• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Anyone Still Wi-Fi Battle Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerogamer

sorry wifi battling is more tense because of the connection players have with the pokemon they trained hard to get those iv and ev places on there pokemon

Zerogamer

i play o wifi now in then and has never touch a simulator in my life

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
sorry wifi battling is more tense because of the connection players have with the pokemon they trained hard to get those iv and ev places on there pokemon

I second that, and I hope that answers Contrail's question aswell.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
I second that, and I hope that answers Contrail's question aswell.

Wi-fi is definitely more tense. But I use showdown because its faster and people are willing to use strategies like STALL. I like that. In Wi-fi, its just hyper offense because people are so impatient. I personally find more variety in strategies that people in simulators than Wi-fi, where it's just boost and sweep.

Do you really think everyone over wifi breeds/ev trains/levels their Pokémon?

I know I don't. When I get on wifi it's with a team of flawless IV'd, EV'd, moveset-ed Pokémon. I don't always use the strongest team because of that, but I do want perfection and it takes far too long traditionally. As a matter of fact, it's almost impossible traditionally.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
How are they more tense? Pokemon battling is Pokemon battling no matter what platform.

I guess its subjective or something, but I think its because it is the atucal game and the effort that "some" people put in to ev train/iv breed their pokemon makes the battles more worthwhile. Plus, the game is better designed then showdown overall. Showdown/pokemon online WAS designed to imitate the game mechanics as close as possible afterall.

In anycase, I don't wifi much anymore, but I love doing it when I do. I refuse to illegally make my pokemon on my game, because if i didn't then it would feel like the exact same thing as Pokemon online or showdown.

but if you want to fight me at my best, showdown/PO would be the place to go.

Though there is one thing i don't like about random battles. And that is the lack of 6 on 6 1v1 battles. Thats my shiz right there D:

AnakBaé

PO and PS are dominating the competive pokemon metagame, I found this sad.. Wifi is way more fun and tense.

I own an Wifi-league here in Serebii to keep WIFI battling alive and fun, come and join it if you like Wifi matches :)

I found these favoritism sad as well.
Saying Wifi is better than PO/PS is like saying hard cover books are better than paperback books in terms of the non-important quality like endurance and flexibility, while completely overlooking the quality of the books' material itself. Also, "Tense" is what I feel when I encounter a worthy opponent, not when I use a specific tool while being fueled by a burning passion of defending one's opinion towards one method without realizing that both sides are engaging in a useless opinion based argument. Wifi & simulators (PO/PS) has their own pros and cons, get over it.

Now to answer the thread. Yes I did use Wifi, but not anymore.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!

Times wifi is more tense: When you are in the room, face-to-face with the person you're battling.

EV's are so easy to do lol. It takes maybe 30 minutes - 1 hour to EV a train a Pokemon with the power items, proteins, and pokerus. IV's are definitely harder to achieve, but once you learn how to RNG Pokemon, all the effort you have to do is guess what? Type in what Pokemon you want then wait for the program to tell you the date. Guess what you do on simulators? Type in what Pokemon you want, minus the waiting for a date. Hell, nowadays if you have an Iphone/touch/pad you can download an app to get whatever Pokemon you want on your DS. While this may not be what all people do, some more than likely do use that, so in a way wifi has become like simulators on a DS, with the option to spend some time rng'ing and ev training. Plus if you want to feel connections with your Pokemon, then you should either stick to in-game, playing friends with in-game teams, or go play PASBL (Which by the way is 100x better than comp). When playing competitive Pokemon, you don't think, "Oh, I don't want Pika to faint, I love him too much so I'll switch into Raptor to take the Earthquake." You think, "Obvious Earthquake and Pika can still be of some use later, no reason to sack something now. I'll go Raptor." If this isn't somewhat like your thought process, then why are you in the Competitive section. I've tried both, and as you said in your second post, you haven't. Simulators are more convenient, and offer the same experience, minus the time-consuming and annoying parts of it. Also @Azulart, it did answer my question (Not well or soundly), but it was a really shitty answer.

AJ2000

Honestly, the only time I use sims is when I want to try out a team to use in the actual game. Wi-fi battles are ten times better than sims with the overall feel, win record, details, etc.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
Honestly, the only time I use sims is when I want to try out a team to use in the actual game. Wi-fi battles are ten times better than sims with the overall feel, win record, details, etc.

See, someone who does do wifi, but uses sims for a good purpose, props to you. PS/PO have win records too though, and the details (Assuming you mean mechanics and finding battles) are more or less the same, with PS/PO being faster with finding battles.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
To all of you posting about how wifi is superior to simulators or vice versa, stop. This is not what the OP of the thread asked to be discussed, he/she was just curious about how many people still used wifi. It is fine to list the reasons why you use the battling medium you do, but as AnakBaé pointed out, the only real reason to use one over the other is personal preference. The only place that the "wifi/simulators are better" posts are going is into mindless fangirling and probably infractions all around for going off topic.

Now that that's through, I used to do wifi, and believe that I will return to doing it for XY, but for now I've been sticking to simulators due to convenience. I also used to use simulators as sort of a testing ground for teams so that I wouldn't have to spend the time making them ingame if the team turned out to be terrible, and if it was good, I would take the time to get it on wifi.

Zerogamer

why i use wifi because i played the actual game the ds and i can see what you can get from simulators but fill that these simulators take away players that could be playing wifi

what i hope for wifi in pokemon x and y is that introduce new features that let come together and play battles like in street fight with there endless battle lobbys for pokemon

old man

On Guard!!!
My dislike is well known for PO. Yes. I still play wifi and yes it is very hard to find good battles. However I do play exclusively (now) VGC formatt now so I'm on the GBU a lot. I find it a lot easier than setting up times to battle folk.

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
I prefer WiFi battles personally, but simulators are so much easier. And as miror said they are a good way to test teams before you spend all that time getting them on your cartridge. I also broke my DS.

1.21GWs

why i use wifi because i played the actual game the ds and i can see what you can get from simulators but fill that these simulators take away players that could be playing wifi

what i hope for wifi in pokemon x and y is that introduce new features that let come together and play battles like in street fight with there endless battle lobbys for pokemon

That'd be awesome. One of my major gripes with wifi is the inability to communicate with your opponents, add rematches, create a friends list, etc.

Shedijini

Ghostly
Im surprised. i started signing up for the PGL tournaments, and there were an larger than average amount of people in it. Even random matchup is popular.

Renasce

Title Drop
I only really play random wi-fi, mainly because I'm too lazy to figure out a simulator. I don't do it very often, though - 3v3 is pretty meh and people DC a whole lot. As for actually finding actual people to actually battle with... That sounds like work. Not a fan.

Pokemonspecialgerman

I play mainly with friends on Wifi. It's more fun to battle with own Pokemon. I don't really like the GBU though.
But the random-team mode on showdown is awesome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.