• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone still listen to Punk Rock?

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Whats wrong with NOFX? They basicly set the stage for all the pop punk bs thats on the radio nowadays. There a good band and are one of the most succesful independent acts in music history. They made a name for themselfs just by word of mouth and also Fat Mike eventualy made a record lable and made it possible for alot of underground acts like themselfs get a chance in the music industry. They really have done alot for the punk scene.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
thread is saddening and filled with ignorance.

I'm pretty sure that the Dead Kennedys are also punk, and they're not on the same level as the aforementioned Clash and Ramones, but they are still one of my favorite punk bands. Black Flag is also worth a mention, as is Venom (who is metal nonetheless but had a good many hardcore punk influences).
Uh, Dead Kennedys are far better than The Clash and The Ramones.

Now, for anyone who has a valid musical opinion: Hardcore Recs, gogogo
Off Minor, Gospel, Jeromes Dream, Fugazi, Iron Lung, Pg.99, Moss Icon, Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross, Orchid, 108, Modern Life is War, et cetera.

since you already listen to Converge, Botch and Dillinger Escape Plan, yes.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
The Punk I like is

The Ramones
Sham 69
The Buzzcocks
Blood Or Whiskey
The Bloody Irish Boys
Dropkick Murphys
Fiddler's Green
Flogging Molly
The Pogues (I dunno if I would realy class them)
The Real McKenzies
Tossers
Sex Pistols

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Hey hammerheart, you ever seen flogging molly live? They put on a really good show! I wish I was 21 and could drink some brew at them though! They were actually my first mosh pit I was involved in. I was like 14 and weighed like 100 pounds. lol Im lucky I wasnt crushed!

Zazie

So 1991
Whats wrong with NOFX? They basicly set the stage for all the pop punk bs thats on the radio nowadays. There a good band and are one of the most succesful independent acts in music history. They made a name for themselfs just by word of mouth and also Fat Mike eventualy made a record lable and made it possible for alot of underground acts like themselfs get a chance in the music industry. They really have done alot for the punk scene.

Nothing is wrong with them, it's just funny when people say they hate pop punk bands then say they like NOFX because they are Pop Punk as well. (though they are certainley less comercial friendly they are still stylistically similar)

The Pie Maker
Something that has good beat, tells a story or happening or a decent topic, and is pleasant on the ears.

If you actually listened, the blink-182 song, (sorry if this offends you) "Ben Wah Balls" tells a story. It's about a family and there dad leaves and he always farts and sings a special song. Years later, when he's an old dude, he meets his daughter but they don't reconize eachother and fall in love. A few days later he sings the song and farts and then the daughter says this "When I was a little girl, my dad left my mom. He used to always fart and sing this special song. Now I wasn't quite so sure, 'til your pants did fall. I now know that your my dad because you use, Ben Wah Balls." That for me is an ironic story, Just is Good Riddance, which sometimes makes me cry. lol

thunderblade12

Ohwell:
Blink-182, Emarosa, Escape The Fate, Eyes Set To Kill, Fall Out Boy, From First To Last, Green Day, Hawthorne Heights, Paramore, Senses Fail, Silverstein, Sum 41, Yellowcard, Zebrahead.

My favorites are Senses Fail, Silverstein and Zebrahead.

I like these bands but really, I don't think they're punk. Blink-182, Sum 41, and Green day's old stuff might be punk but now them and the rest of these are like pop rock. Hawthorne Heights, From First to Last, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Senses Fail, Silverstein, and Yellowcard are definately pop punk at most. And I think Escape the Fate is metalcore or something

You call these guys Punk?

Does anyone even listen to bands like The Ramones or The Sex Pistols?

I do. Sex Pistols more than The Ramones

i don't like the sex pistols. they pretty much were a manufactured band based on the clothes richard hell wore, and they're music is too slow and the guitarist plays like some classic rock dude. only they don't have melodies.

the ramones are better, imo. i like what i've heard from the dead kennedys and bad brains and husker du and rites of spring and fugazi, but i've never really taken the time to explore them more. i love the replacements, but they really strayed from their punk roots.

i do like some blink 182 and early green day, but they're really just pop.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
I remember at one point there was a post made by a moderator at the time who was being educated in music. He wrote down the distinctions between genres as well as anybody really can (or should) with something like music. Does anybody know where that big ol' post went, or do they just eventually disappear?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Hey hammerheart, you ever seen flogging molly live? They put on a really good show! I wish I was 21 and could drink some brew at them though! They were actually my first mosh pit I was involved in. I was like 14 and weighed like 100 pounds. lol Im lucky I wasnt crushed!

Ive not no, but I wish I had seen them. I can imagine it being amazing
and I was a bit confused as to the 21 for a moment, but then I realised you mustnt be from the UK lol.
its 18 over here. not that stopped anyone before 18 :p

I like these bands but really, I don't think they're punk. Blink-182, Sum 41, and Green day's old stuff might be punk but now them and the rest of these are like pop rock. Hawthorne Heights, From First to Last, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Senses Fail, Silverstein, and Yellowcard are definately pop punk at most. And I think Escape the Fate is metalcore or something

From First To Last, Senses Fail, Silverstein and Escape the Fate goes under the category Post-Hardcore. Which is basicly a subgenre of Punk rock.
Although, Paramore, Yellowcard and Fall Out Boy is Pop Punk.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
It's not my favorite music but I do love Green Day, Blink 182, All Time Low, and all those pop-punk guys. Punk Rock is also fun as HELL to play if you're in a band.

Cyan

Mortal
The lack of Iggy Pop in this thread is deplorable.

Raw Power and Lust for Life, ftw

I also listen to a little Turbonegro. Even though They call themself Deathpunk, I just call them regular Punk rock xD

The Pie Maker
I've noticed some people are posting saying they don't like punk. If you don't like it, then don't post.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Dr. Manhattan and NOFX are also really good punk bands, although I heard that Fat Mike is an *** in person.