• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Ash really deserve to win a league?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It actually did, there where a lot of canceled pre-orders

It's still not going to have any affects on the sales though since a new generation of kids will still buy the games anyways.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
It's still not going to have any affects on the sales though since a new generation of kids will still buy the games anyways.

It's a sizeable precedent of disgust. When a game without actual delays or issues on its conception showcases this kind of spikes it shows on sales.

Trying to downplay this is like saying Konami treats it's franchises with respect.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
That sounds really unfair and/or stupid to cancel a pre-order over something as unrelated as Ash (an anime-only character) losing a league (in a possibly-unrelated region).

agreed, not that it'll have any negative effects on the sales of the games anyways.

LizardonX

Banned
It actually did, there where a lot of canceled pre-orders

Lol I'll humor you and say that 100,000 people canceled their pre-order in disgust. According to this Pokemon XY sold 14.6 million copies. Which is a measly 0.6% of the buybase. If S&M sells anywhere near that amount I'm certain gamefreak couldn't care less about people's thoughts on the anime.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Lol I'll humor you and say that 100,000 people canceled their pre-order in disgust. According to this Pokemon XY sold 14.6 million copies. Which is a measly 0.6% of the buybase. If S&M sells anywhere near that amount I'm certain gamefreak couldn't care less about people's thoughts on the anime.

Maybe, but even so, if they get wind that a lot of people canceled a pre-order of their game due to something the animé did, you can bet that they'll have words with The Pokémon Company or the animé's writers over why this happened and tell them that they're on thin ice. If the animé ever starts becoming a liability to the franchise, TPC, GameFreak, or Nintendo will jettison it faster than you can imagine. There was once a time when the animé enticed new people to buy the games. I know, I was one of them, so long ago. If it starts causing people to turn away from the franchise, there will be trouble for the animé, especially since its ratings aren't that great at the moment.

Markerz

The question could be reworded to ask instead if the fans deserve to see Ash win, since Ash isn't a real person. I think that, at some point, there should be some action taken to give the viewers of the show (especially the long time ones) a reward for the narrative that's been built around a character they've invested in. Perhaps the minor victories Ash and/or his companions accomplish along the way would placate some viewers, but the big payoff at the end of the journey's where the most weight should be held.

As for pre-orders, Pokemon's one of those franchises that's got such a vast and vocal fanbase that it's not a question of 'if they'll sell enough,' but rather 'how much more can they sell this time.'

I hardly pre-order, and the only reason I've done so for Sun is that Amazon Prime gives a discount, so I might as well decrease my purchase price for something I was going to buy anyway. How much I enjoy the next generation will determine if I buy Moon. The anime itself has no bearing on my decision making, which I imagine is how the vast majority of the people buying feel.

Speaking of pre-orders, I highly advise against it unless you're convinced you're going to buy something and get your money's worth from it. Extras alone aren't worth the investment, and we live in a day and age where you can get media (Twitch) coverage the day of to give you the impressions you need to make a purchase decision. I've made purchase regrets in the past, buying games I thought would be interesting buy never put more than a few minutes into. Hype is dangerous. ;)

SebastiaanZ

Maybe, but even so, if they get wind that a lot of people canceled a pre-order of their game due to something the animé did, you can bet that they'll have words with The Pokémon Company or the animé's writers over why this happened and tell them that they're on thin ice. If the animé ever starts becoming a liability to the franchise, TPC, GameFreak, or Nintendo will jettison it faster than you can imagine. There was once a time when the animé enticed new people to buy the games. I know, I was one of them, so long ago. If it starts causing people to turn away from the franchise, there will be trouble for the animé, especially since its ratings aren't that great at the moment.

I honestly hope this will happen in some way. Not that I wish the anime to die, but to have the writers and producers realize that what they did was totally unacceptable. I have no intention at all to pre-order Sun and Moon for one.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I honestly hope this will happen in some way. Not that I wish the anime to die, but to have the writers and producers realize that what they did was totally unacceptable. I have no intention at all to pre-order Sun and Moon for one.

In Japan the term unacceptable isn't enough, we need to make them understand that's "unforgivable" for the audience.

LizardonX

Banned

And gamefreak couldn't care less if you or any other disgruntled anime fan doesn't pre order.

Unless the game sells drastically worse then X and Y then I really doubt this will make them so much as flinch. Besides unless more people pre order then buy the game up front it doesn't matter much. A fan outcry isn't loud enough to get their attention, we need actual profit being significantly affected because of the anime for them to start giving the writers warnings.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm surprised about the supposed cancellation of Sun and Moon game pre-orders just cuz of Ash's loss. It just seems like an overreaction to me since Ash's league position has nothing to do with those games, and Gamefreak isn't directly involved in the anime either. ^^;

It's a sort of petty revenge thing to get back at the writers for making Ash lose the league. It's like "Oh, Ash lost again, now I'm going to get back at you for making me mad by not buying the game.".

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
I'm pretty sure people posting here are more emotionally invested in the anime than the games.

True but not everyone who plays the games watches the anime and vice Versa. So cancelling the preorder doesn't really do anything, especially if you plan to buy it later anyway.

Also how is this canceling preorders over "that which must not be named" supposed to work exactly?

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Nintendo could care less if a tiny fraction of the fanbase cancelled their pre-order. And I'm pretty sure every single one of those people that cancelled their pre-order will end up buying the game regardless.

SoundVoltex

It's a sizeable precedent of disgust. When a game without actual delays or issues on its conception showcases this kind of spikes it shows on sales.

Trying to downplay this is like saying Konami treats it's franchises with respect.

bemani has been getting a lot better in the US... if that counts...

Back to the topic:
I did some research and I think it boils down to this.

I really think Ash deserves a win. He was shown to be one of the best trainers in Hoenn and Sinnoh. If it weren't for Alain, he would have been undoubtedly the best trainer in the Kalos conference by a HUGE margin, with JUST his Kalos regional team. In Sinnoh and Hoenn, he lost to the eventual conference champions. If it weren't for them, he would have likely won both conferences as well. It has been shown time and time again, since Johto, that Ash is an A class trainer, on levels of a conference champion.

Edit:
You guys should not underestimate how much "0.5%" means to Nintendo. That's a huge number of canceled orders, specifically if the main factor was because of the anime. They are not going to sit butts twiddling their thumbs in regards to that. Revenue wise, they're going to want to take as much as they can get.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Problem is: does the writers think the Ash deserves to win? If they did then Ash would have won Unova and/or Kalos.

knightwolf09

Problem is: does the writers think the Ash deserves to win? If they did then Ash would have won Unova and/or Kalos.

Actually it's more of

Writer 1: Ummm, what happens if Ash beats a league again?

Writer 2: I think he becomes a master?

Writer 1: Wouldn't that mean we can't use our cash cow anymore?

Writer 2: I don't know, I've forgotten how our show works ages ago.

Writer 3: I'm pretty sure winning a tournament doesn't automatically make him a mast-

Writer 1 and 2: SHUT UP WRITER 3 WE KNOW WHAT WERE DOING!!

Writer 1: So it's agreed that he'll lose the league, and we can keep making money.

Writer 2: Yeah, it's not like heroes in shonen anime win things anyway.

Thank you if you didn't stop reading that.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Actually it's more of

Writer 3: I'm pretty sure winning a tournament doesn't automatically make him a mast-

Writer 1: So it's agreed that he'll lose the league, and we can keep making money.

Writer 2: Yeah, it's not like heroes in shonen anime win things.

It's more like

Writer 1: We should do something.
Writer 2: Should we do something?
Writer 3: We should spin a wheel and see what place Ash should get before he loses.
All: Genius!

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Actually it's more of

Writer 2: Yeah, it's not like heroes in shonen anime win things anyway.

This is probably what happened. And the department will end up firing writer 3, and the trend will continue.