• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone suffer from a mental illnes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowjoe

Turbo Raptor
I found that when I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks that when I stopped being embarrassed about it they began to improve. My real friends didn't give me grief about it at all, anyone who does isn't worth the time.

I found that when I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks that when I stopped being embarrassed about it they began to improve. My real friends didn't give me grief about it at all, anyone who does isn't worth the time.

Ah I guess I'm just bitter because I pretty much lost people who were very close to me due to it, back when it was at it's peak. I mean I don't blame them, because if you had to listen to some chick being all crazy as I was, I'm sure you'd get sick of it too.

But I guess you're right.. my disorder did improve after I got out of school and moved on with my life.
It is said that your disorder will worsen at times of extreme stress so I totally get what you're saying. You have to be happy and support yourself.

Last edited:

Ludwig

Because people are assholes. Trust me, even my family thinks I'm wacky. :3
You should know how people are.

I'm usually seen as someone intelligent by other people. I think that's partly because I started attending university for mathematics courses 2 years early and the only reason why it wasn't even earlier was because of formal reasons.
I'm also attending a school exclusive for people with asperger's, so my current classmates and teachers likely doesn't think that.

Because people are assholes. Trust me, even my family thinks I'm wacky. :3
You should know how people are.

Well, just about everybody who knows me thinks I'm wacky...

Also, a downside of Aspergers: often, when people who don't know what Aspergers is hear that I have Aspergers, they think it's some kind of mental handicap that lowers my intelligence and think I'm retarded. The fact that my IQ is high doesn't matter to them, they treat me like I'm either stupid or like a little kid (I'm 18). I'm glad people who do know what Aspergers is don't treat me like that.

Snowjoe

Turbo Raptor
Ah I guess I'm just bitter because I pretty much lost people who were very close to me due to it, back when it was at it's peak. I mean I don't blame them, because if you had to listen to some chick being all crazy as I was, I'm sure you'd get sick of it too.

But I guess you're right.. my disorder did improve after I got out of school and moved on with my life.
It is said that your disorder will worsen at times of extreme stress so I totally get what you're saying. You have to be happy and support yourself.

Ah I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing at you! I was very lucky that my closest friends and my family were very very supportive, it would have been a whole different ball game had they not been. I'm sure I wouldn't have dealt with it as well had that not been the case.

I'm usually seen as someone intelligent by other people. I think that's partly because I started attending university for mathematics courses 2 years early and the only reason why it wasn't even earlier was because of formal reasons.
I'm also attending a school exclusive for people with asperger's, so my current classmates and teachers likely doesn't think that.

Well obviously people who go through the same thing as you aren't going to think of you as different.
I'm talking about people in general who have no idea about mental disorders and what some people go through.

Also, a downside of Aspergers: often, when people who don't know what Aspergers is hear that I have Aspergers, they think it's some kind of mental handicap that lowers my intelligence and think I'm retarded. The fact that my IQ is high doesn't matter to them, they treat me like I'm either stupid or like a little kid (I'm 18). I'm glad people who do know what Aspergers is don't treat me like that.

Of course, when people hear the word 'mental disorder', it has the word mental and disorder in it.. doesn't sound too intelligent haha.
But this is exactly what I'm talking about how it's embarrassing to admit and have people see you do your crap. People just don't understand.

Ludwig

Well obviously people who go through the same thing as you aren't going to think of you as different.
I'm talking about people in general who have no idea about mental disorders and what some people go through.

I don't meet such people though.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Well I would never understand why someone would lie about having a true mental disorder, because overall it's just highly embarrassing and everyone around you thinks you're screwed up in the head completely.

Considering how often Aspergers is diagnosed (not even counting self-diagnoses which are pretty clearly bull), and how a lot of the symptoms are very similar to "being a teenager," I wouldn't be surprised if some people just think they have a mental disorder because an "authority" figure told them. (Also -- and I don't know how true this is -- but parents have purportedly been seeking out Aspergers diagnoses for their kids, because it's apparently basically harmless and why not help a kid in an enormously underhanded way.)

Flame Mistress

well were all on a pokemon forum so i think everybody is sufering from a mental illness LOL
You know, looking at all these posts, I'm starting to think that you're right after all...

Well, I think pretty much every non-shipper thinks we're wacky =p

Of course, I don't have Asperger's, so I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been through that as well. When I first came to the UK, everyone thought I was dumb (as in stupid) because I couldn't speak English well. Showed them all who they were dealing with when proceeded to kick everyone's butt in every test I took, though. B]

Of course, when people hear the word 'mental disorder', it has the word mental and disorder in it.. doesn't sound too intelligent haha.
But this is exactly what I'm talking about how it's embarrassing to admit and have people see you do your crap. People just don't understand.

Yes... That's also why I try to avoid telling people who are close-minded. I'm fine with telling people from who I know they are open-minded, but I hate having to tell people who are close-minded. Open-minded people who don't know what Aspergers is ask what it means, or give me the chance to explain it, while some others never ask what it is and just assume I'm retarded...

Also, some people think Aspergers isn't real and only see it as a way to get attention, which is really unfair... I get called "drama king" and "attention *****" sometimes, while I'm really not trying to get attention.

Also, things like, for example, the South Park episode about Aspergers (called "Ass Burgers" in South Park), can make things worse: some people really believe Aspergers is just a big lie and no real disorder... That kind of shows can have a bad influence on people who don't know about Aspergers: then South Park is the first thing they see about it, and they keep that in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love South Park, but that episode was quite painful to watch.

Another example: a teacher of mine some years ago once told about some show he saw about someone who has autism and also some mental disorder that made that person have an incredibly low intelligence. He (and me too) think such shows are wrong: it makes people who don't know about Autism think that all people with a form of autism (including Aspergers) are like that, which is really not true.

Well, I think pretty much every non-shipper thinks we're wacky =p

Well, when purely looking at my own pro-Misty, pro-OS and pro-PokeShipping fanatism, I can't blame them. XD

Of course, I don't have Asperger's, so I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been through that as well. When I first came to the UK, everyone thought I was dumb (as in stupid) because I couldn't speak English well. Showed them all who they were dealing with when proceeded to kick everyone's butt in every test I took, though. B]

That must be horrilbe. It's good that you proved people wrong by getting good grades in school. Is your English fine now, and do you get treated normally now?

Last edited:

Flame Mistress

Well, when purely looking at my own pro-Misty, pro-OS and pro-PokeShipping fanatism, I can't blame them. XD
People are like that when I tell them that I ship Ash and Dawn together, because to be fair, they are canonically 10-year-olds. XD and these are the people who ship a 13-year-old with a 37-year-old... talk about hypocrisy, man

That must be horrilbe. It's good that you proved people wrong by getting good grades in school. Is your English fine now, and do you get treated normally now?
Yes, I'm alright at reading and writing English, and I guess my spelling and grammar are pretty good, too (as you probably noticed =p). But I still do stutter slightly when I speak English... still, it's not that big of a deal. I get treated normally now, yes.

Ludwig

Lucky you. Do you get out?

Other than school, archery practice once a week and weight lifting 3-5 times a week I rarely leave the house.

Considering how often Aspergers is diagnosed (not even counting self-diagnoses which are pretty clearly bull), and how a lot of the symptoms are very similar to "being a teenager," I wouldn't be surprised if some people just think they have a mental disorder because an "authority" figure told them. (Also -- and I don't know how true this is -- but parents have purportedly been seeking out Aspergers diagnoses for their kids, because it's apparently basically harmless and why not help a kid in an enormously underhanded way.)

The age at which people get the diagnosis differs. I was 7 or 8 years old.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I was tested for Autism when i was a kid, but the tests came back negative, i wonder sometimes if it was wrong but i've never had the guts to go back.

People are like that when I tell them that I ship Ash and Dawn together, because to be fair, they are canonically 10-year-olds. XD and these are the people who ship a 13-year-old with a 37-year-old... talk about hypocrisy, man

What 13-year-old do these people ship with what 37-year-old?

Yes, I'm alright at reading and writing English, and I guess my spelling and grammar are pretty good, too (as you probably noticed =p). But I still do stutter slightly when I speak English... still, it's not that big of a deal. I get treated normally now, yes.

Well, I don't really notice any big spelling and grammar problems when reading this post and your previous post in this thread, but English isn't my main language, so I might miss mistakes.

Do you get wrongly judged for stuttering sometimes?

I was tested for Autism when i was a kid, but the tests came back negative, i wonder sometimes if it was wrong but i've never had the guts to go back.

I'd advise you to run the test again if you're unsure: otherwise, you might wonder about this for the rest of your life.

I'd advise you to run the test again if you're unsure: otherwise, you might wonder about this for the rest of your life.

This.
The mind is a very tricky bitch sometimes. Once you think you have something, your mind will tend to trick you and cause you to believe you have the wrong symptoms that aren't actually happening with you.

My mind on the other hand, constantly tricks me, because all OCD is, is a trigger in your brain that causes you to believe something is wrong or dangerous when nothing is at all.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
This.
The mind is a very tricky bitch sometimes. Once you think you have something, your mind will tend to trick you and cause you to believe you have the wrong symptoms that aren't actually happening with you.

My mind on the other hand, constantly tricks me, because all OCD is, is a trigger in your brain that causes you to believe something is wrong or dangerous when nothing is at all.
i agree if u think you have something your mind starts to start to find things that could justify that thought...

and as i said before, most of my closest friends have a mental dissorder...so i know how hard it can be...and you would believe how many times i have talked someone out of suicide...i have even done it a few times on this site, to complete strangers...
yes it is bad that people have these dissorders...but that doesnt mean that u cant live a happy life with them...

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I have ADD and asbergers syndrome, I go to a Saturday session with kids with the same thing, I also work there

Status
Not open for further replies.