• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Ash's Pikachu lack confidence in itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thriller

Its almost time
You know, I've been observing something pretty peculiar over the years with this franchise. From a marketing standpoint, the reason Ash's Pikachu has not, and will not evolve is because Pikachu is (still) the whole face of Pokemon, why remove the mascot from the Television show?

Well, that doesn't satisfy me at all, so I've decided to ponder further and further into this and figure out the actual reason. Apparently, the stated reason is that Pikachu "Is a lot stronger than most other Pikachus", but this is actually completely made up by Team Rocket in the second episode. There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, or special about Ash's Pikachu. TR seemed to completely miss the fact there were like 15 other Pikachu's at the Pokemon Center, which is why Team Rocket lost the way they did...

But it seems to me that with all this yammering and constant stalking on Team Rockets part, through the years, Pikachu itself has developed the sense that it is "Stronger than most normal Pikachu", in a complete arrogant fashion, and Pikachu does get pretty arrogant starting around the Advance Generation (thank Goodness, no more Togepi!)

So Pikachu arrogantly believes its really powerful, and thus doesn't want to evolve because it would be "Too Powerful."

But you know something? Arrogance isn't the same as Confidence.

Perhaps Pikachu expresses on the outside that to be a Raichu would make it overtly powerful, too powerful that it doesn't need all that power to be "The Best it can be." Thanks to Team Rocket's constant stalking of it, it already feels like its "The Best it can be." but the actuality of it is Pikachu is scared, scared of the new Powers it will possess as a Raichu.

Remember, Pikachu hated Ash when they first met, and they only patched it up because Ash was so goddamn insistent in being friends with it. If Ash was actually a Pokemon Trainer with sense, he would have picked Pikachu up and thrown it onto the Pidgey to capture it, instead of f*cking the whole thing up with those Spearows. (also, WHY DID THE IDIOT ASH NOT CAPTURE ANY OF THE SPEAROWS??)

Pikachu doesn't want to evolve because it DOESN'T want to be the best it can for Ash, because Pikachu still holds the resentment from the Spearow attack, even though Ash did rescue it, the whole situation still broke Pikachu to tears, and it did accept at that point that it will be with Ash forever, but it still never got over the Spearow attack.

A lot of other events during Season 1 sure didn't help to change Pikachu's mind. For the same reason Bulbasaur didn't want to evolve, Pikachu SAW how much of a failure Ash was being with Charmeleon/Charizard (oh wait, how can Ash fail when HE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO DO ANYTHING BUT MAKE STUPID FACES AT THE DISOBEDIENT POKEMON!!!!????) who too, had arrogance problems but didn't care.

Of course, all of this only applies to the first Season since the writing team has changed many times over the years, but this is what I think.

I think it lacks personality nowadays more than anything else and is too much of an Ash clone for its own good (I know Pokemon tend to adopt characteristics of their trainers, but this certainly is taking that a bit too far, IMO), but I'd say it lacks a bit of confidence in itself at times when battling other Pokemon. However, sometimes it can be arrogant at times as well in finding itself superior over its evolved form and that evolving wouldn't make it better in any circumstance. It's weird...

Last edited:

fitzy909

Just another guy
I think it lacks personality nowadays more than anything else and is too much of an Ash clone for its own good (I know Pokemon tend to adopt characteristics of their trainers, but this certainly is taking that a bit too far, IMO), but I'd say it lacks a bit of confidence in itself at times when battling other Pokemon. However, sometimes it can be arrogant at times as well in finding itself superior over its evolved form and that evolving wouldn't make it better in any circumstance. It's weird...

Yeah, Pikachu has lost its own personality and has become Ash in Pokemon form. Pikachu had a really distinct attitude in OS, but now...not so much. His confidence is still fairly high, although you would think that after becoming super powerful and then getting nerfed each generation would lower his confidence.

MattySadler

I wouldn't even credit Pikachu with being an Ash clone to be honest, its simply just an extension of Ash. The original Pikachu had so much personality, but once it settled it became quite boring. Still got massive love for that duo though, best friendship ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.