• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does anyone want to help with my new Website?

Hello, I am starting up a new site http://teamshinysuicune.bravehost.com/index.html. I am currently using a free Bravenet host but I don't think it's that great. I do plan on paying for my website once I get all of the content up and get a decent amount of people to come. If you have any suggestions on what free host I should use and what host I should use when I decide to pay, it would be appreciated.

What I need Help with:
-Layout help. Someone who could help me with the layout and make the site visually pleasing is what I'm looking for.
-Coding. If you want to write the coding/html whatever then that would be greatly appreciated because I'm really very good at that and can only do basic html.
-Content
-Pokedex/attackdex
-Very descriptive guides for D/P
-Damage Calculator/Team builder program
-Competitive battling information
-Article writers
-Event Pokemon guide

"Niche": I know that my site will probably not be as good as Smogon in the competitive aspect and not as good as Serebii in the pokedex/other information aspect but what if someone needed information on both aspects of the game. It would save them time to just come to my site for the info instead of go to two different sites. It isn't a very good niche I know but maybe I will think of something better.

Rewards:
-No money. Sorry guys but I can't really afford to pay all of the people that want to help me, even when I do start to try to make money off of the site.
-Moderator on forums.
-Credited with the work.
-You get to take part in the growth of the site. You will get to witness it getting more and more popular every day.
-Feel good inside. You'll feel good inside that you helped someone, it is the season of giving after all.
-I can giveaway free pokemon such as pokes with high IV's, EV trained, events, shinies, and hack you some pokemon with pokesav.

Closing words: Thanks in advance if you help, it's greatly appreciated. If you have any comments/criticism/ideas they would be appreciated too. If you want to reach me on aim my aim is: BlueCookies27

Squall

blergh...!
I'm taking a risk when I say I'm willing to help you because you're presenting me your site with practically nothing... the something that I can see is not the best stuff either.

TeamShinySuicune said:
What I need Help with:
-Layout help. Someone who could help me with the layout and make the site visually pleasing is what I'm looking for.
-Coding. If you want to write the coding/html whatever then that would be greatly appreciated because I'm really very good at that and can only do basic html.
-Content
-Pokedex/attackdex
-Article writers
-Event Pokemon guide

What exactly will you do?

I am quite capable of writing pokedex entries(It's just that there are 493 pokemon and that's a lot of writing for just me)/Articles/and competitive battling information. Thanks for volunteering though.

Squall

blergh...!
Sure, to be more especific I can offer myself to write articles, competitive battling information and (only if you really can't find anyone else, because I have my own site to occupy my time) I can make you a layout. I would offer for the graphics team aswell, but you apparently have no need for them.

Squall

blergh...!
Design graphics: banners, separators, sprites, any image-related thing you need for the site. I won't be able to make you spriting stuff but for the rest you can count me in. By the way, use this layout for the time being, please. Your current one is a mess x_x

juanda95

Hello, I am starting up a new site http://teamshinysuicune.bravehost.com/index.html. I am currently using a free Bravenet host but I don't think it's that great. I do plan on paying for my website once I get all of the content up and get a decent amount of people to come. If you have any suggestions on what free host I should use and what host I should use when I decide to pay, it would be appreciated.

What I need Help with:
-Content
-Pokedex/attackdex
-Article writers
-Event Pokemon guide

"Niche": I know that my site will probably not be as good as Smogon in the competitive aspect and not as good as Serebii in the pokedex/other information aspect but what if someone needed information on both aspects of the game. It would save them time to just come to my site for the info instead of go to two different sites. It isn't a very good niche I know but maybe I will think of something better.

Rewards:
-No money. Sorry guys but I can't really afford to pay all of the people that want to help me, even when I do start to try to make money off of the site.
-Moderator on forums.
-Credited with the work.
-You get to take part in the growth of the site. You will get to witness it getting more and more popular every day.
-Feel good inside. You'll feel good inside that you helped someone, it is the season of giving after all.
-I can giveaway free pokemon such as pokes with high IV's, EV trained, events, shinies, and hack you some pokemon with pokesav.

Closing words: Thanks in advance if you help, it's greatly appreciated. If you have any comments/criticism/ideas they would be appreciated too. If you want to reach me on aim my aim is: BlueCookies27

Hi, I reccomend www.awardspace.com, because this free hosting give you 5 email accounts free, 5 subdomains free, 1 SQL Database free, and 200 MB free, you can perform your account but first view this free host. It's good

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
Nah, Awardspace ain't great. It's good for really basic sites, but the forbidden word thing, and only 1 sql database sucks.It also lacks a real control panel.

For free I'd go to something like parahosting or something with cPanel or for paid go with something cheap like hostmonster (yeah they oversell bigtime, but you wouldnt use enough reesources to worry).

BP

Disgruntled Goat

has his moments
My advice would be to work on the site some more before asking for help. Prove that you can do work yourself.

only 1 sql database sucks.
Why does that suck? You only need one database, you can have any number of tables in there. You can even merge a forum in there, too, if the tables have unique names. A free host allowing PHP and MySQL is pretty amazing. Don't count on the reliability though.

Last edited:

juanda95

My advice would be to work on the site some more before asking for help. Prove that you can do work yourself.

Why does that suck? You only need one database, you can have any number of tables in there. You can even merge a forum in there, too, if the tables have unique names. A free host allowing PHP and MySQL is pretty amazing. Don't count on the reliability though.

Yes it's true that RichUncleSkeleton says, because 1 only SQL Database its sufficients, and you have 5 mails only to you its ammazing.

And with 1 account you can have 5 subdomains, and you can upload your files in FTP Software like Mozilla or others.

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
Nearly every host allows PHP, ASP, JSP or some kind of server side language, as for 1 MySQL database sucking - it does. Forums should only ever take up one database, with nothing sharing it, because if the forum grows, the database is going to get to big. 5 email accounts is OK, but I prefer my unlimited....same with SQL databases.

5 subdomains....why would you want 5 subdomains? That is just confusing for your visitors as your site is already a subdomain of awardspace
http://subdomain.mydomain.awardspace.com is too long a domain.

It costs 9-10 dollars a year to register a domain a name for .com,.net, .org,.biz,.info and .name. If you can afford even basic internet, you can afford a domain name.

I have had very reliable free host such as http://leaderhost.com, I was with them before I got bored and moved to a reseller VPS at $40 a month, and I am getting a dedicated some time this week. But yeah, not everybody can afford that (or will need it), and thats fine...a free host will do the job. But you do want 2 or 3 SQL databases if you are only going to use one....just in case, and its there if you want it.

Very few free hosts offer this,and it is the reason I went paid is cPanel. I love cPanel/WHM and if you can get it with your account, its great.

Its all about what you need, and your opinions. I would never settle with anything less than 10 SQL databases or email accounts (because I need it), but most people don't need that, and can live without it.

Cheers

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
Ultimately, it's fruitless to argue over how good a host is if you don't know the requirements/desires for the person who needs hosting. It's a luxury to some to have several databases, while a near-necessity to others.

If your current host (Bravehost) suits your needs perfectly for the present and forseeable future, stick with that. If not, check out other options in web host directories (lists of different webhosts) such as http://www.freewebspace.net and http://www.clickherefree.com

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
Nonsense.

TeamShinySuicune said:
If you have any comments/criticism/ideas they would be appreciated too.
The host is a rather central concept to the site, ne? People are offering their ideas for hosts, as requested by the topic creator.