• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does Journey’s series like to troll the Pokémon fandom?

I know this is a bit premature, but I would like to ask y'all opinion n Pokemon Journeys so far, adding disappointments vs. successes in the balance, for you, where is it on your personal list?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Paul would legit be in the PWC, but his excuse for not being it in just doesn't hold water. He didn't mention Brandon or being busy trying to beat him, which could have been a better excuse (or not, if he did the PWC as a training method).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know this is a bit premature, but I would like to ask y'all opinion n Pokemon Journeys so far, adding disappointments vs. successes in the balance, for you, where is it on your personal list?
It's better than OS, Hoenn's section of AG, & BW but worse than Kanto AG, DP, XY, & SM so about the middle imo

I'm sick of Tomiyasu hate

-People complained that he "hated XY" and then he shut everyone's mouth by giving Kalos great importance for the development of Journeys characters and pokemon, such as dracovish, sirfetch (clemont), chloe (serena), Greninja (lucario) even making Greninja defeat the Shillmon of the moment, which had never happened before

-People said that he only gave importance to goh and that ash would be relegated and in the end ash ended up having many episodes for himself and his training ,also, heck sure the idea of pokemon go and catching all the pokemon was the decision of most importante people than Tomiyasu and who make decisions for the anime , the staff can't make goh train and fight to catch all the pokemon because it would stretch like a thousand chapters

-People said that gengar would be a jobber and that lucario would have all the shine during Journeys, and so far all of ash's pokemon have been important in their own way, keeping this good aspect of the SM series

I know guys, it's a shitty and stupid decision the ''NO RESERVES'' , but IS IT REALLY THE WRITERS' FAULT??? And if maybe, if just maybe, the Marketing Team is the one that makes the final decision? let's stop being so childish please, it's okay to criticize, I know there are bad things like the supposed elimination of Ash-Greninja (recently in an interview they said it was very popular, so they may still be saving it for something), Chloe's approach to introducing the Eeves that was not exciting at all and you had this feeling that the whole moral of this story could have been resolved in one episode with Virgil and then in the next episode, Lana talking to her about not evolving, or maybe Dawn Stagnation .but don't start acting like psychopaths and calling Tomiyasu a terrorist.

Last edited:

ZarudeSandstorm

Well that's what we don't know about since Iris was off-screen. Champions are no longer treated as god-like trainers, Iris only became champion of one region. While they should of given a flashback of Alder, I don't see it too unbelieveable what little we see him do.
Nah, it's perfectly fine Paul is not in the PWC. This isn't DP-era Paul, he's still portrayed as very powerful, but he wants to forge his own path.
Nope it is not fine lmao.
I am not talking about them being unbeatable or beatable. I am talking how trash writing is by make some Pokemon magically strongest or extra strong while in previous series that never happened.

Easy fix for Journeys. Make Iris gym leader( she said that Drayden is her teacher which make no sense how can gym leader be a teacher to Champion.) Anyway: make her GL and Dragon Master in making. Make Pikachu vs Dragonite(I)/Haroxus. Dragonite(A) vs her new dragon Pokemon. After that goodbye Iris.

When Ash battles E4/Champion make him use reserves. There writing is fixed.M8: Ash, Leon, Lance, Diantha,Cynthia, Alan,Paul and Steven.

Heekful

-People complained that he "hated XY" and then he shut everyone's mouth by giving Kalos great importance for the development of Journeys characters and pokemon, such as dracovish, sirfetch (clemont), chloe (serena), Greninja (lucario) even making Greninja defeat the Shillmon of the moment, which had never happened before

-People said that he only gave importance to goh and that ash would be relegated and in the end ash ended up having many episodes for himself and his training ,also, heck sure the idea of pokemon go and catching all the pokemon was the decision of most importante people than Tomiyasu and who make decisions for the anime , the staff can't make goh train and fight to catch all the pokemon because it would stretch like a thousand chapters

-People said that gengar would be a jobber and that lucario would have all the shine during Journeys, and so far all of ash's pokemon have been important in their own way, keeping this good aspect of the SM series

I know guys, it's a shitty and stupid decision the ''NO RESERVES'' , but IS IT REALLY THE WRITERS' FAULT??? And if maybe, if just maybe, the Marketing Team is the one that makes the final decision? let's stop being so childish please, it's okay to criticize but don't start acting like psychopaths and calling Tomiyasu a terrorist

The hate is deserved and I will only talk about about the XY part because I don't even watch Journeys as I don't care about it, I only watched the characters return episodes and plan to watch the Masters eight, so the other parts I can't judge.

Yes he made XY characters come back but for what ? Most of this was about retconning the popular things, Clemont looked like a begginer trainer when he battled Ash while Ash struggled against him during their gym battle back in XY and I don't consider JN Ash more powerful than his XY counterpart.

He retconned Ash Greninja out of nowhere and made his return episode kinda... Pointless ? He was just here to glorify his new toy Lucario.

About Serena, he deleted her from the flashback in JN103 for... No reasons at all ? I still can't find a good reason even 2 months after the episode, classic Tomiyasu non sense.

In the actual Serena episode he made some good callbacks (he storyboarded all the episodes he made callbacks to back in XY so it's not even an impressive feat tbh) but he somewhat made a short 30 sec reunion between 2 characters that fans have been waiting to be reunited for YEARS , I'm not asking for a kiss callback or blushing stuffs I don't care about that, I don't see the point of Ash and Serena meeting for 30sec and have one line to say to each other, again another pointless decision by Tomiyasu. We still don't know if anything is retconned about Serena but if she doesn't appear again till the end of the JN saga, we can assume her crush got retconned.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
They're either dealing with heavy pressure from up top, or they're just that bad at their jobs. Either way, I don't think they're intentionally trying to piss people off; that's not how you run the advertising and marketing arm of a billion-dollar franchise. Is there some obvious bias and favoritism in this series? Yeah, and I don't think any rational person will deny that. Does that mean there's some sort of conspiracy to piss off fans of a certain season? Absolutely not, because OLM would sooner fire the whole anime staff than lose TPC's business.

Yes he made XY characters come back but for what ? Most of this was about retconning the popular things, Clemont looked like a begginer trainer when he battled Ash while Ash struggled against him during their gym battle back in XY and I don't consider JN Ash more powerful than his XY counterpart.
Clemont is a gym level trainer, eh, he's not strong

He retconned Ash Greninja out of nowhere and made his return episode kinda... Pointless ? He was just here to glorify his new toy Lucario.
Greninja was far superior to Lucario in this episode, also, is it confirmed that Ash-Greninja was retconed? What if Tomiyasu shuts us all up again?

About Serena, he deleted her from the flashback in JN103 for... No reasons at all ? I still can't find a good reason even 2 months after the episode, classic Tomiyasu non sense.
This answer is so obvious that I won't bother answering it.

It's incredibly funny that when people try to run defense for Journeys/Tomiyasu, their explanations amount to what are essentially one-line plot summaries for how well JN supposedly handled XY characters. Once you start to dig through the episodes, the episodes rang from mediocre to downright debasing core tenets of XY.

It's incredibly funny that when people try to run defense for Journeys/Tomiyasu, their explanations amount to what are essentially one-line plot summaries for how well JN supposedly handled XY characters. Once you start to dig through the episodes, the episodes rang from mediocre to downright debasing core tenets of XY.
absolutely against this, what you are saying makes no sense

Heekful

Clemont is a gym level trainer, eh, he's not strong

Greninja was far superior to Lucario in this episode, also, is it confirmed that Ash-Greninja was retconed? What if Tomiyasu shuts us all up again?

This answer is so obvious that I won't bother answering it.

- Doesn't change my point that they disrespected him

- If he shuts me up I'll just shut up ? But as of right now I'm still waiting and I think I can wait for long.

Tell me what's the answer then ? If you tell me "She wasn't in the context of the scene" yeah then why did Cilan got animated in a flashback when he wasn't part of the context ?

I'm sorry there's still 0 reason to not include Serena in that flashback, I'm glad JN105 followed because if not, I would have thought Tomiyasu simply deleted Serena from the anime canon... Which director would delete one of their most popular female character ? (confirmed by official japanese polls) probably a director that does a terrible job.

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
I come back a week or so later to see all of this. Paul not doing squat, terrible M8 matchups, and reserves not doing squat. Lol why does this surprise anyone at this point? When will y'all learn?

Mespritan

Another idiot Scott account. Banned.

Clemont was literally in a training battle to show how powerful those new moves were. I have no idea how you think he was disrespected, his Pokemon got KO'd but that wasn't even a proper battle. The whole episode showed how much Clemont had grown teaching Ash's pokemon moves and recognizing what Sirfetch'd was trying to do, and we also know he officially challenged Drasna at some point off-screen. And yes, Ash is supposed to be much stronger now.
How was Greninja's return episode pointless? We saw it school Ash's Lucario and defeat it easily, then decide to help train it by summoning it's aura, and then joined Ash and Lucario for a double attack about the vines. The whole episode showed Greninja as strong as he was, and the aura sphere that carried over to Lucario is what he used to defeat Raihan. I do agree removing the AshGreninja scenes in the flashback is odd, but not everything else.

In the actual Serena episode he made some good callbacks (he storyboarded all the episodes he made callbacks to back in XY so it's not even an impressive feat tbh) but he somewhat made a short 30 sec reunion between 2 characters that fans have been waiting to be reunited for YEARS , I'm not asking for a kiss callback or blushing stuffs I don't care about that, I don't see the point of Ash and Serena meeting for 30sec and have one line to say to each other, again another pointless decision by Tomiyasu. We still don't know if anything is retconned about Serena but if she doesn't appear again till the end of the JN saga, we can assume her crush got retconned.
We know good and well why they kept Ash and Serena's interactions brief, it was the best way to handle her return showing how much she grew on her own without shipping overtaking the episode. Most Serena and Amour fans loved the episode when it aired and you can look back at the old posts.

I come back a week or so later to see all of this. Paul not doing squat, terrible M8 matchups, and reserves not doing squat. Lol why does this surprise anyone at this point? When will y'all learn?
Paul not doing squat? He literally had a major role in the episode to train Ash for Masters 8, why do you comment without watching the episode?

I don't think any of those episodes were mediocre at all, since Korrina, Clemont/Bonnie, Serena and Greninja all had good episodes. I don't know what the hell is happening with Alan, but I'm content with the prior returns. The Drasna battle was lackluster but I don't count that as part of the returns since she never appeared in XY itself. Korrina coming back a second time to be friends with Bea was nice too. Changed flashbacks don't somehow de-value Greninja's return as weird as the change was.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
JN > BW > DP > AG > SM > Kanto > XY> Johto

XY would normally tie with Kanto, but I moved Kanto up because my kids really liked Orange Islands. I know BW is an unpopular pick, but I can forgive its flaws because it has a lot of elements I absolutely love. But I don't think any series is bad, per se.

Clemont was literally in a training battle to show how powerful those new moves were. I have no idea how you think he was disrespected, his Pokemon got KO'd but that wasn't even a proper battle. The whole episode showed how much Clemont had grown teaching Ash's pokemon moves and recognizing what Sirfetch'd was trying to do, and we also know he officially challenged Drasna at some point off-screen. And yes, Ash is supposed to be much stronger now.

How was Greninja's return episode pointless? We saw it school Ash's Lucario and defeat it easily, then decide to help train it by summoning it's aura, and then joined Ash and Lucario for a double attack about the vines. The whole episode showed Greninja as strong as he was, and the aura sphere that carried over to Lucario is what he used to defeat Raihan. I do agree removing the AshGreninja scenes in the flashback is odd, but not everything else.

We know good and well why they kept Ash and Serena's interactions brief, it was the best way to handle her return showing how much she grew on her own without shipping overtaking the episode. Most Serena and Amour fans loved the episode when it aired and you can look back at the old posts.

Paul not doing squat? He literally had a major role in the episode to train Ash for Masters 8, why do you comment without watching the episode?

I don't think any of those episodes were mediocre at all, since Korrina, Clemont/Bonnie, Serena and Greninja all had good episodes. I don't know what the hell is happening with Alan, but I'm content with the prior returns. The Drasna battle was lackluster but I don't count that as part of the returns since she never appeared in XY itself. Korrina coming back a second time to be friends with Bea was nice too. Changed flashbacks don't somehow de-value Greninja's return as weird as the change was.

THANKS

RafaSceptile

absolutely against this, what you are saying makes no sense
It is power-up, what did you expect?

This "favouritism" argument since the Lillie episode is their way to "justify" their insatisfaction with how what they like got treated in Journeys.

Which is funny because Serena got one of the best JN episodes overall and was satisfying in many ways, including for people who didn't care at all about her during XY.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
SM=DP/SM=DP/Kanto+OI=XY/XY=Kanto+OI/JN/BW/AG/Johto

Although to be fair I should probably count Johto in OS since I'm counting BF in AG, so

SM=DP/XY/JN/OS/BW/AG

No hate towards AG, i just personally find it boring even though BF is nicely written
BW is terribly written but fun, I've been rewatching lot of its clips lately
JN has been mediocre in many parts but has also done great stuff. It's really inconsistent but considering all of it I find enough value in it to place it above the other 3 mentioned
As much as I dunk on XYZ, the first two XY arcs are top tier, and XYZ has cool battles and the best villain plot. Plus JN did a really good job redeeming Serena, idc if the blue ribbon wasn't present there when the symbolism of what it represented was in the episode

Ah yes, I'm going to take delusional arguments from Scott who's created an account every other week(and now basically every other day) to push utter bullshit and whose " predictions " have been utterly obliterated as a total joke literally only coming out of a need to run defense for Journeys. If you were one of the same people running hilarious mental gymnastics for what happened in the Greninja episode, I'm immediately valuing your " opinion " a bit less seriously. Ditto for people who weren't fans of XY and XY characters in the first place and never understood why people liked them.

I'll address each point anyway before he inevitably gets banned again and his posts removed. I can write these posts all day and have already done these arguments before.
Clemont/Bonnie is one of the few areas where I've specifically praised JN for some decent character interactions, however, besides that, the episode fails in several departments. Incredibly horrible animation and bad action direction. Haphazardly paced episode with the battle being rushed and the actual " teaching " moment being much less substantial then you're actually making it out to be. Did people forget that the episode involved two incredibly boring OHKO moves and as I mentioned, contributing much less in helping Ash?
I don't think it was pointless. I think it shived Greninja's characterization and development heavily in favor of a mentorial role that lost a lot of value to me because of that coupled with again, traditional horrible JN animation. Can't believe people are understating how bad the retcon is for XY considering how significant Ash-Greninja was.

Literally, you're still writing what is essentially a summary for an episode. You can't even run proper defense for Journeys Scott. It's embarrassing. We saw Greninja " school " Lucario. And? He joined Ash and Lucario for a double attack about the vines. So? Why is this respectful? These are literally one-line summaries Scott.
You can read my two essays for the Serena episode, both of which I think have aged incredibly well and has led to more Serena/Amour fans looking at the episode skeptically.

Episode discussion essay: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/...nd-reunions-1194.697367/page-19#post-19356172

And for Amour: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/amourshipping-thread-v3.653815/page-312#post-19357297

TL;DR: They weren't good episodes

Last edited:

Mespritan

Another idiot Scott account. Banned.
Clemont/Bonnie is one of the few areas where I've specifically praised JN for some decent character interactions, however, besides that, the episode fails in several departments. Incredibly horrible animation and bad action direction. Haphazardly paced episode with the battle being rushed and the actual " teaching " moment being much less substantial then you're actually making it out to be. Did people forget that the episode involved two incredibly boring OHKO moves and as I mentioned, contributing much less in helping Ash?
The animation issues aside, which I don't think were that bad in that episode because there was barely any action in it (the Drasna battle was a mess, but that's a different issue), the episode had Clemont and Ash catch up with one another and Bonnie had the same cute moments from XY while also maturing a bit. The moves Ash used in this ep he defeated Drasna which, even though I agree that was one of the weakest PWC battles in general. I'm also not sure how it was paced bad because I never thought that training battle at the end was going to get a lot of screentime. People wrongly assumed it would be Ash vs. Clemont Round 2 or something, but I figured it wouldn't be.

I don't think it was pointless. I think it shived Greninja's characterization and development heavily in favor of a mentorial role that lost a lot of value to me because of that coupled with again, traditional horrible JN animation. Can't believe people are understating how bad the retcon is for XY considering how significant Ash-Greninja was.
I thought the Greninja ep was animated well, we're clearly not seeing the same animation issues. The Drasna battle was animated poorly, unless you're talking about those "still screens" that showed Greninja jump over the vines in a few shots and that doesn't bother me. Greninja basically became its own person (sort of similar to Mewtwo), where it's like its own trainer. It mentored Lucario and showed how strong it was in its base form. Its interactions with Ash also showed how much they're on equal terms now. I'll give you the flashbacks were stupid, but it is what it is.

I've read your posts before, you put too much emphasis on the blue ribbon when Serena's crush on Ash is still evident as shown at the end of the episode. The writers wanted to show Serena stand on her own and how far she's come without shipping taking over, hence why Ash was intentionally delayed by Wallace seeing her. Serena was basically repeating to Koharu the same advice Ash told her in XY, basically keeping Ash in her heart. The whole final scene on the docks was beautifully done as well. I'm not even much a shipper but it tugged at my heartstrings. I also liked how on the contest side they had Serena specialize in her appeal (note in Contests the trainer is not supposed to dance around with the pokemon like in tripokalons), while also wrapping up Koharu's arc too. Seeing some other stuff like Braixen evolved was an added bonus.