• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Ash really deserve to win a league?

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Considering he's improved his record, reaching the Top 2 in Kalos, I say he's trying his darnest to deserve a win

Him trying is kind of irrelevant though, as long as the status quo is against him.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

NPT

Just a member
Yes he does, but the writers won't let him win a league. He's gonna lose over and over again. It's frustrating, really. :/

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i always compared ash winning the league to team rocket capturing pikachu: both are super committed to their goals, but they'll never happen as long as the show goes on.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
i always compared ash winning the league to team rocket capturing pikachu: both are super committed to their goals, but they'll never happen as long as the show goes on.

Which one is more likely though, that's the question

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Which one is more likely though, that's the question

IMHO, Ash winning a league is more likely than Team Rocket succeeding in kidnapping Pikachu. Ash winning a league doesn't necessarily mean the end of the series, because the writers can always give him new challenges on his road to becoming a Pokémon Master and prevent him from actually becoming one until the anime ends. Team Rocket successfully kidnapping Pikachu and presenting him to Giovanni as a prize, on the other hand... Yeah, that creates all sorts of problems.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
IMHO, Ash winning a league is more likely than Team Rocket succeeding in kidnapping Pikachu. Ash winning a league doesn't necessarily mean the end of the series, because the writers can always give him new challenges on his road to becoming a Pokémon Master and prevent him from actually becoming one until the anime ends. Team Rocket successfully kidnapping Pikachu and presenting him to Giovanni as a prize, on the other hand... Yeah, that creates all sorts of problems.

The day that Team Rocket succeeds in capturing Pikachu is the day that Giovanni's regime falls because they unwittingly brought Ash and all his furious Pokémon partners to confront the Boss himself. That would be delicious irony there.

Maybe that would be the grand finale of Pokémon after it's revealed that winning a League does not stop from Ash continuing his journey as a Pokémon Master.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

You're assuming Giovanni wouldn't fire them on the spot for wasting all this time on a Pikachu

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
You're assuming Giovanni wouldn't fire them on the spot for wasting all this time on a Pikachu

Well, Giovanni seems to find the trio to be more favorable these days. Trusting them to go to Alola and all that stuff with no indication of him wanting to get rid of them. Plus, I think he wouldn't find getting a Pikachu that threw a giant Electro Ball right at his face. Must be a powerful Pikachu to have.

Of course, I think he would be angry in hindsight given that Pikachu would bring Ash into his vicinity, and Ash (as the incarnation of Red) would most likely defeat him, thus ending Team Rocket in the same manner as Gen I.

You know, putting this in context, Ash should deserve to win at least one League because it isn't much of a game changer as say defeating Team Rocket. There's no reason why you should prevent Ash from something that cannot even as climatic as previous seasons now.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well, Giovanni seems to find the trio to be more favorable these days. Trusting them to go to Alola and all that stuff with no indication of him wanting to get rid of them. Plus, I think he wouldn't find getting a Pikachu that threw a giant Electro Ball right at his face. Must be a powerful Pikachu to have.

Of course, I think he would be angry in hindsight given that Pikachu would bring Ash into his vicinity, and Ash (as the incarnation of Red) would most likely defeat him, thus ending Team Rocket in the same manner as Gen I.

You know, putting this in context, Ash should deserve to win at least one League because it isn't much of a game changer as say defeating Team Rocket. There's no reason why you should prevent Ash from something that cannot even as climatic as previous seasons now.

His pet owned Pikachu. Team Rocket in the games was a joke, but in the anime the organization as a whole is basically SPECTRE. And Ash sure ain't James Bond

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Ash's inability to win a league has hurt the anime and TPCi badly now in the US - the anime lost Cartoon Network as a broadcaster likely because of the Kalos League loss.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Ash's inability to win a league has hurt the anime and TPCi badly now in the US - the anime lost Cartoon Network as a broadcaster likely because of the Kalos League loss.

I'm 100% certain Cartoon Network no longer broadcasting the Pokémon anime has absolutely nothing to do with Ash's loss in the Kalos League. I also don't think the Kalos League loss has hurt the anime as much as some people think (or like to think), but that's not the point of this discussion.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I don't quite see the correlation between how Satoshi did in the Kalos League and Cartoon Network's decision to drop the program. The two things don't seem to correspond, unless I'm missing key information about the subject.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

They were airing on the same network that thinks Teen Titans Go every second hour was a good idea. This is just plain wild mass guessing.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
He DID win a league: the Orange Islands. It may not be canon in the games but he did win the title of Champion. His battle with OI Drake was even mentioned to be a League battle. Why does no one count it as a League win? It's not like Ash had an easy battle considering the final match up for both sides were Pikachu who was pretty tired after battling a couple of rounds and Dragonite who is a pseudo-Legendary WITH a resistance to Pikachu's Electric attacks.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
He DID win a league: the Orange Islands. It may not be canon in the games but he did win the title of Champion. His battle with OI Drake was even mentioned to be a League battle. Why does no one count it as a League win? It's not like Ash had an easy battle considering the final match up for both sides were Pikachu who was pretty tired after battling a couple of rounds and Dragonite who is a pseudo-Legendary WITH a resistance to Pikachu's Electric attacks.

I think some people discount Ash's Orange Islands League win simply because it's not canon to the games, even though he did legitimately become League Champion. He also qualified to become a Frontier Brain in the Battle Frontier (which one could argue is also a type of League), but people seem to forget about or discount that, as well.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The Orange Islands and Battle Frontier weren't easy for Ash to win. The OI was also one of the few times Tauros was even used and the second and last major battle Lapras had before being released. And Brandon made things tough with Regice. It's not like his wins were literally handed to him like the Marsh Badge. Ash worked hard to win and each time his Pokémon battled so hard that they were worn out near the end.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Dragonite is a Dragon/Flying type, so it doesn't have a resistance to Electric types. And the Orange League wasn't a tournament with many trainers competing, so it wasn't a traditional League.

Last edited:
i think its more that winning a traditional league means that you are the best - there are no exceptions. multiple trainers can challenge drake and win though, as well as challenge the battle frontier. winning these doesn't truly mean you are the best

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
i think its more that winning a traditional league means that you are the best - there are no exceptions. multiple trainers can challenge drake and win though, as well as challenge the battle frontier. winning these doesn't truly mean you are the best

Yes, winning a traditional League is much more difficult and a great achievement. It also gives a trainer access to the Champion's League, i.e., the chance to become a Champion. I thought that would happen in XY with Ash being so much mature and competent in that series and making to the finals, but alas! The status quo once again intervened!