• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone think Froakie will finally break the Water Starter curse?

Will Froakie be the first evolved water starter?

• Yes, Ninja frogs are awesome!

Votes: 133 73.1%
  • No, he will be like the rest

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Not sure/Don't care

Votes: 33 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
We've literally only seen five episodes of XY and while Froakie seems a bit more serious than Ash's other Water-types, I don't think it's enough to say that he'll "definitely fully evolve." I mean people completely ignore the fact that his appeal also comes at the price of being popular and marketable and if kids grow to like Froakie more than his evolved forms, I'm betting that he won't evolve at all.

I don't think it's funny that Ash's main Water-types don't evolve, but I do find it irritating that the people who invented this "curse" thing constantly attack the writers and make them out to be the enemies, and yet at the same time believe that the "curse" can be broken after 15+ years just because of Froakie. That's giving Froakie way too much credit.
Chimchar was the most popular starter in gen 4.
I thought people were all for mijumaru evolving in The first 5 episodes of BW. Then it never happened. For all we know froakie will turn out the same. And I for one can never see it becoming a greninja and losing the sticky foam attack.

Ash also got all 3 starters in unova, now he will only have one. Plus I don't think pignite was nearly as marketable as tepig, yet it evolved.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought people were all for mijumaru evolving in The first 5 episodes of BW. Then it never happened. For all we know froakie will turn out the same.

I agree, although if Froakie doesn't evolve it won't be because he's "too cute" like Oshawott; it'll be because he's just generally well-liked and preferred over Frogadier and Greninja among the younger demographic imo.

Chimchar was the most popular starter in gen 4.

Someone said this before without actually bothering to post receipts, so obviously, I'm not going to take it seriously. I feel strongly that Piplup was the most popular Gen 4 Starter given that he appeared in 99% of the episodes in DP. When someone finds the actual merchandise sales numbers for Gen 4 Pokemon, they should let me know.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I agree, although if Froakie doesn't evolve it won't be because he's "too cute" like Oshawott; it'll be because he's just generally well-liked and preferred over Frogadier and Greninja among the younger demographic imo.

Someone said this before without actually bothering to post receipts, so obviously, I'm not going to take it seriously. I feel strongly that Piplup was the most popular Gen 4 Starter given that he appeared in 99% of the episodes in DP. When someone finds the actual merchandise sales numbers for Gen 4 Pokemon, they should let me know.

Well I know for sure I saw it somewhere before, but I'm still looking. If I can find the proof though, I think it definitely proves that froakie can be very marketable and still evolve.

There is also one of the plot point i forget about with Froakie he was abandoned. Ash has taking in Charizard, Pignite, Quilava, Infernape, and Snivy all are whom were abandoned (Although snivy turned her back on her OT) all the ones who was abandoned by their OT Ash took in and they evolved in a pattern (fully evolve, mid stage, fully evolve, mid stage) So I think that could also work in Froakies favor to become Greninja.

froakie wasnt abandoned he left his trainer just like snivy and quilava wasnt abandoned

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I still don't care, not setting the bar high really because I'm more interested in finding out what else he'll get

Well I know for sure I saw it somewhere before, but I'm still looking. If I can find the proof though, I think it definitely proves that froakie can be very marketable and still evolve.
If Umbilical Noose ever appears again ask him, because that's his signature (The Chimchar thing).

Last edited:

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
If Froakie doesn't evolve I will laugh.
But in all seriousness, I always liked the fire starters more. The waters were too in our faces in the wrong aspects. I just want good battles from everyone. If they choose to evolve then fine. If not then fine.

Reactions: JD

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
^I like the fire starters more myself, but even I can see it's high time a water starter was in the spotlight, rather than a fire or grass one.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
I thought people were all for mijumaru evolving in The first 5 episodes of BW. Then it never happened. For all we know froakie will turn out the same. And I for one can never see it becoming a greninja and losing the sticky foam attack.

That's pretty much why I'm surprised at the idea people have that Froakie is evoking.

dman_dustin

Turtwig lost its speed when it evolved, so I don't see your point.

The sticky foam attack will just be replaced with water shuriken anyway.

LizardonX

Banned
Turtwig lost its speed when it evolved, so I don't see your point.

The sticky foam attack will just be replaced with water shuriken anyway.

Turtwig never should have had that speed in the first place.

It has 31 base speed while Grotle has base 36.

Water shuriken just looks like a razor leaf reskin but with water in the anime, nothing as special as sticky foam.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
That's pretty much why I'm surprised at the idea people have that Froakie is evoking.

Except from the very start oshawott was clearly used as comic relief. So far froakie really hasn't shown any of that at all, unless you count it smacking fletchling. Also the amall fact that ash got all three unova starters, froakie will be the only one here. And water shuriken cam.easily.replace the frubbles.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Yes, yes, yes. Dear God, YES!!!!

Ahem, what I meant is that if they evolve Froakie, it gives Ash a solid Water-type powerhouse, something I think Ash's team is sorely lacking. None of Ash's Water pokemon seem like they can take down a Legendary like Charizard and Sceptile can. Then we'll finally have Ash's final team for the championships...in all seriousness, it should've happened much, much sooner.

JD

Turtwig never should have had that speed in the first place.

It has 31 base speed while Grotle has base 36.

Water shuriken just looks like a razor leaf reskin but with water in the anime, nothing as special as sticky foam.

Why don't people understand that base stats apply to the anime?

How do you know what Water Shuriken looks like? The move hasn't even been shown yet we wont know what it looks like until Greninja appears. You can't just say it looks like Razor Leaf without knowing.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Except from the very start oshawott was clearly used as comic relief. So far froakie really hasn't shown any of that at all

I don't think that was the point of that person's post. It seemed that they were implying that people always make these kinds of evolution predictions even when there's no evidence that it'll happen at all. The same thing happened with Oshawott, whether or not people thought he was just a comedic relief character at first or not. It's funny though because even 50 episodes into BW when his role on the show was blatantly obvious, there were still tons of people who thought he would evolve. Therefore I really hope that if Froakie does evolve, it happens really soon if only to end the tension between those of us who don't care about Froakie's evolution, and those who seem to think it's a matter of life or death. :p

Last edited:

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
I'm starting to think that because Pancham looks like an Ash-type capture and he needs to evolve when there's another Dark type Pokémon on the team then I think Froakie will go all the way to Greninja should Ash capture a Pancham.

LizardonX

Banned
Why don't people understand that base stats apply to the anime?

How do you know what Water Shuriken looks like? The move hasn't even been shown yet we wont know what it looks like until Greninja appears. You can't just say it looks like Razor Leaf without knowing.

It's still extremely weird for a turtle to move that fast.

Well it certainly won't be more sticky foam.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Turtwig was kinda boring in retrospect, it felt like a less interesting version of Bulbasaur. Too bad when it started evolving it kept getting worse.

I guess the writers wanted Sceptile to remain supreme, its no surprise Sceptile landing the finishing blows on Darkrai. We can only hope Froakie gets the AG Treecko treatment.

JD

Well..most small Pokemon have been depicted as being pretty fast in the anime even May's Munchlax was pretty speedy.
The writers wanted to give it speed so they did..you're looking for logic for a game/anime in which rodents generate electricity :p

dman_dustin

No, but every Pokemon gains or loses something upon evolution.

Greninja could part with basically an anime-only concept, and gain some more game mechanics such as water shuriken.

Besides its obvious Frubbles only exist to shortcut not having water shuriken.

Doesn't matter it Water Shuriken is nothing like Frubbles, it will be a suitable replacement, because I'm sure there are strategy and tactics opened up because of water shuriken.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Turtwig was kinda boring in retrospect, it felt like a less interesting version of Bulbasaur. Too bad when it started evolving it kept getting worse.

I guess the writers wanted Sceptile to remain supreme, its no surprise Sceptile landing the finishing blows on Darkrai. We can only hope Froakie gets the AG Treecko treatment.

I felt like Turtwig - Grotle was a nice transition and Grotle wasn't doing too bad, but Torterra got screwed over lol

Status
Not open for further replies.