance? Overrall, everyone in the picture looks like badly-made, crooked, lifeless dolls pasted on a background.

Recent Digital | The Usual

Aipom's head is daaaaaaaamn huge.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6637/vlcsnap54791fy4.png

I give you 5 seconds to spot ANYTHING badly drawn in this picture...

Nuff' said. I only liked the digital animation from Late Jouto - Early AG, after that everything became stiff to me.

This is another one of my gripes, come to think of it. Ever since the switch to digital, the characters have been more and more frequently slipping off-model. I suppose that's the fault of the animators, though - they're the ones who do the actual drawings, after all.

Rex Kamex

I like the digital animation, but when it comes to cel animation, I prefer the cel animation they used more in the early Kanto episodes. The cel animation in Johto didn't really impress me that much. I'm not as excited as much about the digital animation since we've had that for years now and I'm used to it. I do like the CGI animation, but from what I've heard it's been used too much.

Rayd

Beginning Trainer
The animation used at Kanto was not bad,it had a unique looking I think.Maybe it would look old if they were still using it,but when I watch the new episodes,I feel the LAZYNESS...¬¬;;

Full of cheap 3D effects,and the characters don't move as much as they used to I think...May keeps staring at screens at the contest halls,Max and Brock never leave their seats,Ash stands and shouts...They sometimes walk,and the pokemon mainly jump...The rest are 'scrolling backgrounds' and 3D effects...