• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone know what was said in the original version of this scene?

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
It's legit he says the same iirc.
Ash was kinda dumb at that point.
OS episode 136.
Johto Journeys episode 20.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It's legit he says the same iirc.
Ash was kinda dumb at that point.
OS episode 136.
Johto Journeys episode 20.
You can’t really blame Ash for not knowing what therapy was. Remember he is essentially a ten year old school dropout with very little formal education before he ran off to become a Pokémon trainer.

Kuzehiko

You can’t really blame Ash for not knowing what therapy was. Remember he is essentially a ten year old school dropout with very little formal education before he ran off to become a Pokémon trainer.
Not sure if you're really serious or joking.

Kuzehiko

I mean they're completely right. There's been no indication that Ash had a proper education before he left to be a trainer so it makes perfect sense that he wouldn't recognize certain words like therapy. It's not a word that most kids would know especially in the Pokemon world.
Ash is dumb in OS for the sake of comic relief. Other 10 years old trainers are not this dumb. Plus in the Pokemon world if you are 10 years old you are supposed to be an adult and not a kid, you're legally not a minor anymore when you turn 10.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well that was what Shudo envisioned. But he also claimed that pokemon only popped up within recent memory despite the games that predated him disproving this.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Thank you in advance!

Joy: Is that Chicorita yours?
Satoshi: Uh... Y-Yes.
Joy: What's your name?
Satoshi: I'm Satoshi.
Kasumi: Excuse me, but... you're a Joy-san, right?
Joy: Yes, I'm a Joy-san that majored in Pokémon Psychology at the Tamamushi University. I provide Pokémon mental health care therapy.
Satoshi: "Therapy"... is that a new Pokémon?!
Kasumi: Oh come on... Therapy means "chiryo". People who perform shinri ryoho are called "therapists".
Satoshi: O... Oh.

So yeah, the general content of the scene itself is basically the same, but originally it involved Satoshi being unfamiliar with English loanwords and needing to be given the native Japanese words for these concepts to understand. He DID know what therapy was, he just didn't know the English word for it. Scenes like these are tough to translate into English.

(also the dub randomly axed a couple seconds near the start there for some reason)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Well that was what Shudo envisioned. But he also claimed that pokemon only popped up within recent memory despite the games that predated him disproving this.
Read beyond his novel's prologue; he was exaggerating when he said Pokémon only appeared recently.