• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Journey’s series like to troll the Pokémon fandom?

Yce288

Grass type FTW
But wait, there’s more. Iris battling Cynthia.

Its like Journey’s read all the negative feedback the past shows got and thought what can we do to top this?
What is wrong with Iris battling Cynthia?
I can understand thinking Alain and Ash will battle, since Alain has a personal history with Ash compared to most of the competition. But they never foreshadowed Alain or Greninja battling, and they made it clear that Greninja is busy doing his own thing long before Alain was reintroduced. Greninja's return was to show that Ash didn't forget about it, it's still doing important things, and it's still one of Ash's most impressive Pokemon. It passing the torch to Lucario was a way to not only develop Lucario, but to show Greninja having an impact. It doesn't have to battle to be relevant. And a respectful return (ignoring Ash-Greninja aside) is way better than nothing at all.
Meanwhile Ash's precious Pidgeot still waits for Ash to come back to it.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Not really.

The show is product made to advertise other products like toys and the games. That is the ultimate goal, and writing a good show is secondary, so we'll see things like Pokemon being given a lot of spotlight (Pikachu, Piplup) for littler narrative purpose. It's evidence that they have other priorities and probably mandates when writing. I guess Ash not winning a league was a mandate was one of those mandates until Sun and Moon. I don't think they really troll older fans. They focus on their demographic of 6-year-old Japanese kids and try to balance what those kids might like and what they can do, and the general plan that they've laid out for the series. Trolling fans places too much importance on older fans. I'm sure they throw some things in there for long-time viewers, but I don't think they make a fight like "Alain vs Leon" with the intention of trolling anyone. It implies malice when their are loads of other possible explanations like incompetence, marketing goals, general plans, etc.
This. This is the only post that matters in this thread.
Meanwhile Ash's precious Pidgeot still waits for Ash to come back to it.
That was something the dub added.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So why is it not mentioned in Bulbapedia as a dub only thing?
they even say Ash mentioned his promise to Pidgeot when he talked to Falkner.
It's not in Bulbapedia. But there is a good breakdown of the original dialog and 4Kids translation here:

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
There is so much wrong with Journey’s. Once the series ends ill give my full thoughts on the good(hardly) & all the bad. Not even Best Wishes had me do this at the end of its run, so that in itself says ALOT.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
There is so much wrong with Journey’s. Once the series ends ill give my full thoughts on the good(hardly) & all the bad. Not even Best Wishes had me do this at the end of its run, so that in itself says ALOT.
Because as we know, a writer has to absolutely come up with trash writing to top BW as the worst written series of the anime. JN writers keep one-upping themselves in this department on what is effectively a fanfic on steroids.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I loved BW.. thought it was lovely and has nice companions
Yeah it was the best in terms of companions for sure, it had the best concept with the constant tournaments and lost of battles, they should have just had balanced it better with more pokemon appearing and evolving. Dent and Iris had a great dynamic with Satoshi.

On topic I don't understand what you guys what, people complain about Goh at the start of the series having to much focus and being "flawless" somehow, the writers kept going against what people wrote here, like him not having flaws, no struggles, not liking his Pokemon, all of that was explored in the anime, Koharu is useless shows up for Eevee episodes, was an a-hole in the first episodes for the most part and people still like here somehow, I'm sure if their places were changeng Goh would be called usless and Koharu a prodigy, people would even complain about her having flaws.

Now the series has been focusing mostly on Satoshi and the M8 with Go getting the project mew episodes, people can't complain Satoshi lost the screentime like they used to. We got cameos from most of the series characters, we got plots finished, we got to see old pokemon, we got lost of battles(should have been more and more fleshed out I agree).

As a Pokemon fan that likes to play the games and finish my dex I really like Goh goal (no one is calling themselves hoarders and poachers for doing the same as him ingame), and since I like the anime to be focused on battles instead of random Team Rocket episodes or episodes to feed shippers, this series is perfect for me.

I'm happy with this series for the most part, I would have liked reserves to be used from the start and have a few more battles, otherwise I'm satisfied.

BobbbidyBob

Yeah it was the best in terms of companions for sure, it had the best concept with the constant tournaments and lost of battles, they should have just had balanced it better with more pokemon appearing and evolving. Dent and Iris had a great dynamic with Satoshi.

On topic I don't understand what you guys what, people complain about Goh at the start of the series having to much focus and being "flawless" somehow, the writers kept going against what people wrote here, like him not having flaws, no struggles, not liking his Pokemon, all of that was explored in the anime, Koharu is useless shows up for Eevee episodes, was an a-hole in the first episodes for the most part and people still like here somehow, I'm sure if their places were changeng Goh would be called usless and Koharu a prodigy, people would even complain about her having flaws.

Now the series has been focusing mostly on Satoshi and the M8 with Go getting the project mew episodes, people can't complain Satoshi lost the screentime like they used to. We got cameos from most of the series characters, we got plots finished, we got to see old pokemon, we got lost of battles(should have been more and more fleshed out I agree).

As a Pokemon fan that likes to play the games and finish my dex I really like Goh goal (no one is calling themselves hoarders and poachers for doing the same as him ingame), and since I like the anime to be focused on battles instead of random Team Rocket episodes or episodes to feed shippers, this series is perfect for me.

I'm happy with this series for the most part, I would have liked reserves to be used from the start and have a few more battles, otherwise I'm satisfied.
Yes I agree that the ideas and the concept behind Journeys were great/genius that is why when it got announced we were all exited, but ....the execution...well..... I mean the “what” is great but it’s in the “how “ that could have been handled better

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Outside of Alan they haven't trolled anyone, almost every old character returned to give development to a current one and Ash's battles have all had better strategy used.

Doesn’t help that in a battle-driven competition(you know to determine the strongest by defeating Leon), they resort to quick battles & most were 2 VS 2, which made no sense. They should have been all 3 on 3, mixed in with 3 VS 3(Best 2 of 3 wins like they most recently did in todays episode), and Double Battles if they insisted on doing 2 on 2. They seemed more invested in nonsense fillers. SM had this issue too so don’t think Im just targeting Journey’s. X&Y had it to an extent, how do you go from 2v2, 3v2, 3v3, 3v3, 3v3, 2v2, DB, 3v3(in gym battles)? If they weren’t going to really give a **** about Ash’s goal, they should have just had Journey’s focus on Project Mew & their pointless shenanigans if they were going to crap all over Ash’s PWC goal.

TheNewGuy

The semis should absolutely be 6-on-6, come on now.

The show once committed to a 6-on-6 against freaking Katie. Who the hell is Katie? And yet now they can't commit to a 6-on-6 against Cynthia? Come on, ffs

The thing that gives me pause is that there was only - afaik - one completed full battle in Alola, the final one against Kukui. It could be that they're just saving them for last now, but my god, come on. Ash is going to trounce her, she is going to lose, it is going to be absolutely glorious (I hope anyway), and I want her defeat to last as long as possible.

ZarudeSandstorm

Pokemon Journeys is trash series in writing department. First problem occured when they made Iris a champion.It makes zero sense.
Second problem is when Ash didn't/doesn't use reserves for E4/Champions(Drasna) and yet staff somehow magically made his current on hand Pokemon E4 level/Champion level. Pikachu should logically be Champ level and I would say Mega Lucario for E4. Dracovish, Farfretch'd, Dragonite and Gengar are all FB level. Last problem is that Paul should've been in M8 instead of Iris.

Last edited: